One Last Addition...

cekivi

One Last Addition...  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My only comment to this would be that more backpacks and such would not help with storing more than 66 lbs of items. It just makes more storage space to amount to 66 lbs. I can't really think of an analogy, but it doesn't make much sense that adding more bookbags would give you more storage space. It's the carrying capacity Hinterland is stressing, not container space.

1 hour ago, CalNieDaGtarGuy said:

My only comment to this would be that more backpacks and such would not help with storing more than 66 lbs of items. It just makes more storage space to amount to 66 lbs. I can't really think of an analogy, but it doesn't make much sense that adding more bookbags would give you more storage space. It's the carrying capacity Hinterland is stressing, not container space.

I wasn't saying a bigger backpack would increase the carry weight.  I -would really like- them to increase the carry weight.  It would be nice.  
I was asking for a static, craftable container and used the simple no-sew cloth bag as an example.
I scavenge and dismantle everything I come across and, inevitably, I run out of storage space.  My point was that a simple, static container that I could craft and place wherever to store/organize all of my items would be something that I would be happy to see in the final sandbox update.

The option to tune difficulty for yourself.

I think the current difficulties are good(ish) at setting up tiers of difficulties for players, making them harder(for different reasons) or easier than the others. I don't think that how things are, are bad. But if we could set how difficult it was for ourselves, I can almost guarantee that most people would choose to never use the 4 difficulties currently provided ever again. Because even if you like the current difficulties, there are always certain things that people would want just a little different. Maybe someone wants interloper to still give you knives/guns, just at a super low rate? What if they're crazy about difficulty, and want stalker level wolves IN interloper? Or maybe you really like voyager, but wish the wolves were more dangerous, though not as numerous as stalker? Just giving more options open to the player, will allow them more freedom to enjoy the game how they'd like, without looking into mods after the game is released.  

I'll be completely honest with you though, fine tuning your own gameplay would make the game too easy for some. Yes, some people would want to create an insane difficulty beyond that of Interloper, but each and every "tier" has its own ups and downs that make it hardcore survival. (Except for Pilgrim. There's nothing really difficult about pilgrim.)

I would be the first to be the guy who chooses interloper difficulty, but WITHOUT wolves or probably even bears. I don't know why, but I seem to have an irrational fear of the wolves, even over the bears. (If anyone has advice for me on how to "overcome" it, feel free to message me ^_^) My point is, there will be folks like me who will remove wolves from gameplay, making the game far too easy. (What's TLD without Fluffy?)

I hope you understand what I'm trying to get at.

I can see how some would see it as watering the game down by altering/removing something that is iconic or key to making the game play/feel as it was intended.  That said, I don't see much of a problem with being able to fine-tune your own gameplay.  Even if you did remove the wolves/bears.  Everyone is different.  Maybe you want to focus on harsh weather survival as opposed to violent wildlife?  Or vice versa, you don't want to worry about blizzards but really want your face chewed off?  Or, for CalNieDaGtarGuy, you want to do that thing where you expose yourself to your fears in order to overcome them (or just get more acquainted/comfortable with one survival aspect).  So you nix the weather and the bears, but leave the wolves.  You could alter their aggressiveness step-by-step until you're comfortable contending with them in a normal game.  Some people might feel that would dilute the feeling of accomplishment from the game, but not everyone has the same goals and some may feel very accomplished in finally mastering a single aspect of a game that has given them trouble.  *shrug*  To each their own.  Ultimately, it's up to the devs.
Personally, I both hate and love it when I walk out of a building and the first thing I hear is barking and paws in the snow.  Then it's the rapid spin to figure out where that fleabag is coming in from...  I swear some of those wolves are like angry, furry Jehova's Witnesses prowling outside your front door ready to put you on the path to salvation... or was that salivation?  They do look rather hungry...

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎2017‎-‎06‎-‎11 at 10:54 PM, Uriel said:

This would be the worst.  But as a rural Canuck that's been blown off course more than once, I have to admit this would be a really nice touch.

Exactly. I've been out in bad weather and thought I knew where I was only to exit the bush ~100m or more from where I was expecting :D 

I'm a little saddened to see some things excluded from the list (notably a couple of the much more common or heavily posted to threads - climbing restriction, sleep and condition etc, more craftable items). However, votes added.

Blizzards blowing you off course - could be annoying as hell, but would certainly add a challenge and some realistic behaviour. Not sure it's overly necessary though given how much you might already be turning around with low visibility to try and get your bearings.

Food and water freezing - would be a nightmare - especially if you had yet to find matches, or had a seriously limited quantity - unless it excluded carried items.

Wolf packs stalking behaviour - well, i'd rather better 'wolf behaviour', not so much the 'pack' element.

Cooking system overhaul? As in real time cooking? No thanks, its one of the best ways of controllably passing time* when there is little else to do instead - especially when it's dark. (* In intervals with greater accuracy than the 'pass time' feature)

House junk - To be honest, I'm not sure what you meant by this

Craftable containers - hell,yes please!

Fire mechanic overhaul? Am I missing something here? what is particularly broken with it?

Difficulty settings - would be nice to have some control. I feel the jump for many players between pilgrim and voyager is way steeper than it should be. From wolves and bears running away from you, to having packs of possibly 4 or 5 - even pretty early on in your survival run on the 'easier' maps.

Hey @Miniwizard. I knew I left a lot of items off the list but not a lot of people had read/responded to my original post. As a consequence, the items on the list were only those posted to the thread before I made the poll. The categories were those in bold in the original posts - I tried not to change anything so folks could go read the author's original intent. House junk in particular was @Uriel's idea and involves using "junk" items to customise and personalise your living space. 

What I'd like to see is, once your firemaking skill hits 3 (and you no longer need kindling) that the use of kindling when starting a fire actually speeds it up. That way you don't need to carry as much kindling anymore, but it doesn't become totally useless either. Different kinds of kindling could then give a different boost, or all the same.

15 minutes ago, Miniwizard said:

@cekivi Ah, my bad. When I initially saw this thread a few weeks back, I thought you were gathering the top suggestions. DIdn't realise they had to be submitted in here. (guessing quite a few folk also didn't :D hehe)

Nope! While I originally wanted to do that my thesis was due at the end of June so I was far to busy to even attempt that! :D 

Now that it's submitted I have some time to finally get back on the forums again ^_^

Archived