What one can do with unlimited lanterns

baekdal

After having thoroughly enjoyed playing The Long Dark, I discovered that the lighting effect from lanterns is actually quite good. And that got me thinking, what kind of screenshots could one take if I had more than just the 2-3 lanterns in the game?

So, yes, I cheated to create this effect, but damn the Long Dark looks even more beautiful when in the light.

dark01.jpg

dark55.jpg

dark04.jpg

dark54.jpg

You can find 58 more pictures over at my personal site: http://thomasbaekdal.com/fun/the-long-dark-beautiful-at-night

Thanks, Brainstudio!

BTW: Here is a high-res version for you: https://cdn.baekdal.com/_img/2014/dark55h.png

now my desktop is perfet! And your screenshot gives me the idea to propose generator and electricity

Please read my post on alpha wish list and tell me if it is good.

Stay in contact if you create some new stuff or ecc, ill be glad to follow your works

I too have been thinking about generators and electricity, but it conflicts with the story of the geomagnetic storm. The concept of that being that it disrupts electric power distribution (hence, 'the long dark'). I'm not sure though how that translates into trains derailing on an almost straight line of tract in the middle of nowhere, but hey... ;)

I too have been thinking about generators and electricity, but it conflicts with the story of the geomagnetic storm. The concept of that being that it disrupts electric power distribution (hence, 'the long dark'). I'm not sure though how that translates into trains derailing on an almost straight line of tract in the middle of nowhere, but hey... ;)

I thought about but generator are diesel..i think they can give electricity to a small house

Love the screens. As for the storm (and EMPs), from what I know it sends powerful electric wave - so powerful it literally melt the electronics. So any generator could have melted insides rendering it useless. However, one can protect electronics like generators, flashlights, etc by having it inside a Faraday Cage in time of the event. So it would be very possible that a someone preparing for an apocalypse by making an underground shelter could store supplies like fuel (kerosene?) generator, flashlights, walkie-talkies. About the screens: have you thought about gathering a lot of wood (with cheats or without) and making similar screens with the use of campfires instead. The campfire gives more light which is orange/red instead of lantern's yellow one. Could make some interesting views.

INFO:

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geomagnetic_storm

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

Pawel, that is a great idea (about the campfires). I will try that when I get a moment to play (probably not this week though) :)

As for using a faraday cage. As I understand the concept of the game, the concept is that the geo-magnetic storm is so strong that no electric devices would work, and that it's on-going. Hence "The LONG dark". So even if people had kept electrical equipment in safe places, they would stop worked the second they were taken outside.

That said, I would love for the developers to ad modding support for this game (and even larger and more open maps). There is so much potential for other survival stories that doesn't have anything to do with geo-magnetic storms. To take it to the extreme. We could recreate 'The Martian' (one of the best books ever made about an Astronaut stranded on Mars trying to survive) based on this game mechanic.

Pawel, that is a great idea (about the campfires). I will try that when I get a moment to play (probably not this week though) :)

As for using a faraday cage. As I understand the concept of the game, the concept is that the geo-magnetic storm is so strong that no electric devices would work, and that it's on-going. Hence "The LONG dark". So even if people had kept electrical equipment in safe places, they would stop worked the second they were taken outside.

That said, I would love for the developers to ad modding support for this game (and even larger and more open maps). There is so much potential for other survival stories that doesn't have anything to do with geo-magnetic storms. To take it to the extreme. We could recreate 'The Martian' (one of the best books ever made about an Astronaut stranded on Mars trying to survive) based on this game mechanic.

Whati tought infact was a RARE amount of time that you can use it, less then fire for example

as i told in my alpha wishlist post i imagine more situation in front of a generator

It will be interesting if some places can have electricity.

The main houses like hunter, carteer, main camp and expecially bunker

Will have a generator outside and you can have a lot of possibility:

1) it can work well with some % of fuel

2) It can have some % of fuel but need to be repaired

3) Work but not fuel or any case need other fuel (the same of lamp)

4) It stop working because freezing or damaged during use

Infact in the bunker to have light the door rest opened that's wrong

if you have to use a lantern and maybe adjust a generator it will be a satisfaction

Just an hidea because i imagine for a few minutes the carteer with light than one to one switch on and rest for few minutes as a bunker ecc

Any case HAVE TO BE A QUIK HELP not longer than 2-3 hours

If anyone would like to play around with lanterns as well, here's a savegame that has around 600 Stormlight lanterns on it. 20-50 near every major location. Also there's plenty of stuff to create a fire in front of the Camp Office. Enjoy. :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q9tv8oa2w1mmo3k/LakeRegion?dl=0

Simply place this file in your savegame folder, C:\Users\YOURUSERNAMEHERE\AppData\LocalLow\Hinterland\The Long Dark\alpha_slot0002

A warning though: If you do replace the file that is in there, the game will tell you that the savegame has been tempered with and your score will not be sent to the leaderboards. So don't do this on your 50+ day run. :D

Archived