Faithful Cartographer HUD Feedback

Wasteland Watcher

New Survival/health HUD is at the perfect location, center bottom, thank you :)

In short I like the new HUD -- nicely immersive -- but need to point out a few flaws:

- "shielded from wind" icon needs to be at bottom of screen with all my important info.

- time of day/night "clock" needs to be at bottom of screen with all my important info.

My eyes should only need to glance at *one* part of my screen for pertinent health/environmental info. We should not have to look from bottom center to the top of the screen after checking our body temp to see whether or not I am shielded from the wind *and then* shift my eyes to the upper-right of the screen to see how many hours of daylight I have remaining. 

Overall condition should probably be moved closer to the center.

Edit (6/12): I had no idea what the "smell of blood" icon was for two IRL days -- it looks like a "warmth" icon. Perhaps making the character voice a remark on smell one time when the icon first appears could "explain it" in an immersive manner?

52 minutes ago, Wasteland Watcher said:

- "shielded from wind" icon needs to be at bottom of screen with all my important info.

- time of day/night "clock" needs to be at bottom of screen with all my important info.

My eyes should only need to glance at *one* part of my screen for pertinent health/environmental info. We should not have to look from bottom center to the top of the screen after checking our body temp to see whether or not I am shielded from the wind *and then* shift my eyes to the upper-right of the screen to see how many hours of daylight I have remaining. 

I lost count of how many times I (and others) stated the above during testing..

I actually don't like the "center bottom". I found it was much easier to read when it was all concentrated on the bottom left, the icons are now too spread apart and I feel like I am reading a line in the book where as before I only needed to focus on a part of the screen for a very short period of time. The fact that the icons are harder to read than the bars (not necessarily anything bad with this) help exaggerate the feeling that I need to stop and check if I am cold instead of doing it on the fly like before (which is something natural for your character to know if he is cold or not, should not be rocket science).

I also don't agree with some of your suggested moves (e.g. day / night at bottom) but all of this could be solved if Hinterlands would let us customize our HUD

What I really don't like is that I can't see straight away what my "Feels Like" is, I have to go into a menu to read how cold I am. Same is with the "hidden" clothing menu, why can't there just be a tab in the Radial Menu for clothing? No, I have to open radial, click on status, then click on cloths. This breaks immersion tremendously, please fix this.

5 minutes ago, ChillPlayer said:

What I really don't like is that I can't see straight away what my "Feels Like" is, I have to go into a menu to read how cold I am. Same is with the "hidden" clothing menu, why can't there just be a tab in the Radial Menu for clothing? No, I have to open radial, click on status, then click on cloths. This breaks immersion tremendously, please fix this.

Agreed. I normally don't go all the way to that screen but I admit I do so I can check the "windspeed" as I carry torches (WHAT happened to the Brand??) regularly. As in if it's too windy I stay indoors:P

35 minutes ago, ChillPlayer said:

Same is with the "hidden" clothing menu, why can't there just be a tab in the Radial Menu for clothing? No, I have to open radial, click on status, then click on cloths.

Are you playing on PC/Mac/Linux? If so, pressing the 'c' key is the fastest way to the clothing menu.

30 minutes ago, Wasteland Watcher said:

(WHAT happened to the Brand??)

Gone.. as is brandishing. We're now back to the old throwing mechanism.

(on the bright side, torches pulled from fires last significantly less time than crafted torches)

5 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Are you playing on PC/Mac/Linux? If so, pressing the 'c' key is the fastest way to the clothing menu.

Gone.. as is brandishing. We're now back to the old throwing mechanism.

(on the bright side, torches pulled from fires last significantly less time than crafted torches)

You know, I used to brandish OFTEN. It worked pretty well too!! Of course I only did it when I actually was fed up and in the mood to kill. But my FIRST priority is always "get to Point B ASAP, unscathed." I wish we had the option to either throw OR brandish. 

And it's weird that we get a TORCH from a campfire again instead of a proper brand, even though torch lasts less time...it still seems weird.
It's like we went back to using placeholders! :S

1 minute ago, Wasteland Watcher said:

You know, I used to brandish OFTEN. It worked pretty well too!!

There were more than a few comments during testing that brandishing worked better, and felt more realistic, than pulling torches from fires, and throwing them.

1 minute ago, Wasteland Watcher said:

I wish we had the option to either throw OR brandish. 

That was something that was wished for quite a few times, too..

Just now, JAFO said:

There were more than a few comments during testing that brandishing worked better, and felt more realistic, than pulling torches from fires, and throwing them.

That was something that was wished for quite a few times, too..

Here's to hoping they add it back! :P/Y  <-yes that's a cheesy martini!

