AlexandraRussia

13 minutes ago, Carbon said:

Removal/disposal of corpses is an idea, but let's not conflate it with morality.

People who support this are making it only about morality. They have no logical explanation other than "The bodies make me depressed" or "I feel bad for what they went through" even though they are just random figures placed in the game world who we have no connection to. 

People have been playing the game perfectly thine with dead bodies in the game since they were implemented. No point in making something out of nothing at all ..

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, EricTheGreat12 said:

Because unlike the player, a piece of meat cannot walk near wolf/bear areas. If your location is far from animals then your meat doesn't hold any sent of attraction with any of the animals. 

Even if i have a pile of rabbits between me and wolf, he will still ignore them and will only "detect" me. As long as smelly things are not in player inventory, they are undetectable by wildlife. I can have wolf packs running over stockpiles of meat, chasing me, without paying any attention to that meat.

22 hours ago, EricTheGreat12 said:

People who support this are making it only about morality. They have no logical explanation other than "The bodies make me depressed" or "I feel bad for what they went through" even though they are just random figures placed in the game world who we have no connection to. 

Well, while its obviously have nothing to do with morality, its more about mental state.

Some people are just uneasy or disturbed around human remains, even if its in game. Thats immersion.

I would be completely ok with option to remove sad corpses from area, albeit with some serious effort. After all, we are playing as bulimic who can barely carry his own body weight without keeling over.

As long as this option does not come with some immersion-destroying arbage like mental state "ohh, corpse, im so depressed suddenly". Ive seen plenty of bodies in my life and for me they are more like part of furnishing in game. I feel absolutely nothing seeing them. For me they are just a possibility to get some stuff. A piece of frozen meat, dressed.

I think that mentioning "morality" in this topic was a bit unhappy choice of word. But death, in general, is a delicate topic. We all know it's just a game, yet some people get quite immersed that they want to bring more real-life elements into the game.
What I can read in the comments is that some people see no problem living with dead bodies, while others would like to live in a place without dead bodies (maybe they don't want to be remembered constantly of their ultimate fate). Others even want to pay, in some way, homage to the deceased, pretty much like many of us do in real life.

Whatever your opinion is, I would like to remember that in these forums there are people from many different places, with different cultures, different customs, and different views of death, so please let's be considerate.

I think we should respect the sensibilities of those players who are not accustomed to First Person Shooter games which tend to stack up corpses like cordwood and walls are decorated in blood spatter. No No I say! This game is far too grisly as it is; it should permit the players to show respect and compassion for the dead. The theme of this game is quite... "Dark" so this question deserves serious consideration. I think we should definitely earn some type of karma points by being respectful of the dead. Perhaps it counts towards some gaming score when next we encounter an NPC with which to bargain!

On 5/29/2017 at 2:41 AM, EternityTide said:

Medical supplies are limited. If you go down with simultaneous parasites and food poisoning, you gonna die, because you don't have enough resources to treat that there (unless you hit the mother load in antibiotics). Alternatively, he could have been the victim of human violence. You can't tell, really. Given his position, I'd say he was killed by someone.
As for burial... possibly, but I would rather see a gradual decay mechanic implemented for human corpses as well as deer. Deer corpses slowly dissolve into the snow over time, the only reason human corpses don't is because they carry higher value (non renewable) items. In a survival situation, the concept of burial is a bit strange to me, because I tend to follow the same lines of logic as Everest expeditions do:

It makes more sense to me to just allow looted bodies to sink into the snow and disappear. Storage should be available in the form of caches (which are set up like snow shelters), as oppose to this weird concept of using a corpse to store 50 kilos of venison.

Nah, when I see the people leaning against the wall, hands on their knees, painkillers sitting right next to them, it would make sense to me  that they just gave up and took their own life. The laying down guys look as if they've been mauled on the other hand.

When I first started the game I thought I found a corpse where I died, so I concluded that corpses were a product of a person playing the game... would be a cool small addition...

11 minutes ago, CalNieDaGtarGuy said:

Nah, when I see the people leaning against the wall, hands on their knees, painkillers sitting right next to them, it would make sense to me  that they just gave up and took their own life. The laying down guys look as if they've been mauled on the other hand.

When I first started the game I thought I found a corpse where I died, so I concluded that corpses were a product of a person playing the game... would be a cool small addition...

