Faithful Cartographer - can't climb ropes

fearofspam

2 hours ago, grimreefer24601 said:

I know it's not a fix, but I have found at least one way down TWM never using a rope.  It's possible to descend from Summit to Secluded Ledge, and then down past the open Cave.  Average run I sprain an ankle and wrist, but I've made it down that path enough that there's only wood left on the Mountain.  5 runs or so.  I still think the mechanic is convoluted, but my no ropes way is the fastest down I've found.

I can't picture what you're describing.  I don't have anything called "secluded ledge" on my map.  I'd love for you to do a youtube video of it or something.

5941eb2c4a357_TWMroute.thumb.jpg.6cfdb798327109b21d6cfa62e705403b.jpg

I guess it's called Secluded Shelf not ledge.  I'll try to make a video if I get the time.  Leave the cave at the Summit go right.  You'll see a hill you can slowly descend.  Got down a little and head right.  You have to get around the mountain a bit.  You can see the rope to get to Secluded Shelf if you go down too far.  You have to jump a couple of rocks to get down.  Then head down the slope from Secluded.  If you keep left you end up before the cave (if I remember right), keep right and you end up after the Open Cave.  All points are shown on this in game map.

I'll see if I can video a descent.

• 3 weeks later...

Geltaz has a video of getting down TWM with no ropes. I don’t want to link it for fear of the devs making it no longer a possibility. As it stands I am not going to even bother with TWM unless the climbing weight restrictions are reverted/removed. I may not play at all. I loved this game a week ago when I found it, this is my first major depressive blow to gameplay. It has taken the wind out of my sails.

We're already aware of Geltaz's video, @JoE Smash, and you are welcome to share it if you'd like.

While the team does look into glitches and exploits, we're not out to ruin anyone's fun. While I can't promise the possible pathways on Timberwolf Mountain will never change, we do our best to focus on problems that work against our efforts to create a thoughtful and immersive world. 

4 hours ago, Mel Guille said:

We're already aware of Geltaz's video, @JoE Smash, and you are welcome to share it if you'd like.

While the team does look into glitches and exploits, we're not out to ruin anyone's fun. While I can't promise the possible pathways on Timberwolf Mountain will never change, we do our best to focus on problems that work against our efforts to create a thoughtful and immersive world. 

Well @Mel Guillecould you guys please consider our suggestions for reversal of the climbing weight limit, or allow us to tie our pack to the rope and hoist our pack up after us/down before us as myself and others suggested?

I'm not able to guarantee any particular change or feature will happen, but I will make sure they are aware of your comments and concerns. The team is keeping a close eye on player feedback and suggestions and are always thinking about what they can do to improve the feel of the game. :)

27 minutes ago, Mel Guille said:

I'm not able to guarantee any particular change or feature will happen, but I will make sure they are aware of your comments and concerns. The team is keeping a close eye on player feedback and suggestions and are always thinking about what they can do to improve the feel of the game. :)

Ok cool because I did a forum search on "climbing" and I found at least five separate threads complaining about this change in the last month. There could be more than that, as I didn't dig very far because I got distracted by the "Stupidest way you have died thread," lol. So it would seem this is something many people are frustrated with for numerous reasons, including it doesn't make much sense.

Thanks for replying though, @Mel Guille!

I appreciate you taking the time!

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone having trouble with "double ropes" like the ones near Draft Dodger Cabin in PV?  I've been trying this out some and I just don't see the point. I'm down to just 22kg, and between just walking out of the cabin and climbing up the first rope, I have not enough stamina left to risk the second rope.  Is this by design?  Am I supposed to sleep for several hours on the ledge in order to make it up. Why do that when I can walk the entire long way around and make it over to the same place in less total time?  Shouldn't the ropes offer some trade-off - faster if you're willing to travel light?

