Fishing Catch and Release

Ice Hole

Any reason to release a fish. 

Usually on interloper there seems no reason as food is scarce.  Maybe on other levels of play because of an issue with encumbrance. 

Does it increase the chance that the next fish will be larger or different?  I experimented with catch and release and could not discern any difference. 

Anyone have a reason for the ability to release a fish.

i dont see a reason to release a fish. for as far as i know the size of fish caught is based on a random dice roll so if you catch a fish (even if it is small) you should keep it. if you are encumbered then i recommend dropping them just outside your fishing hut as you can cook and transport them later an they dont reduce in condition when kept in the cold (also cooked fish are lighter so when transporting try to move only cooked things). if you are worried about running out of fire time then i recommend cooking your largest fish first then work on your others later.

hope this helps.

5 hours ago, TheHunter280 said:

since the fish population is the same

Is this for real.  I have wondered if over fishing was possible.  When fishing at ML for two weeks on interloper and noticed I was not catching too many of the SMB but chalked it up to the ramping difficulty in the same way the weather gets progressively worse.

If the game is tracking population then by releasing the smaller high gain fish should allow for the fish to grow or cause an increase to that population.  Could not find any documentation about the fish population being monitored.  Someday I will test this by overfishing the SMB at PV.  It is the smaller of the three fresh water fishing holes so the impact of over fishing should happen at a faster rate.

5 hours ago, TheHunter280 said:

It's just for grinding

Had not thought about grinding.  Thanks for the reply.

3 hours ago, Farrgin Ice Hole said:

If the game is tracking population then by releasing the smaller high gain fish should allow for the fish to grow or cause an increase to that population.

Even if TLD is tracking population, I doubt they're going to the trouble of including a growth-cycle.. it would be more likely that the same mechanism is in place as for other animals.. a few days after one is killed, a new one is spawned/added to the population.

@Farrgin Ice Hole When I've said

On 29/05/2017 at 5:30 PM, TheHunter280 said:

since the fish population is the same

The game register the fish you took out and will reduce the chance of catching fish but if you release all of them the cooldown wont be activated but who know how the codes work ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

23 hours ago, Farrgin Ice Hole said:

If the game is tracking population then by releasing the smaller high gain fish should allow for the fish to grow or cause an increase to that population.  Could not find any documentation about the fish population being monitored.  Someday I will test this by overfishing the SMB at PV.  It is the smaller of the three fresh water fishing holes so the impact of over fishing should happen at a faster rate.

It would be cool to post your observation of the cooldown on the smallest fishing spot and I already see you planning the trip :-)

On 5/29/2017 at 9:07 PM, JAFO said:

it would be more likely that the same mechanism is in place as for other animals

That makes sense. Occam's razor is practical.

Thanks for the reply.

I am intrigued to test this and will do this using the test branch version.  That data will be much more relevant and maybe the devs changed some things.  So the C&R Fish Experiment thread will have to exist over there.  There already is a fishing thread discussion going on.

On 5/30/2017 at 5:07 PM, TheHunter280 said:

It would be cool to post your observation of the cooldown

The premise is releasing fish has a positive impact on population.  Fishing and releasing the Small Mouth Bass at Pensive Pond to notice a change in chance to catch and weight.  Start fishing at similar times and fish for 12 hours each day.

On 5/30/2017 at 5:07 PM, TheHunter280 said:

I already see you planning the trip :-)

The difficulty level is something I am debating.  This experiment will be over several weeks maybe months and playing interloper instead of stalker might risk the success of the experiment.  A start at TM; a summit climb to get all the gear; then off to Pensive Pond; make camp at the Forest Cave.  Once the experiment starts I want to be able to fish 12 hours each day so a large wood pile will be the next priority. 

I will post more details in the C&R Fishing thread.

EDIT

The experiment is about to start.  After 34 days on stalker fishing in CH, I set the fishing skill to level five.  More than 50 kg coal is sitting at the Cinder Hills mine PV entrance along with various items that I collected around CH.  There are plans for a bear skin bedroll so I might not need to leave the fishing hut.  The fishing tackle exceeds 15 and plenty more gut.

Edit#2

While waiting for the bear hide to cure I moved all the relevant gear to my new home.  With seventy five kilograms of coal I should be able to keep warm while I occupy Pensive Pond.

I plan on to just fish and live inside the fishing shack.

screen_884f7e46-e4fc-4bc3-b406-b3ede3832786_hi.thumb.png.e55f0a7790de9a241a2882e0f2ec99c7.png Catch and Release Fishing at Pensive Pond

Archived