Faithful Cartographer Feedback

Honor

Hello,

Being a long time Interloper player, I have a few things I would like to discuss about the new update. I know it is still very new, but there are a few things that I find a bit troublesome.

There is no "auto-loot" function. Before this update, looting wasn't too bad, but now having to hold a button to loot can be a little tedious. I don't know if anyone feels the same, let me know. The big pet peeve is cat-tail gathering. Having to hold LM (or A) to get the option to gather, then consider gathering both the head and the stalk individually is a bit redundant and time wasting, and, if I am to be honest, every millisecond in Interloper counts, a lot.

EDIT: While there is still no auto-loot and the separate cat-tail function exists there is a way to change the press-and-hold feature. Thanks to user @chuckie as he posted the way to change it to one-click function instead of press-and-hold. Simply go to options->controls->accessible interactions.

Although the visuals are very, very good, and the HUD is visually pleasing, the imprecise nature of condition and calories concerns me. I like detailed information, and losing that definitely does not help me make informed decisions on what to do next. Am I at 30%? Or is that 20%? I don't know, and, as such, I am not entirely sure of ensuing decisions. Being able to see exact calories in the status page helps a bit to alleviate the issue of not having it upon tab or start, but I feel it should be there.

EDIT: The TAB HUD could be condensed a bit more to avoid players having to dart their eyes around to see vital information, just a thought/suggestion.

There is a bug with old man's beard bandages. When applied in the new first aid as antiseptic, it consumes the bandage but does not stop blood loss. This is a problem, as the infection risk comes before blood loss. I do not know how one succeeds at the Hunted Part 1 challenge now.

EDIT: This is not a bug, but as revealed by user @nicko this is intended. A challenge like The Hunted is still impossible unless a bandage drops in the basement you escape to, though.

The game was already too easy. While I do think the campfire wolf-deterrent mechanic should stay as-is, I do not think we need stone throwing. The buildup previously needed on high difficulties was fine the way it was. Gut and food gathering, especially a renewable source, is now instantly available. I do not like this, as the game needed to get a bit more difficult in the late game (post bow/snare/wolfskin coat crafting), not easier in the early game.

EDIT: Applying first aid is also a hassle, as the two-layered system where you can see what is wrong in the "Status" page yet be able to do nothing about it until re-routing back to the first-aid in radial is a little tedious. One should be able to treat afflictions from *both* sections.

EDIT: As I, and other players have mentioned, the breath of the character is far too bright and covers an enormous portion of the screen, I wanted to make sure to note in the OP of the thread that this has been mentioned as well for the sake of not having to fish through the thread to see it.

EDIT: User @Raf109 pointed out that we do not have the day/night indicator stay on screen during sleeping/waiting.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Bugs are very important to report, as @Dirmagnos pointed one out about resources in the new mapping system, please report them here- https://hinterlandgames.atlassian.net/projects/TLDP/

On the bright side, I love the new visuals, I love the new inventory breakdown, and I like how I don't auto-equip that damn storm lantern every time I get it lol.

Please let me know what you think, thank you.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

from post:

* Accessible Interactions. We've added a new option in the Control settings, for players who suffer from Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and similar conditions. This makes all click/press+hold interactions a single click/press. 

* First Aid Treatment. You can now treat Afflictions by using First Aid items directly from the Radial. The game no longer pre-selects the correct Treatment for you. Also, Old Man's Beard Dressings no longer require Bandages to Craft but only treat Infection Risk (and not Blood Loss).

* Stone Throwing. You can now pick up and throw Stones in the world. Hitting a Rabbit with a Stone will stun it, providing an early-game option for hunting. Then you have to decide whether to kill or release it. Thrown Stones might even scare off a wolf, if you're very lucky.

Let it be the official feedback thread!

Love the game, thanks to devs!

Omitting the complete new features, my thoughts on changes:

1. No 'feels like temp' on tab screen is very bad, that's a crucial parameter for gameplay. You can see it in status screen, so that's no secret. Either hide that information completely and make game lot harder or pull it out.
  2. No duration and temp in fire screen. Adding fuel and don't know the result until exit and look directly on fire. The same as p. 1.
  3. A game graphics has become much demanding, FPS dropped. The whole picture tends to look more fancy but looses in its nice sketchy soulful style.
  4. A radial menu is hard to use since mouse doesn't point to the center while pressing space. You have to move the mouse from the random corner of the screen and point to the small center section. Will get to use hotkeys.
  5. New condition indicators... Don't looks better to me. Less informative, annoying placement.
  6. Press and hold. I admitted myself a CTS immediately. Finger got tired in 5 minutes of gameplay and I see no benefits of this innovation.
  7. Weight subtotals for each inventory category is awesome!

