Plz add more arrows I know it game

Darktechforce

I live next to Canada and since you're making a survival game there should be more than one type of Arrow you did a great job with the metal arrows but they're not practical in a survival situation wooden arrows or more easier to make and then you have stone arrows which Native Americans have been using since forever which can take down a deer and a bear I love the game but I could use wood and stone arrows

56 minutes ago, Darktechforce said:

I live next to Canada and since you're making a survival game there should be more than one type of Arrow you did a great job with the metal arrows but they're not practical in a survival situation wooden arrows or more easier to make and then you have stone arrows which Native Americans have been using since forever which can take down a deer and a bear I love the game but I could use wood and stone arrows

That's a good idea. I think it would be a very nice addition.

By the way, welcome to the forums, @Darktechforce!

2 hours ago, Darktechforce said:

Welcome to the forums! With all the tools and weapons in the game, we're looking to make sure each fulfills a specific role.How would you differentiate a new arrow type from the current version? Are you thinking specifically in how they are crafted?

1 hour ago, Patrick Carlson said:

Welcome to the forums! With all the tools and weapons in the game, we're looking to make sure each fulfills a specific role.How would you differentiate a new arrow type from the current version? Are you thinking specifically in how they are crafted?

"Crude Arrows" would be less accurate and wear out faster. So it's speed and ease of making it vs long term usability and accuracy. 

And I wouldn't bother with stone arrows. I'd just make fire hardened arrows ;) 

I think it would give a chance for them to put a stone pump pedal-powered kind of grinder in that would take at least three days to make which you could sharpen your arrowheads on and I was meaning thinking for the wood arrows as a form of protection you know you can try to fight and yes they're not going to be very accurate but you know it's a fill self defense against wolves and if they ever put coyotes would be good for picking them off as well and with the stone arrows I mean yes you'd have to put durability on and stuff you would definitely be able to take out deer Native Americans have used Stone arrows for years to take out deer Bears elk yeah that's why I think they should put it in stone arrows because realistically most people don't have blacksmith smarts to even know how to make metal arrows I mean come on

2 hours ago, cekivi said:

"Crude Arrows" would be less accurate and wear out faster. So it's speed and ease of making it vs long term usability and accuracy. 

Yes good a good idea to because mainly metal arrows or more advanced survivors as in normal people's situation who don't know how to survive your first logical thing would be wood arrows I mean to think about it

1 hour ago, Darktechforce said:

I think it would give a chance for them to put a stone pump pedal-powered kind of grinder in that would take at least three days to make which you could sharpen your arrowheads on and I was meaning thinking for the wood arrows as a form of protection you know you can try to fight and yes they're not going to be very accurate but you know it's a fill self defense against wolves and if they ever put coyotes would be good for picking them off as well and with the stone arrows I mean yes you'd have to put durability on and stuff you would definitely be able to take out deer Native Americans have used Stone arrows for years to take out deer Bears elk yeah that's why I think they should put it in stone arrows because realistically most people don't have blacksmith smarts to even know how to make metal arrows I mean come on

:o

I think you just set a new world record for the longest sentence without a full stop (that's a period, for you Americans), or, for that matter, any other punctuation in it.

Punctuation, mate.. it makes stuff readable. ;)

Arrowheads are scarce on purpose. You can typically collect 5 arrows from the broken ones you find as you move about the maps. I won't do a spoiler to tell you where they are found. You will probably need to locate one of the two forges in the game to get a large supply of arrowheads. Store them only in containers; never on the floor or ground!

I have already found the forge and made arrowheads

3 hours ago, SteveP said:

Arrowheads are scarce on purpose. You can typically collect 5 arrows from the broken ones you find as you move about the maps. I won't do a spoiler to tell you where they are found. You will probably need to locate one of the two forges in the game to get a large supply of arrowheads. Store them only in containers; never on the floor or ground!

It's a bit of a frustration how often you lose the scarce arrowheads in the game.  Especially at lower skill levels I'm always firing at an advancing wolf; and, successful or not, odds are the arrow clips through the wolf and winds up somewhere in the snow or gets stuck in him and doesn't seem to be on the body later if he scampers away.

