Faithful Cartographer Feedback

Honor

5 minutes ago, Honor said:

Having to access a separate screen rather than simply tap TAB and see it is even more immersion breaking than simply having it on demand in my opinion, and unnecessary.

It was not broken before, and did not need fixing is what I believe and what I think most players would agree on.

Certainly this particular player agrees with you.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Certainly this particular player agrees with you.

Thank you. I also find it highly concerning that I cannot choose how to open my cans in terms of which tool I can use, and I also have little choice in how my personal UI looks after all this time.

I know some PC players hate radial but I love it! I also liked the Resolute Outfitter TAB display. Why can we not have options to have the diaply we want? Many other games have options like that.

1 hour ago, Honor said:

I was referring to the character's condition. The precise nature of condition is only accessible in the status screen.

Having to access a separate screen rather than simply tap TAB and see it is even more immersion breaking than simply having it on demand in my opinion, and unnecessary.

It was not broken before, and did not need fixing is what I believe and what I think most players would agree on.

I don't really get this complaint.

When you have a serious condition it literally let's you know with a heads up.

When you're in the danger zone or beyond the appropriate gauges show up in red.

Warnings for Hypothermia and Sprains and such are very clear.

So how someone could miss a change in condition is beyond me. About the only time I check condition is after a wolf attack to double check I saw all the medical needs correctly to apply medicine.

1 hour ago, RossBondReturns said:

I don't really get this complaint.

When you have a serious condition it literally let's you know with a heads up.

Except that if one of the most critical situations of all happens, that of your overall condition being dangerously low, you get NO HEADS UP AT ALL! The first you will know about it is when your vision starts blurring, as you drop below 10% condition.

5 hours ago, Honor said:

I was referring to the character's condition. The precise nature of condition is only accessible in the status screen.

Not to argue, but I think that was kind of the point. To remain 'immersed', one would make do with the approximations. They are there is you are willing to take the time out, but they are trying to guide the player into not having such accuracy, something I think is actually more the way it would be. At least that information is still available.

I was with you for some time; I got used to the information being there and used the specificity to make decisions but I am finding that the more I play  - and have been playing the test branch for some time (a 105 day run) - I must admit that I'm not only used to the approximations, I actually appreciate them. Play long enough and they begin to make more sense and become quite 'readable' in much the same way the previous system was. So, I was initially recalcitrant but am now in a better position to make a more objective assessment and again, I have to say that I like the changes.

Not trying to change your mind pr again argue, but maybe give it some more time?

My quick thoughts, after one evening of playing: 

1. I'm guessing it's from more varied loot, but it took me 6 days to find any additional clothes in my stalker game. If this is due to greater variance of where and how much loot there is, then I like it! Makes each game feel more different. 

2. I agree with everyone else, the breath plumes are just too opaque. 

3. Human bodies look way better! 

4. I like the interior changes. Carter dam looks way more interesting on the inside, and is now possible to at least sort of stumble your way around the front room without a lantern. 

5. Wow! Big changes to Mystery Lake! A big surprise, for ling time players. Good stuff! 

6. I haven't encountered the climbing issue yet, but I entirely agree that you should be able to climb up or down ropes while encumbered. I liked how it just used to be dangerous, rather than not allowed. 

7. So far, I like the addition of throwing. 

8. Interface changes always take some getting used to, and draw some ire from their community. But I think the more vague indicators will probably benefit the game, in the long run. However, I really miss seeing the "feels like" indicator in the tab pop-ups. Having to stop and look into your status to find out is really annoying. 

9. Mapping is awesome! The fact that it's a strategic trade off, especially early game, when it can help you the most, is great! 

10. Varying indoor temperatures is a nice new challenge, at least for early game. Having to actually deal with heat sources, and keeping your eye on temperature while staying inside adds a little spice. 

11 hours ago, Carbon said:

Not to argue, but I think that was kind of the point. To remain 'immersed', one would make do with the approximations. They are there is you are willing to take the time out, but they are trying to guide the player into not having such accuracy, something I think is actually more the way it would be. At least that information is still available.

I was with you for some time; I got used to the information being there and used the specificity to make decisions but I am finding that the more I play  - and have been playing the test branch for some time (a 105 day run) - I must admit that I'm not only used to the approximations, I actually appreciate them. Play long enough and they begin to make more sense and become quite 'readable' in much the same way the previous system was. So, I was initially recalcitrant but am now in a better position to make a more objective assessment and again, I have to say that I like the changes.

Not trying to change your mind pr again argue, but maybe give it some more time?

Once again, what I was saying is if the information is available somewhere I am going to look for it. And if I have to go through layers to get it that is even more immersion breaking than having it readily available.

If they wish to go with this "less precise info=more realistic immersion" I wish they would make up their minds and either go full-bore, or not at all. It seems indecisive.

I can see what you mean, which is why I agreed with @RossBondReturns about they day timer, it makes sense. Hell, I need a watch *right now* to tell time in the summer, i can't expect this guy to know down to the half hour what time it is in the middle of the Northern Canadian wilderness.