At least pressing F is instant both ON and OFF. I'm not so much bothered by the feels like but the general feeling of imprecision that those icons give. No way to easelly and preciselly understand when you're running of of calories / food / temp, making extimations is even harder. But it fits the visual that people like so it's here to stay no point to talk in a feedback way about it.

1 minute ago, togg said:

At least pressing F is instant both ON and OFF. I'm not so much bothered by the feels like but the general feeling of imprecision that those icons give. No way to easelly and preciselly understand when you're running of of calories / food / temp, making extimations is even harder. But it fits the visual that people like so it's here to stay no point to talk in a feedback way about it.

I honestly very much like the new HUD and am grateful we can still access "actual" calorie and temp data in the submenus. Very immersive :)

Just now, Wasteland Watcher said:

I honestly very much like the new HUD and am grateful we can still access "actual" calorie and temp data in the submenus. Very immersive :)

Yea I don't care that much either at this point, I saw this coming with the clothing update. I know I'm in the minority.

I'm way more sad than they destroyed the pleasure of the looting mechanic where stuff would pop up during it. Makes you wonder to the things that you can achieve by luck in a creative process. I still hope it will come back but I'm not holding my breath.

9 minutes ago, togg said:

Yea I don't care that much either at this point, I saw this coming with the clothing update. I know I'm in the minority.

I'm way more sad than they destroyed the pleasure of the looting mechanic where stuff would pop up during it. Makes you wonder to the things that you can achieve by luck in a creative process. I still hope it will come back but I'm not holding my breath.

Well for interface, turn on "CTS" setting for a similar to old style looting/use mechanic. 

Another thing I've noticed is that when you enter a building and loot something, if you don't like the results then exit the game and reload. Sometimes you get different stuff.

11 minutes ago, Wasteland Watcher said:

Well for interface, turn on "CTS" setting for a similar to old style looting/use mechanic. 

Another thing I've noticed is that when you enter a building and loot something, if you don't like the results then exit the game and reload. Sometimes you get different stuff.

That's a very bad bug we are reporting!

I selcted CTS already but it's not the same. Loot appears only at the end.

5 hours ago, JAFO said:

Didn't cross my mind today (after a few weeks absence) to use a shortcut, was looking for it in the Radial and there it's buried. New players might even not discover this until late in the game by accident.

43 minutes ago, JAFO said:

A lot of us miss that..

No other game has that very cool, reward mechanic. Usually, it's click on a container and see everything in it and then click 'take all'. Hinterland added anticipation to looting...but decided to kill it :/

I'm an xb1 user. I gotta say I like the new HUD...I think it provides a much more sensory experience, almost like you now have to play by feeling and intuition rather than looking at bars and numbers.

I like the time gauge with the sun and moon instead of the number of hours of darkness/daylight. There have been a few times I woke up and didn't know if it was late night or early morning, which I think really engages you into the game even more.

The only problem I have, not a major issue, is that the "feels like" indicator was more useful previously. I think this is critical especially when outdoors, as some other people stated. I dont like being in those life or death situations, then having to press start and navigate just to see how cold I am...again, not complaining, and I think the update is huge. The stone throwing is CRUCIAL

2 hours ago, michael_martin said:

The only problem I have, not a major issue, is that the "feels like" indicator was more useful previously. I think this is critical especially when outdoors, as some other people stated. I dont like being in those life or death situations, then having to press start and navigate just to see how cold I am...again, not complaining, and I think the update is huge. The stone throwing is CRUCIAL

I agree, I used to like seeing 'feels like' when checking quick stats. I wish we could hold a flare in one hand and a stone in the other. Stand down the wolf with the flare and then bean him with the stone :D

2 minutes ago, SnowWalker said:

Stand down the wolf with the flare and then bean him with the stone :D

Don't bother trying to bean wolves with stones.. doesn't work, from all reports.

What does work, apparently, is using a stone to distract them instead.

I'm warming quite a bit to Faithful Cartographer, I actually like the vaguer elements of the new condition bars, it makes more sense being less sure. The only thing left that I still really don't like is the icon placement of alerts on the main HUD screen, I wish there was an option to only have the red thermometer, thirst, etc only show up when you hit the tab. It kind of spoils my immersion having those red information icons floating about you see, and the way I see it is that you don't really need that information in your face constantly. Just the audio and a brief alert flashing up would be enough to have you checking tab more often. The less on my screen the more I feel like I'm there, you see. I'd also like to have the scent and wind icons lower left near the sprint icon, or at least have them appear next to each other, rather than having one encroach further down. 

I have however turned around completely on the new sprint icon, I now prefer it to the old bar! So yay for that. Overall, Faithful Cartographer is an very good update, just that quibble above preventing me from hugging it tight. :)

Archived