Could be worse. Imagine if the countdown had been for the new UI :D

At least they made the "hold LBM to do stuff" optional. You have to look for it because it is too hard for them to make it the default on PC and leave as is for PS4 which is obviously where this thing is aimed at.

7 hours ago, nicko said:

from post:

* Accessible Interactions. We've added a new option in the Control settings, for players who suffer from Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and similar conditions. This makes all click/press+hold interactions a single click/press. 

* First Aid Treatment. You can now treat Afflictions by using First Aid items directly from the Radial. The game no longer pre-selects the correct Treatment for you. Also, Old Man's Beard Dressings no longer require Bandages to Craft but only treat Infection Risk (and not Blood Loss).

* Stone Throwing. You can now pick up and throw Stones in the world. Hitting a Rabbit with a Stone will stun it, providing an early-game option for hunting. Then you have to decide whether to kill or release it. Thrown Stones might even scare off a wolf, if you're very lucky.

If I suffered from carpal tunnel, I would want a single click to get my cat-tails, not three, one of which I have to hold down.

Ah, so if the beard dressing only does one thing now, my question remains for that challenge. Also, it was one of the best first aid features they had, I do not like that change, to be honest.

I know the qualification on luck they added, I am aware, but making the early game any easier than it already is, is not warranted.

It is just my opinion that what needs to happen is the later parts of the game become more difficult, and I think people agree. Every one of my 100+ day interloper runs ends in a suicide because I get bored. But the early game is so exciting I keep coming back for more.

22 minutes ago, LonelySurvivor said:

Could be worse. Imagine if the countdown had been for the new UI :D

At least they made the "hold LBM to do stuff" optional. You have to look for it because it is too hard for them to make it the default on PC and leave as is for PS4 which is obviously where this thing is aimed at.

Please tell me where it is optional and I will add an addendum to the OP about that, so it is readily available to anyone that does not know.

51 minutes ago, chuckie said:

Let it be the official feedback thread!

Love the game, thanks to devs!

Omitting the complete new features, my thoughts on changes:

1. No 'feels like temp' on tab screen is very bad, that's a crucial parameter for gameplay. You can see it in status screen, so that's no secret. Either hide that information completely and make game lot harder or pull it out.
  2. No duration and temp in fire screen. Adding fuel and don't know the result until exit and look directly on fire. The same as p. 1.
  3. A game graphics has become much demanding, FPS dropped. The whole picture tends to look more fancy but looses in its nice sketchy soulful style.
  4. A radial menu is hard to use since mouse doesn't point to the center while pressing space. You have to move the mouse from the random corner of the screen and point to the small center section. Will get to use hotkeys.
  5. New condition indicators... Don't looks better to me. Less informative, annoying placement.
  6. Press and hold. I admitted myself a CTS immediately. Finger got tired in 5 minutes of gameplay and I see no benefits of this innovation.
  7. Weight subtotals for each inventory category is awesome!

I actually like the radial menu, it works for me, at least.

What is concerning that you note and I even failed to look for is the feels like temp! Also, I do prefer the side of screen placement to statuses over the bottom of the screen.

Thanks for sharing.

Well, I played more and I can say, new features are very cool but the UI is ruined. Don`t know why to spoil good looking and functional things.

The same problem is in the basis - connected things are separated, useful information is hidden.

1. You see afflictions on status screen but can not cure them there. You have to remember the cure than go to the radial menu, select the cure, than select the proper affliction. That's ridiculous.
  2. Changing clothes but can not see the result in feels like temp right away - another screen.
  3. Adding fuel or preparing food - cannot see the temp and remaining time.
  4. Going outside and cannot see the temp - need to open status screen.
  5. I'm not talking about the visual design - several good reports are submitted to official bugtracker.

I'm looking forward for a hotfix, seriously. New features with old UI and more complicated bunny stone hunting would be orgasmic.

34 minutes ago, chuckie said:

Well, I played more and I can say, new features are very cool but the UI is ruined. Don`t know why to spoil good looking and functional things.