I understand why they're so rare --- it makes sense from a story standpoint.  And I understand from a realism perspective --- firing arrows into the snow or in a panic is a good way to lose them!  Still, they're the main line of defence from wolves, and you can only make a mistake or two before you're down to flares.  (And we're already pushing the limits as to how many flares someone would expect to find in rural British Columbia.)

Seems to me the most story-compliant solution would be to permit us to make fire-hardened arrows.  Just carve them up and stick them in the fire.  They'd be basically useless against wolves but should dispatch a bunny just fine. 

Reloading and switching ammo sounds like a pain, but if you think about it, you'd always just equip the metal arrowheads just in case.  Then, if you're specifically out to hunt rabbits, you'd equip your pointy sticks.  (They could also shatter much more easily.) 

It's also a good way to be able to work on archery skill without always risking such a rare commodity.  As it stands, I'm left wondering how I'm supposed to get better at shooting this thing while also trying never to shoot it.

38 minutes ago, Uriel said:

Seems to me the most story-compliant solution would be to permit us to make fire-hardened arrows.

Well, you can always gather up a bunch of scrap metal and coal, get to one of the forges, and craft some more arrow heads... ;)

38 minutes ago, Uriel said:

As it stands, I'm left wondering how I'm supposed to get better at shooting this thing while also trying never to shoot it.

Hehe.. it's a bit of a dilemma all right. Possibly this is why crafting arrows also increases your bow skills.

Fortunately, there are a couple of ways to improve without depleting your stock of arrows.

The first is to start a fresh game purely for learning how to improve your ability to hit things with the bow. Start a game in Pleasant Valley, craft a bow (or start in ML, get the bow from the Unnamed Pond Hunter's Blind, then go to PV), and make your way to the Barn. Around the back is an archery target where you'll find a few arrows. Collect them all. Next, save the game, by going indoors. Head back out to the target, and blast away at it until your arrows are all trashed. Practice shooting from different distances, while you're at it.

When your arrows are all gone, exit the game, without saving. Reload the game, and you'll be back indoors, with your bow and arrows in good condition again. Head out to the target for more practice. Rinse and repeat as many times as necessary. Maybe even keep the gamesave around for the occasional refresher-course.

The second is to watch and learn from the master himself, TLD bow-hunter par-excellence @GELtaz. He's made an entire series of videos (49 so far!) to help players with all aspects of TLD, but I highly recommend the following 5 videos in particular.

On 6/11/2017 at 11:14 PM, JAFO said:

Well, you can always gather up a bunch of scrap metal and coal, get to one of the forges, and craft some more arrow heads... ;)

Hehe.. it's a bit of a dilemma all right. Possibly this is why crafting arrows also increases your bow skills.

Fortunately, there are a couple of ways to improve without depleting your stock of arrows.

The first is to start a fresh game purely for learning how to improve your ability to hit things with the bow. Start a game in Pleasant Valley, craft a bow (or start in ML, get the bow from the Unnamed Pond Hunter's Blind, then go to PV), and make your way to the Barn. Around the back is an archery target where you'll find a few arrows. Collect them all. Next, save the game, by going indoors. Head back out to the target, and blast away at it until your arrows are all trashed. Practice shooting from different distances, while you're at it.

When your arrows are all gone, exit the game, without saving. Reload the game, and you'll be back indoors, with your bow and arrows in good condition again. Head out to the target for more practice. Rinse and repeat as many times as necessary. Maybe even keep the gamesave around for the occasional refresher-course.

The second is to watch and learn from the master himself, TLD bow-hunter par-excellence @GELtaz. He's made an entire series of videos (49 so far!) to help players with all aspects of TLD, but I highly recommend the following 5 videos in particular.

This is probably the most helpful reply I've had on the internet in five years.

I for one would love to see a 'simple/crude arrow' option available. Perhaps carved from a non-finite renewable resource such as cedar or fir. Not requiring an arrowhead, and possibly not even the feathers.

The difference being? Range, accuracy, and most importantly - it is NOT retrievable after firing, or perhaps only salvagable as a stick. This would give a longer term option for ammunition, but would make it rather time consuming and callorie draining - collecting the cedar/fir and creating the arrows for a single use each.

On 6/5/2017 at 11:35 PM, cekivi said:

Would anyone ever make crude arrows though? assuming you're using up the same limited sapling resource.

Archived