Saves From One Account Copied Over To Another

Good day,

While attempting to ensure the latest Steam cloud save from one computer (A) was played on another (B), the saves from another user (User 2) that also uses the same computer (B) under a different Steam account was managed to be uploaded into my cloud version, overwriting all progress of any save I had.

It'll flow as follows:

-Two different computers, two different steam accounts

-User 1 saves on Computer A & B with stable cloud updates/syncs

-User 2 saves only  on Computer B

-Played User 1's account on Computer A, closed game, cloud updated/synced

-Started computer B, cloud syncs when starting User 1's account, open game, User 2 saves appear, close steam while being unable to stop the cloud sync process

-Attempt to go back to Computer A with User 1's account and find that it syncs to use User 2's saves taken from Computer B

-User 1's previous saves all replaced by User 2's saves on User 1's account.

Now, User 2's saves are on computer A, mind you that User 2 has never logged onto computer A with Steam.

On that note, I do not know what is in play currently that changed to have any syncs cross from one account to another. We have purchased the game twice in order to show our support and we have utilized having our own saves while maintaining good syncs over time. Now, one account had their saves overwritten and hopefully something can be changed.

Is there anything that could help keep saves from not moving into another account by attaching matching designations (eg. account names) part of a file save or sync check?

Thank you!

SleepyWolf

I've received a message from Steam. Names removed for privacy. The reply was as follows:

"I've looked into this issue and discovered the reason as to why this is happening.

It appears that The Long Dark syncs all of the files from the following folder:

• C:\Users\(Username)\AppData\Local\Hinterland\TheLongDark

Please note that (Username) here reflects the name of the Windows user account on your device. If you'd like to find this folder yourself, you will need to first enable hidden files and folders using these instructions.

Since it seems like you and this user are sharing the same Windows user account on one of those two computers, both of your save files are being placed in that same folder. This is why the other user's save files are being sync'd with your cloud because the game developers did not make the save files specific to Steam accounts but rather Windows user accounts.

If you want your saves to be separate from this user's, you will need to always login to a different Windows user account than the one they're playing on. Keep in mind that you would have to manually copy and move the saves from the folder mentioned above to the same path for your new Windows user account to retain your current progress in the game.

Please let me know if I can help clarify anything else.

Steam Support"

It appears this is something on the developer's end.

21 hours ago, SleepyWolf said:

It appears this is something on the developer's end.

No.. as Steam's reply states, this is very clearly a problem at your end.

It's not enough that User2 has a separate Steam account. 

SleepyWolf and User2 are both using SleepyWolf's Windows login account on the same computer. So both players saves are stored at:
C:\Users\SleepyWolf\AppData\Local\Hinterland\TheLongDark
Which results in whoever plays last, overwrites the other's saves.

You need to create a new, separate Windows user login on the computer for User2. That way, when User2 logs into their own account on your computer, their game-saves will be stored at:
C:\Users\User2\AppData\Local\Hinterland\TheLongDark

And then there will be no more overwriting.

Archived