change wolf eating behaviour on decoys

Gleudal

Hej hej!

I tested some decoy-mechanics today and I realised, that a wolf (and also a bear) just walk to the dropped decoy, eat it instantly and then move in the opposite direction, away from the player. I think it would be better, if they behave like with a hunted deer or rabbit: standing there and eat for a while, maybe sniffing suspiciously on the decoy, maybe scaring a food competitor (the survivor) a bit away or watching him/her if he/she will get closer (which would lead to a charge).

It actually used to work more like you describe, with the animal stopping to eat the food over a brief period.  They changed it because it made them a very easy target for shooting or archery, and was thus considered a sort of 'exploit'.  (Lock the animal in place with a piece of meat, kill it, harvest it, use one piece of meat from that animal to bait the next, and so on down the line.)

I imagine the current behavior being the animal picking up the meat and trotting off, moreso than actually vacuuming the food down.  I do think there should be a chance of either behavior occurring - more variation is more natural!  Just with the minor fix that an eating animal that gets put in the player's rifle or bow sights will have a high chance of going aggro, the way they currently do when held at bay with fire or dropped flares.

Archived