That being said, they went 100% with that decision. And if you're going to want to hide the exact % of my condition from me, I would like it to just happen all the way, if that makes sense.

7 hours ago, cullam said:

My quick thoughts, after one evening of playing: 

1. I'm guessing it's from more varied loot, but it took me 6 days to find any additional clothes in my stalker game. If this is due to greater variance of where and how much loot there is, then I like it! Makes each game feel more different. 

2. I agree with everyone else, the breath plumes are just too opaque. 

3. Human bodies look way better! 

4. I like the interior changes. Carter dam looks way more interesting on the inside, and is now possible to at least sort of stumble your way around the front room without a lantern. 

5. Wow! Big changes to Mystery Lake! A big surprise, for ling time players. Good stuff! 

6. I haven't encountered the climbing issue yet, but I entirely agree that you should be able to climb up or down ropes while encumbered. I liked how it just used to be dangerous, rather than not allowed. 

7. So far, I like the addition of throwing. 

8. Interface changes always take some getting used to, and draw some ire from their community. But I think the more vague indicators will probably benefit the game, in the long run. However, I really miss seeing the "feels like" indicator in the tab pop-ups. Having to stop and look into your status to find out is really annoying. 

9. Mapping is awesome! The fact that it's a strategic trade off, especially early game, when it can help you the most, is great! 

10. Varying indoor temperatures is a nice new challenge, at least for early game. Having to actually deal with heat sources, and keeping your eye on temperature while staying inside adds a little spice. 

I kind of miss the look of the bodies before, it was almost nostalgic in a way, though I do admit the detail now is very good looking.

I actually think the indoor temp changes are the best thing they have done in a while. The game was way too easy because indoor static temps were so damn high. There's more motive to get firewood now!

5 hours ago, Honor said:

Once again, what I was saying is if the information is available somewhere I am going to look for it. And if I have to go through layers to get it that is even more immersion breaking than having it readily available.

Right, and my point was that HL don't seem to want such specificity, but they do provide it, but it will break immersion. When they want you to have is immersive and readily apparent thus, a trade-off between what they think is sufficient being more integrated against what you want, which is somewhat buried. Like a backhanded compliment, in a sense. :)

A few notes so far.

Not sure if its a bug or something, but i cant repair combat boots. Half way thru it says that i dont have required materials(even if have several pieces of cured leather) and fails. But it do waste cured leather.

Also possible bug. Placed snare, collected snare and it broke. Without catching anything. Havent retested it, as they are now obsolete with rocks. There is simply no point in crafting them. Stunning rabbits with rocks and then finishing them off is far faster and takes less effort. And as long-term hater of Bugs Bunny i feel no remorse breaking their necks.

Rocks. Trapping rabbits were easy, but not that profitable as it took time to check snares, with no guaranteed catch. Now is completely effortless enterprise. They are fairly easy to hit with just a bit of practice and now i generally get couple every day, even without hunting for them. Just by passing by thru areas they spawn and that is pretty much everywhere.

Whole medical part of game went from fairly good to extremely poor. Before i saw condition and could apply meds instantly, without needing to do any additional clicking. Now i have to make 22 clicks to do same thing that took 2 clicks prior to update. And now i also need to remember did i took my meds or not all the time. Why those features were removed from status screen ?

Why intestinal parasites prevent ability to do research ?

Why i have to select weapon every time im engaging in melee ? Its completely unnecessary and annoying as hell. As if need to mash the key like crazy was not bad enough, now there is universally hated QTE involved.

Drawing map is nice, but location should matter as well. When im on top of a hill, then i should see further and be able to map larger area.

When redrawing map it would be nice if icons for harvested items would disappear from it. I can understand mapping them when im mapping area for first time and stuff like shrooms or beard locations are present, but why they are not gone after i collected them and updated map ? Also would be nice if animal corpses be drawn, when present, but its a long shot.

Skinning is still extremely easy to raise and Field Dressing manuals are pretty much obsolete - by the time i have time to read those books i usually have maxed this skill. They take a lot of time research, there are usually more important books to read first and skill increases like crazy as is, especially now, with quartering and rabbit bonanza.

31 minutes ago, Dirmagnos said:

When redrawing map it would be nice if icons for harvested items would disappear from it. I can understand mapping them when im mapping area for first time and stuff like shrooms or beard locations are present, but why they are not gone after i collected them and updated map ?

Apparently, they are supposed to be updated when the map for that area is re-done. So I'd call this a bug.

13 hours ago, Dirmagnos said:

Skinning is still extremely easy to raise and Field Dressing manuals are pretty much obsolete - by the time i have time to read those books i usually have maxed this skill. They take a lot of time research, there are usually more important books to read first and skill increases like crazy as is, especially now, with quartering and rabbit bonanza.

