Improvised snow trekking sled

ranger1183

The pack gets loaded to quickly, and there is no need to have to lift all this weight.  In the real world I would take a car hood (car "bonnet" for those in England), find a tool kit to remove the hood/bonnet, tie some rope to it, and drag it across the ground will all my extra gear / water / deer-wolf-bear meat on it.  

On roads and even surfaces this would work well.  

On uneven surfaces I would: 

1. have to unload everything,

2. pack the extra gear to the next even surface,

3. go back and make a second trip for the sled,

4. then load it up again and continue on.

I would make it so sleds could NOT be transported through caves, tight spaces, over rough terrain, or up steep slopes.  But you could salvage the pull rope to use again with another hood/bonnet.

Possibly make the hood/bonnet capable of being a lean-to shelter?

Also maybe use a Yakima/Thule "Space Cadet" type car storage system (NOT currently in game) for the same purpose.

spacecadetb.jpg

7 hours ago, ranger1183 said:

In the real world I would take a car hood (car "bonnet" for those in England), find a tool kit to remove the hood/bonnet, tie some rope to it, and drag it across the ground will all my extra gear / water / deer-wolf-bear meat on it.

Heck, the only tool needed to do that would be a hacksaw..

I like this suggestion. There have been lots of requests to allow us to build sleds/travois, etc, but this is the first time I've seen someone suggest making use of something that already exists in-game.

Archived