Sound effect for transitioning indoors is from High Fidelity!

TorQueMoD

OMG, I'm watching High Fidelity on Netflix cause I haven't seen it for a while and the sound effect for the door to John Cusack's record shop is the exact same sound effect as the one used to transition to indoors in TLD! Is this coincidence that it just sounds the same or was it a royalty free SFX that you wanted to use as a nod to the movie? Now I'm going to be listening for it everywhere like the Wilhelm Scream!

8 hours ago, TorQueMoD said:

OMG, I'm watching High Fidelity on Netflix cause I haven't seen it for a while and the sound effect for the door to John Cusack's record shop is the exact same sound effect as the one used to transition to indoors in TLD! Is this coincidence that it just sounds the same or was it a royalty free SFX that you wanted to use as a nod to the movie? Now I'm going to be listening for it everywhere like the Wilhelm Scream!

A lot of sounds from across multiple movies and games are borrowed from each other. 

I grew with playing Age of Empires 2. Most of the times I watch movies I hear the same horse sound over and over again from the game.  I guess it's just a discrete way to use sound effects ;)

It's not in The Long Dark, but once you recognize the Wilhelm Scream, you will never stop hearing it in movies.  A lot of stuff gets re-used, and some are more venerable than others.  :)

On the topic of video games sharing a Foley library with Hollywood, I get a momentary freakout every time some movie or show re-uses the door open/close sound effects from Doom.

I was just curious whether or not the devs did this as a nod to the movie or if it's just coincidence. And yeah that doom door sound is hilarious! Sometimes I think it's just a similar sound but other times it's like, no that was clearly the exact same sound.

Archived