Writing / Notes

SquanderBot

I'd love if there were some way to leave notes or signs to remind me of the way to different places.

Carving into trees could work, and would be plausible. Or drawing on a rock with charcoal, but snow would wash that away quickly.

You could have it be a mechanic where you physically trace out your message, as opposed to a keyboard/typing interface.

Or if we were able to manipulate the orientation of sticks and wood on the ground, we could spell messages that way.

If you make your way in Mystery Lake from what was called the Tunnel Collapse, now the entrance to FM, to the Trapper's Cabin, there is now practically a trail of stones along the route.

Which gave me the idea of placing stones to mark out routes. Adding the occasional stick to point out a direction, would enable you to show the best route to shelter, for use during blizzards.

You can always drop burnt out torches and pebbles to mark your way through caves. You can also leave burnt out campfires to blaze your trail. Granola bars work for junction markers as do burnt out flares, even sticks. When you hit a junction, spark a fire with your brand to mark the entry then take another fresh brand down one fork, if it's a blind alley, head back and drop another brand to mark the correct route. The sticks you carry give you fresh brands and small fires. You can literally blaze a trail using fires and brands and sticks you pick up along the way; this keeps you warm when you travel and keeps you safe.

Currently sticks don't stay where you orient them I've found; well it was a while ago. They seem to have a mind of their own but verify this. Placed items should keep their orientation however that's extra state to maintain for each item in the map.

Archived