More guns for smaller prey

NStats

So, snaring is a good way to get rabbits in the game, but I think hunting them is more fun. The bow is cool but I find it difficult to use and because I need a forge to make arrowheads I think there should be another to hunt them. The .303 is way overkill so I propose a new gun. Either a .22 lr, .410 bore, or pellet rifle would work well. I think the .22 or 410 would be best as the pellet seems a little weak. Either gun could be used (again not the pellet though) for more game besides rabbits. The .410 would work for the crows/ravens and the .22 while not super great might have some luck on a deer or wolf. A .22 mag or hornet would work better probably for that. If the shotgun was a 12 gauge you could add slugs or buckshot for big game. Anyway, .22 bullets are often sold in bulk meaning they would work even better for rabbits as ammo would be easier to find allowing multiple shots for misses or several kills.

15 hours ago, NStats said:

So, snaring is a good way to get rabbits in the game, but I think hunting them is more fun. The bow is cool but I find it difficult to use and because I need a forge to make arrowheads I think there should be another to hunt them. The .303 is way overkill so I propose a new gun. Either a .22 lr, .410 bore, or pellet rifle would work well. I think the .22 or 410 would be best as the pellet seems a little weak. Either gun could be used (again not the pellet though) for more game besides rabbits. The .410 would work for the crows/ravens and the .22 while not super great might have some luck on a deer or wolf. A .22 mag or hornet would work better probably for that. If the shotgun was a 12 gauge you could add slugs or buckshot for big game. Anyway, .22 bullets are often sold in bulk meaning they would work even better for rabbits as ammo would be easier to find allowing multiple shots for misses or several kills.

You do not have to forge arrowheads. There are plenty to be found throughout the game.

12 minutes ago, continuity said:

the bigger problem is the limited number of arrow shafts.

At various times, I have had 100 bullets and easily 100 shafts. Mind you to get this number all at once you have to live off rabbits, fish and found food items. You also will have had to explore all the maps.

1 hour ago, Lovehandel said:

At various times, I have had 100 bullets and easily 100 shafts. Mind you to get this number all at once you have to live off rabbits, fish and found food items. You also will have had to explore all the maps.

True.  But if you're hunting rabbits with arrows, you're going to burn through that 100 shafts quicker than you might think.  Not a viable use when you could be using them for deer.  If they weren't a limited resource however, say if they (saplings) regenerated after 6-12 months in game, then *wasting* arrows on rabbits wouldn't be so heinous. 

It isn't another gun, but I think the upcoming "rock" mechanic will fill the exact role we might imagine a .22 playing.  It lets you hunt rabbits, and a lucky shot won't kill a wolf but might sting its hide and drive it off.  I feel like this might be a good compromise - it gives you something in the ballpark of the small-bore "effect", while keeping the rifle unique and important.

1 hour ago, continuity said:

But if you're hunting rabbits with arrows, you're going to burn through that 100 shafts quicker than you might think.

If you're silly enough to use arrows on rabbits, you deserve to burn through shafts. That's what snares (and soon, rocks) are for.

19 hours ago, JAFO said:

If you're silly enough to use arrows on rabbits, you deserve to burn through shafts. That's what snares (and soon, rocks) are for.

I wasn't saying you should. I was arguing an abstract point, OP said he wanted a new gun because he had to forge arrow heads to make arrows, I was pointing out that shafts are the actual limiting factor.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the idea of a varmint rifle in .22— there are even a few purpose built survival rifles out there:

Henry-AR7-US-Survival-Rifle-300x168.jpg

Also, as an alternate to the Lee-Enfield, maybe a lever-action rifle in 30-30... another classic hunting caliber— not as powerful as .303 but still practical.

I quite like just having the rifle, I feel like it fits the Canadian theme to have just the old British rifle.  The emphasis of the game is on survival anyway rather than gunplay.

I will say though, if they were to introduce a new gun, I wouldn't want them to increase the total amount of ammo in the game.  So you would end up having way less ammo for each gun.

Archived