The Hunted Part 2 -- I Give Up?

SquanderBot

Yeah, I've been doing all kinds of elaborate things trying to complete this challenge and nothing seems to be working. 

I think there are probably certain conditions where your rifle shot will do maximum damage to the bear, and I've been trying through trial and error to see what they are. One thing I tried was having every shot in the middle of the bear's chest as he is rearing up to attack. Shot him 20 times this way over the course of the challenge and ran out of bullets. So I figure maybe he is much less vulnerable to bullets when he is in attack mode. So then I tried hitting every shot to the bear's side while he is unaware of me. After 21 shots of this type the bear is still alive and I'm out of bullets. 

I'm guessing head shots are probably not really effective here?

I've tried starting the challenge by trekking all the way out to Hibernia Processing and searching everywhere in between for extra bullets. The only place I didn't go was Timberwolf Mountain, but I find it hard to believe the challenge would require this much travel. While I didn't find many extra bullets at all (outside of Mystery Lake), all the extra clothing I found meant that I could track the bear all day without freezing. But I ended up killed by wolves.

I also tried dropping a fish to distract the bear but the fish just blinks out of existence when the bear touches it en route to mauling me.

Long story short, I feel like I've done more than enough to have that bear be dead, and it doesn't even seem to be bleeding at this point.

I'm ready to give up on figuring this out for myself. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

5 minutes ago, SquanderBot said:

Yeah, I've been doing all kinds of elaborate things trying to complete this challenge and nothing seems to be working. 

I think there are probably certain conditions where your rifle shot will do maximum damage to the bear, and I've been trying through trial and error to see what they are. One thing I tried was having every shot in the middle of the bear's chest as he is rearing up to attack. Shot him 20 times this way over the course of the challenge and ran out of bullets. So I figure maybe he is much less vulnerable to bullets when he is in attack mode. So then I tried hitting every shot to the bear's side while he is unaware of me. After 21 shots of this type the bear is still alive and I'm out of bullets. 

I'm guessing head shots are probably not really effective here?

I've tried starting the challenge by trekking all the way out to Hibernia Processing and searching everywhere in between for extra bullets. The only place I didn't go was Timberwolf Mountain, but I find it hard to believe the challenge would require this much travel. While I didn't find many extra bullets at all (outside of Mystery Lake), all the extra clothing I found meant that I could track the bear all day without freezing. But I ended up killed by wolves.

I also tried dropping a fish to distract the bear but the fish just blinks out of existence when the bear touches it en route to mauling me.

Long story short, I feel like I've done more than enough to have that bear be dead, and it doesn't even seem to be bleeding at this point.

I'm ready to give up on figuring this out for myself. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

How has it been when tracking the Old Bear? (Hint -- tracking is a big part of this challenge)

wait you left mystery lake? i didnt know that you could do that in this challenge. anyway like patrick said tracking is a big thing in this challenge so keep charging the bear (you are the hunter after all) only shoot when he charges you and if you do this right you should finish in 1 or 2 days. i have always found more bullets in the cabin so grab those for getting rid of meddlesome wolves.

now i have probably already said too much so i will leave you with this: remember this is a challenge so survival is not a huge priority, just get to the end. dont leave mystery lake just follow the bear. shoot when necessary never otherwise. last time i completed this i got hypothermia right before the end and that was from being outside most of the time after the cabin. if you still struggle then look up a guide.

The bear runs in a pattern around several places in mystery lake only.  You have to follow him and shoot him in most locations.
If I remember correctly there are a couple spots he just runs away then you track him to the next spot.

The pattern is the same for every single Hunted part 2 challenge.

On 5/26/2017 at 3:22 PM, Patrick Carlson said:

How has it been when tracking the Old Bear? (Hint -- tracking is a big part of this challenge)

I chase him, shoot him when he reaches his waypoint, and repeat until I have to go inside for warmth or sleep. After a while I knew where he was going so I'd shoot him once at the start and then go off gathering supplies and bullets, and then come back and find him and resume the chase. I guess what I probably need to do is keep more pressure on, because the bear regains health again? I've been near his cave at the end and hiding behind a railing in front of a cabin where he couldn't change me, and shot him ten times at point blank range and nothing happens.

On 5/26/2017 at 7:11 PM, stapeliad said:

The bear runs in a pattern around several places in mystery lake only.  You have to follow him and shoot him in most locations.
If I remember correctly there are a couple spots he just runs away then you track him to the next spot.

The pattern is the same for every single Hunted part 2 challenge.

oh yes I'm well aware of the pattern after a multitude of attempts. After spending 20-21 bullets on the bear and no ammo left, that's when I decided you must have to search elsewhere for more ammo. But I guess the answer is that you can't give the bear time to recover between shots?

On 5/29/2017 at 5:48 PM, stapeliad said:

The answer is a spoiler....

Reveal hidden contents

You cannot kill the bear in this challenge. The end of the challenge sets up part 3. 

not gonna look yet but probably soon when I've given up completely. :)

Update:

I tried another approach and just can't understand why it doesn't work. Maybe someone can tell me, in terms of game tuning/mechanics, why I'm not succeeding.