Sure story mode maybe fine, sit  or lay as many "john does" (dead people) as you like in a house but in sandbox play, I would rather none, why? cause sandbox you stuck with them until the game ends. At least let us move them out.

On 6/19/2017 at 9:12 AM, Dirmagnos said:

Fava beans and Chianti are on the menu ? :D

Groan! Please! No Silent Lambs!

Concerning funerals, I'm not one for celebrating supernatural things but I think the idea of humanity has some relevance after an apocalypse; Do we simply abandon all semblance of civility? No, this is Canada. The wilderness is closer to us. The coldness enforces it's own frigid reality.

We never forget the lesson by Robert Service on The Cremation of Sam McGee!

The Cremation of Sam McGee Related Poem Content Details By Robert W. Service There are strange things done in the midnight sun By the men who moil for gold; The Arctic trails have their secret tales That would make your blood run cold; The Northern Lights have seen queer sights,  But the queerest they ever did see Was that night on the marge of Lake Lebarge I cremated Sam McGee.

Now a promise made is a debt unpaid, and the trail has its own stern code.
In the days to come, though my lips were dumb, in my heart how I cursed that load.
In the long, long night, by the lone firelight, while the huskies, round in a ring,
Howled out their woes to the homeless snows— O God! how I loathed the thing.

And every day that quiet clay seemed to heavy and heavier grow;
And on I went, though the dogs were spent and the grub was getting low;
The trail was bad, and I felt half mad, but I swore I would not give in;
And I'd often sing to the hateful thing, and it hearkened with a grin.

Till I came to the marge of Lake Lebarge, and a derelict there lay;
It was jammed in the ice, but I saw in a trice it was called the "Alice May."
And I looked at it, and I thought a bit, and I looked at my frozen chum;
Then "Here," said I, with a sudden cry, "is my cre-ma-tor-eum."

Some planks I tore from the cabin floor, and I lit the boiler fire;
Some coal I found that was lying around, and I heaped the fuel higher;
The flames just soared, and the furnace roared—such a blaze you seldom see;
And I burrowed a hole in the glowing coal, and I stuffed in Sam McGee.

Then I made a hike, for I didn't like to hear him sizzle so;
And the heavens scowled, and the huskies howled, and the wind began to blow.
It was icy cold, but the hot sweat rolled down my cheeks, and I don't know why;
And the greasy smoke in an inky cloak went streaking down the sky.

I do not know how long in the snow I wrestled with grisly fear;
But the stars came out and they danced about ere again I ventured near;
I was sick with dread, but I bravely said: "I'll just take a peep inside.
I guess he's cooked, and it's time I looked"; ... then the door I opened wide.

And there sat Sam, looking cool and calm, in the heart of the furnace roar;
And he wore a smile you could see a mile, and he said: "Please close that door.
It's fine in here, but I greatly fear you'll let in the cold and storm—
Since I left Plumtree, down in Tennessee, it's the first time I've been warm."

Now if I only had a sleigh and a few faithful dogs, I'd load up all the stiffs and haul them down to the sea and cook up these poor old cadavers in the furnace of the Rankin. There should be a challenge for that!

Thanks for sharing this poem with us. I didn't know it (my mother tongue is not English).
I found it very beautiful. Also, this version by Johnny Cash made me quite emotional:

Also, the images used in the video are quite similar to the game's environment.

8 hours ago, SteveP said:

Concerning funerals, I'm not one for celebrating supernatural things but I think the idea of humanity has some relevance after an apocalypse; Do we simply abandon all semblance of civility? No, this is Canada. The wilderness is closer to us. The coldness enforces it's own frigid reality.

I share the same opinion. For me, it would make the game even deeper and more beautiful.

I'm another one that simply uses them as storage (sticks normally)

Whilst I can understand the wish of some to have a bury/burn option I am not in favour - even though it doesn't actually even need animation or a change of scene (using the same reasoning that 'melting snow' while inside at a stove doesn't transition you outside to gather snow, or that harvesting a limb simply has a timer and then the limb disappears).

However, as I use it for storage, I certainly wouldn't want the choice menu (for burn/bury) to appear every time I opened the corpse-container. It would get tedious pretty quickly.

After enough days alone in the world, and the daily grind of collecting sticks, I think I'd also miss the indoor corpses' company. I often find myself talking to them occasionally when returning home, or when heading to bed. Wishing them goodnight or letting them know I'm home...

Archived