Before the Darkness Fell ( Fanart gallery)

Hello Hinterfolk! :)

Often while i am trying to survive and explore the beautiful world in The Long Dark i get so immersed and often wonder what life was maybe like or looked like before the big freeze hit. How was this Dam when it was running and providing power to the region? How busy was the camp Office and could a person get plenty of supplies and listen to the radio as they talked to the Ranger and sipped a coffee before hiking across the hills. Was there planes that landed on the lake and delivered new explorers and tourists and did the railways often have locomotives pulling row upon row of wagons making their way up the tracks to bring needed supplies to the area and beyond? Who where the people that lived in this part of the world and sadly perished into the frozen corpses we see and what was their stories?

I wish to try to give a sort of feel with some gently tweaked screenshots of this world as how it may have looked before the Apocalypse , intending to keep them as lore friendly and in the style of Hinterland and Raphael's vision. I hope i can do even a little justice to the amazing game given to us and the imagination of its creators. :)

I will try to add various images as and when i can but i hope you enjoy. x

Crimsy.

31 minutes ago, Crimson Foxx said:

This first one is just how i imagine the interior of the Camp office may have looked at Mystery Lake before the Dark took hold. i added some supplies and tried to make it look stocked and with some electricity in the lights and radio.

Camp Office before Darkness fell..png

there is no electricity in this game, the power is out so how do you explain your scenario? sure anyone can light up a room using graphic software tools but what is the idea of that is probably my question?

Cool. I look forward to more pics of yesteryear. You should also superimpose some like dark silhouettes in the rooms, maybe someone sitting in the corner and reading or two peeps sitting at a small table playing checkers. I was going to say...lord only knows how many checkers boards can be found in this game....then I realized I was thinking about Fallout :D But yeah, superimposed silhouettes could be cool, if you can do that, that is.

Oh and maybe put the word 'Before' in the title in caps and brackets, lol. Not sure you can change font in the titles though.

Yeah i totally agree. It needs life, people. I wanted to add some backpackers in the pics. Looking as if they are buying supplies or talking to the Camp Ranger/warden. But i really wanted to make sure they completely fitted to the style of the art and character look that Hinterland tease with their storymode previews. I will try. Silhouettes would be easy enough as long as a silhouette fitted that spot in the image. :)

I will do some more later. I think i will stick to interiors as i did try to edit an exterior screenshot turning the snow into green grass and a summer/spring look but that was too big a challenge and it looked terrible. LOL. Next i would like to do some of the dam. make it look lit up and running. :)

Yeah, you can't very well have a dark silhouette sitting in the light or sunlight. The dam would be neat. Or too, like this pic I have here....show a cabin outside in all the summer-y glory....green Birch trees, green grass,flowers, butterflies, etc. Not sure how you'd get the snow off the roof though...How about a guy fishing at the end of a dock somewhere? I know, I'm taking it too far. Those things would be too hard to do or too time consuming. I'm looking forward though to what you've planned on doing. It's interesting.

iii.jpg

Thanks Snow. Its mostly just tweaking and editing screenshots i take ingame and making them seem powered or alive. Like the lights working, powered objects operating and signs of people even if i cant add people.

External pics is a LOT harder. I tried removing snow and replacing with grass and greenery and it looked aweful. I could just still show life on snow, like skiing or snow mobiles etc but i think interior images will best capture what i am trying to achieve :)

Archived