The same problem is in the basis - connected things are separated, useful information is hidden.

1. You see afflictions on status screen but can not cure them there. You have to remember the cure than go to the radial menu, select the cure, than select the proper affliction. That's ridiculous.
  2. Changing clothes but can not see the result in feels like temp right away - another screen.
  3. Adding fuel or preparing food - cannot see the temp and remaining time.
  4. Going outside and cannot see the temp - need to open status screen.
  5. I'm not talking about the visual design - several good reports are submitted to official bugtracker.

I'm looking forward for a hotfix, seriously. New features with old UI and more complicated bunny stone hunting would be orgasmic.

We also have a lot of trouble figuring out how many hours are left in the day.

Concerning performance. I have GeForce GT 650M and Linux. I updated nVidia drivers to latest version and things get much more stable. Previously a movement indoors was a slideshow. Interesting that FPS spread is narrow - 24 fps on low quality and 17 on ultra )

Just now, Honor said:

Well, at least the indicator is on top and its possible with some practice to estimate time with 30 min precision i guess. Is it visible during blizzard? If yes, that would be even an advantage.

59 minutes ago, Honor said:

Well to be honest I can understand this from a game design perspective to make it more challenging. 

Hiding "feels like" behind another menu however makes no sense, it makes nothing more immersive or more challenging it just make it more annoying. Changes to first aid terrible as well.

Placement of icons all over the HUD? Not even sure how someone working in a UI could come up with that. Looks designed by some obscure Solaris sys admin recycling his skills.

2 minutes ago, Honor said:

I have also noticed the breath plume your character emits is much larger than it used to be, it is pretty distracting. I might be mistaken but it looks like he's smoking a cigar.

Yes, and its so bright even in full dark.

8 hours ago, chuckie said:

1. No duration and temp in fire screen. Adding fuel and don't know the result until exit and look directly on fire. The same as p. 1.
  2. A game graphics has become much demanding, FPS dropped. The whole picture tends to look more fancy but looses in its nice sketchy soulful style.

The fire screen does indicate temp and duration, in the top left when accessing the fire. It also displays both when looking at it.

I did like the soulful sketchy look of TLD too, but I think there may be more changes the day it fully comes out, let's hope they stay true to the painterly artist style of the looks.

EDIT: I definitely see the FPS drops too, very significant on xbox as well.

3 minutes ago, Honor said:

The fire screen does indicate temp and duration, in the top left when accessing the fire. It also displays both when looking at it.

Could you provide a screenshot? Do you see remaining time while cooking?

I rather like that there's no specific calorie count and condition etc. It adds uncertainty and a little more danger. Hinterlands are taking some of the training wheels off.

I love the time of Day indicator...of course having played it to death in Test Track helps...but it's not hard at all to figure things out.

I also love how loot has varied significantly in each of my sandboxes since the update and wolves...oh wolves...doing more damage than ever before...they are a threat again.

3 hours ago, RossBondReturns said:

I rather like that there's no specific calorie count and condition etc. It adds uncertainty and a little more danger. Hinterlands are taking some of the training wheels off.

I love the time of Day indicator...of course having played it to death in Test Track helps...but it's not hard at all to figure things out.

I also love how loot has varied significantly in each of my sandboxes since the update and wolves...oh wolves...doing more damage than ever before...they are a threat again.

The wolves were already a threat on higher difficulties, no buffs needed.

I can see wanting to keep the time of day indicator, it is more realistic, but there is no logic in claiming that keeping calories/condition hidden is another element of danger etc. It is readily available, just making it an extra click for no reason is, admittedly, slightly tedious.

The loot has always been very varied and the wolves always dangerous, but then again I only play on interloper so I suppose it's all the same still.

I am glad that people aren't forced into interloper for the experience of more varied loot and more dangerous wolves though. It is definitely a change in the right direction there.

12 minutes ago, RossBondReturns said:

Well I've never paid attention to calorie counts...and condition is easily find-able even simply hovering the pointer food in the radial reveals it's condition is revealed readily...so nothing once again is lost at all.

I was referring to the character's condition. The precise nature of condition is only accessible in the status screen.

Having to access a separate screen rather than simply tap TAB and see it is even more immersion breaking than simply having it on demand in my opinion, and unnecessary.

It was not broken before, and did not need fixing is what I believe and what I think most players would agree on.

Archived