What's decay like now for food, sleeping bags, etc?

Wasteland Watcher

Please tell me the current rates of decay for food, clothes, sleeping bags, etc. 

It seems to be a little different than what it was when I took a break a year ago. 

I noticed that meat keeps long in the snow now, makes sense. 

Food and clothes should ideally be stored in a drawer or locker inside a building still, right? 

What's the rate of decay for storing canned or boxed food in an outdoor container? 

I'm not going out in inclement weather but it seems like my clothes deteriorate about a half percent or so a day. 

I'm exploring Forlorn Muskeg now.  I arrived 4 days ago and have been sleeping in a cave every night. My sleeping bag is down from 100% to 96% already!  I carry it with me in my backpack all day long. Is it better to leave it sitting in the floor of the cave all day or would it decay less by remaining in my backpack like I'm doing now? 

Request: no spoilers on Forlorn Muskeg please. I'm really enjoying exploring it :)

On 6/3/2017 at 7:40 PM, Wasteland Watcher said:

Please tell me the current rates of decay for food, clothes, sleeping bags, etc. 

It seems to be a little different than what it was when I took a break a year ago. 

I noticed that meat keeps long in the snow now, makes sense. 

Food and clothes should ideally be stored in a drawer or locker inside a building still, right? 

What's the rate of decay for storing canned or boxed food in an outdoor container? 

The following thread is probably the best statisical analysis of what you're asking.. The earlier sections are kind of out of date, but the later info is pretty much current. It makes for some fascinating reading.

@JAFO thanks for the reference. Reading it identifies that sleeping bags deteriorate about 5% today when used. That is really fast. Too fast in my opinion.

My guess  for food deterioration rates is that commonsense prevails in that box/canned food lasts longer inside containers inside houses and deteriorates faster on the ground outside. 

With meat being the exact opposite. 

On 2017-6-6 at 5:46 PM, Wasteland Watcher said:

Reading it identifies that sleeping bags deteriorate about 5% today when used.

Don't know about today but when I played, it was about 1.2% per day. It depends on how many hours you sleep in it, though.

5 or 5.5% per day was maybe a year ago, before a major update that lowered most decay rates.

3 hours ago, Drifter Man said:

Don't know about today but when I played, it was about 1.2% per day. It depends on how many hours you sleep in it, though.

5 or 5.5% per day was maybe a year ago, before a major update that lowered most decay rates.

I was noticing the bedroll's condition having a 1% decrease per day before the faithful cartographer patch release.  This was in Forlorn Muskeg and I was keeping the sleeping bag with me at all times and sleeping with it every night in caves. 

On 6/6/2017 at 4:46 PM, Wasteland Watcher said:

My guess  for food deterioration rates is that commonsense prevails in that box/canned food lasts longer inside containers inside houses and deteriorates faster on the ground outside.

This isn't universal. Sardines decay quickly outside, as does soda while other canned goods are decay slowly outside; container or not, it doesn't matter. Dry goods - coffee, crackers, tea - are fine inside.

My sleeping bag is about 1% per use as well.

18 minutes ago, Carbon said:

This isn't universal. Sardines decay quickly outside, as does soda while other canned goods are decay slowly outside; container or not, it doesn't matter. Dry goods - coffee, crackers, tea - are fine inside.

My sleeping bag is about 1% per use as well.

Thanks for sharing, this helps me :)

Archived