In general, so far, I just never see any benefit to using a rope unless it is the only way up. Even w/o the encumbrance limits mentioned in this thread, your stamina is just so totally wiped for the entire rest of the day after a single climb. The few times I thought - hey lets put a rope here to make a short cut, I've ended up not bothering. 

I'm going to get this out of the way i spend WAY too much time on the mountain.  I know it better then mystery lake for Ralph's sake. I can make it to the summit first climb in 3 ropes within 48 hours 36 if the weather stays  good.  time for a mini guide 

Hiking the long way going past the wing you can get to deer clearing with one rope. DO not take time to mess around in deer clearing, you're going to need every last drop of fatigue. When you ascend to secluded shelf stop at every ledge get a full stamina bar or you will die. when you make it to the top you're going to hit exhaustion but you make it to what i like to call the junction ledge (the ledge that has the rope to the summit and the rope down the mountain) time to make a judgement call to grab basic summit loot or go back to base  

Personally I never loot the summit on the first climb since on the subsequent climbs I can trim my  pack to next to nothing

anyway I find its best to have a separate set of clothing for climbing my set is about 10 lbs 4kg since you have the mercy of two caves on the way for the extra climbs warmth isn't a problem (the rest you need for fatigue is more then enough time to warm up) fill up your hunger to cut down on food(no more then 8 lbs no less then 1000 calories) and bring about three days of water max (.39 gallons or 147 liters)  don't bring a knife take a hatchet and no rifle and no more then 2 arrows if you take a bow take only one box of matches (bring torches pro tip light fire with torches not matches) and one to two torches and finally a basic bedroll this set up is about 30-40 lbs(gets lighter when you eat and drink (another tip eat before you drink you lose water when eating most foods) giving you about 20 odd lbs. if you feel like taking risks you can cut this down even more

This is about enough for one rifle all the ammo a few cleaning kits wet stones sewing kits fire starters ect

anyway wile i get the no climbing up restriction I can't help but see it as hand holding if some one is dumb enough to try to make the summit rope at 80 lbs I say let em fall

Ok when I said let em fall I got that song from the lorax remake stuck in my head and decided to parody it i know its not the best but i spent about 10 minutes on it

Standing at the crossroads, trying to read the signs

To tell me which way I should go to find the answer,

And all the time I know,

That mans gonna fall

Let them, let them fall

Let them slip right off the wall

In the sun, the rain, the snow,

Down he will go

Looking for a reason to check my weight

Trying hard to get rope that I can count on,

But there's nothing left to see,

Let them, let them fall

Down he will go

Time is getting shorter and there's much for you to do

Only take what you are needing,

The rest is up to you

Plant your feet and take the climb

Let them, let them fall

Down he will go

Let them, let them fall

Down he will go

• 3 months later...

I apologize thoroughly for the thread-necromancy, but I literally stopped playing TLD once I ran into this in Episode 1, and have just finally taken a look to see if it was fixed. Apparently, it wasn't. According to Steam, I've played TLD for 1,116 hours, and this is what ended it for me. I was so excited for Story mode after years of EA and this killed it. I don't even care about the story anymore (I didn't bother to finish it) - just give me Timberwolf Mountain back.

It wasn't the wolves, or the cold, or the hunger. It was the words "too encumbered to climb" that made me stop caring whether or not my character lived. We all fade into The Long Dark one way or another, I suppose.

So, good luck survivors. Maybe you'll find my frozen corpse out there someday, and hopefully It's got a knife or an MRE on it. And hopefully there's some way to get to it without a climbing rope.

12 hours ago, Vilespectre said:

It wasn't the wolves, or the cold, or the hunger. It was the words "too encumbered to climb" that made me stop caring whether or not my character lived. We all fade into The Long Dark one way or another, I suppose.

That's too bad @Vilespectre. There's a thread on the forums for why another long time player quit the game (wolf behaviour in their case). You may wish to post your comments there or start your own thread as well. Any feedback is helpful and, hopefully, it will inform the dev team about future changes and updates. 

Archived