This time at the start of the challenge, I gather supplies in the cabin, exit the cabin and quickly run around the back of the cabin and stand on a rock ledge where the bear can't reach me. The bear runs off to his first waypoint.

Now, instead of tracking the bear right away, I head off to the Camp Office, collect the bullets there, head to the Dam and collect more bullets there, collect as much clothing and food as I can along the way, and then head back to the Trapper's Cabin. I spend the night in the cabin and start the next day fully warm, rested, hydrated etc, with a bit more clothing so I can stay outside longer. And I won't have to give up the chase due to running out of ammo because I have 21 rifle cartridges.

I head out of the cabin over the ridge to the first waypoint, shoot the bear and start tracking. I get a clean shot at each stoppoing point, and I'm able to track him all the way until he gets back to Mystery Lake where the river meets it. At this point I've shot the bear 12 times in a span of about 6 hours. I'm at about 20% condition here and have to sleep next to a fire for 2 hours to stay alive. After that I find the bear in the open on Mystery Lake, and shoot him so he advances to his final stop -- the cave. I now have shot him 13 times in about 8 hours and have 8 bullets left.

The bear heads into the cave and I pop into the lake cabin near the dock to make sure my progress is saved. After that I'm able to hide under the dock and shoot the bear 8 more times in quick succession. Bullets are all gone and bear is still walking around. No indication that's it's particularly hurt at all.

Here's the video of the last 8 shots:

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/SQUAND0R/video/31829726

Is there some other arbitrary factor at play here? Maybe I'm supposed to let the bear attack me? I'm out of ideas.

I tried another approach and just can't understand why it doesn't work. Maybe someone can tell me, in terms of game tuning/mechanics, why I'm not succeeding.

I did already... there is only one way to answer your question, it is in the spoiler above.

11 hours ago, stapeliad said:

I did already... there is only one way to answer your question, it is in the spoiler above.

Ok, I finally peeked at your spoiler. Wow, If that's the case then I guess my suspicion was right. That's really disappointing! I thought about just letting the bear get me, but I also didn't want to flush all my progress down the drain if it didn't work. Sigh. Anyway, thanks for the answer, I appreciate it! I love love love this game but that challenge is some BS! Why would I want to play part 3? What arbitrary conditions await me in that one? I guess technically it only says "face the old bear" so it's my fault for assuming your were supposed to kill him. :\

• 1 month later...
On 5/31/2017 at 8:58 AM, SquanderBot said:

Ok, I finally peeked at your spoiler. Wow, If that's the case then I guess my suspicion was right. That's really disappointing! I thought about just letting the bear get me, but I also didn't want to flush all my progress down the drain if it didn't work. Sigh. Anyway, thanks for the answer, I appreciate it! I love love love this game but that challenge is some BS! Why would I want to play part 3? What arbitrary conditions await me in that one? I guess technically it only says "face the old bear" so it's my fault for assuming your were supposed to kill him. :\

Heres what youre doing wrong, (not intending to sound mean; its easy to misunderstand what is needed to be done)

Youre trying to snipe the bear. On the last part where hes in the cave, you have to trigger his charge and try to shoot him, then the challenge will be completed and youll get the badge. Hope this helps!

Remember, this challenge is not about self preservation, its about facing up to the bear. You can complete this challege without using more bullets than whats in the trappers cabin and camp office, so dont waste time going to the dam. Once he gets to the cave, get him to charge you and shoot your final shot.

9 hours ago, MarrowStone said:

Heres what youre doing wrong, (not intending to sound mean; its easy to misunderstand what is needed to be done)

Youre trying to snipe the bear. On the last part where hes in the cave, you have to trigger his charge and try to shoot him, then the challenge will be completed and youll get the badge. Hope this helps!

Remember, this challenge is not about self preservation, its about facing up to the bear. You can complete this challege without using more bullets than whats in the trappers cabin and camp office, so dont waste time going to the dam. Once he gets to the cave, get him to charge you and shoot your final shot.

I'm trying to snipe the bear because the game placed so much emphasis on finding the rifle I assumed that the rifle would have some effect on the bear.

10 hours ago, SquanderBot said:

I'm trying to snipe the bear because the game placed so much emphasis on finding the rifle I assumed that the rifle would have some effect on the bear.

As stated earlier i understand why you were trying to snipe the bear. Im honestly surprised that your issue isnt more common among other members of the community. It might be beneficial for the devs to work on the bears behavior a little to make it harder to be confused about the challenge.

Just shoot the bear once every encounter and you wont have to go bullet hunting, good luck!

Just now, MarrowStone said:

As stated earlier i understand why you were trying to snipe the bear. Im honestly surprised that your issue isnt more common among other members of the community. It might be beneficial for the devs to work on the bears behavior a little to make it harder to be confused about the challenge.

Just shoot the bear once every encounter and you wont have to go bullet hunting, good luck!

thanks, I've completed the challenge long ago. Once I found out about this I loaded up my game and sacrificed myself to the bear. Leading the player toward a pre-determined failure is not a challenge, imo.

Archived