I've read a book or 2 during blizzards and I think the field dressing books did have value before this "bunny bonanza" as harvesting more quickly and in greater amounts (in meat) was an incredibly useful skill.

But with the introduction of bunnies that apparently have ankle weights on or glue on their feet, you're right that it is too easy. I simply don't do it because I don't want to abuse something ridiculous.

Before this update I would be surprised if I even got within 3 meters of a bunny, now, if the game allowed I could have choked out several with how close I have gotten to them. They have slowed down so much it's absurd. How in the world would these things avoid any predators and not go extinct? Lol

3 hours ago, Raf109 said:

I would appreciate if the timer for day and night would stay at the screen when we sleep or pass time.

That's a brilliant idea, I never even thought of that.

Come to think of it, that is exactly what we had before when sleeping, cooking, reading/crafting etc. Now it does not exist with sleeping/waiting, good job catching that.

On 6/10/2017 at 10:16 PM, Dirmagnos said:

Why i have to select weapon every time im engaging in melee ? Its completely unnecessary and annoying as hell. As if need to mash the key like crazy was not bad enough, now there is universally hated QTE involved.

The only thing I find annoying about it is there's no definitive description on what each weapon offers. If I knew which one was the most defensive then I would pick it permanently, as avoiding condition loss is more important than going for the kill.

1 hour ago, Honor said:

The only thing I find annoying about it is there's no definitive description on what each weapon offers. If I knew which one was the most defensive then I would pick it permanently, as avoiding condition loss is more important than going for the kill.

That as well. Maybe not initially ,but after weapon is used against animal a few times, some hints could be added and continue to be added more wolves player fight off with this particular item.

Hell ,even increase item efficiency against wolves, as player get better at it, knowing exactly how to hold item or how to hit, for it to be most efficient.

Or take it one step further. All weapons could have, for example, four stats: force, that deals with damage output; defense, that mitigates certain portion of damage; resistance, that reduces chance of negative conditions like bleeding or infection risk; and handling, that acts as modifier to remaining stats(in terms of force it determines how often player hits wolf, eg high force with low handling will result in high damage but long pauses between damage dealing; similarly could work with defense, so high defense but low handling would result in high initial damage mitigation, but considerably lower mitigation if battle takes longer; and with resistance it would range from high chance to completely mitigate just one condition or average chance to mitigate all).

To make things interesting, at the beginning of each new game, all items will have their combat stats randomized, withing certain point pool and limits.

I have been noticing the increase in wolves, even on interloper.

For example, why the hell are there wolves on Misanthrope Island in CH? There were never any before, they seem to ignore flares and other throwable flame objects (please bring back brandishing asap) and they now travel in packs.

As far as loper is concerned. once you encounter more than one wolf, you basically die 100% of the time. I would like HL to explain the logic behind putting wolves in confirmed bear turf (he was literally less than 50 yards from the wolf).

Also, I have never died to this before, but I recently died from the cold in my sleep after sleeping at full warmth. This is 100% unrealistic as the violent shivering would have woken me up. The unrealistic 5:1 predator to prey animal ratio and dying from the cold but not waking up (what?) is an enormous step backward.

TLD is becoming a zombie apocalypse survival, with the wolves being numbered like zombies, and less of a survival game based on weather and scarcity of resources. A big change in the wrong direction.

14 minutes ago, Honor said:

I have been noticing the increase in wolves, even on interloper.

For example, why the hell are there wolves on Misanthrope Island in CH? There were never any before, they seem to ignore flares and other throwable flame objects (please bring back brandishing asap) and they now travel in packs.

I have stayed in the house inside Jackrabbit Island for most of my runs, and I've never noticed a wolf on Misanthrope Island until recently when I decided to play with the Stalker difficulty.

19 minutes ago, Raf109 said:

I have stayed in the house inside Jackrabbit Island for most of my runs, and I've never noticed a wolf on Misanthrope Island until recently when I decided to play with the Stalker difficulty.

On interloper and stalker they seem to spawn on the island now, I don't know about Jackrabbit though.

It's just sort of a lazy way to increase difficulty.

Just now, Honor said:

On interloper and stalker they seem to spawn on the island now, I don't know about Jackrabbit though.

It's just sort of a lazy way to increase difficulty.

Jackrabbit is fine, wolves spawn around the island normally, but with one extra wolf now.

Please change the thirst/temperature/hunger displays at the bottom of the screen back to the way they were at the top left! I miss being able to see exactly how much water or food I need, as well as what the temperature feels like. I understand the change was made to better fit the visuals of the game, but this just makes it so much more annoying and not as fun to play. That said, I really enjoy the new visuals, but this is a major problem and I think most players would agree.

On 6/10/2017 at 10:48 PM, JAFO said:

Apparently, they are supposed to be updated when the map for that area is re-done. So I'd call this a bug.

I figured the icon on the map represents a spot where that items spawns. If you've collected it and it's not there any more, it will eventually spawn in that spot again. I think of the icons more as spawn points, rather than the item itself.

Archived