Question About Infection

Wasteland Watcher

10 hours ago, Jolan said:

Treat or die

^This.  

The risk of infection starts at 25% and increases 5% per hour.  So it takes 15 hours for the risk of infection to become a full-blown infection. 

Some more specifics about full-blown infections:

• You lose 5% condition per hour
  • You can't recover condition from sleeping or being well fed  (the risk of infection does allow you to regain condition)
  • You can recover condition by using stims (15% per)

I used stims to extend my time with a full blown infection past 24 hours just to see if the infection cured itself... nope!  Treat or die, indeed.

At about 6% I partially cured the infection by taking antibiotics.  But I wasn't able to recover any condition until I'd completed the required 8 hours of sleep as well.

@Ruruwawa @Jolan Thanks very much for confirming + additional info :)

BTW I was wondering about it & was going to ask but @Jolan confirmed about the treating each case of infection separately:
I was going to ask if you got an infection could you then, for a short time, fight wolves with impunity, and then take one dose of antibiotics for all of it.
Anyhow, I think with the -5% condition per hour no one would be in any state to melee with a wolf anyhow :P

Slightly off topic, with the sprains from wolf fighting, you need to treat seperately if you use meds, but just need to put in the max sleep (4 hours for an ankle, 2 for a wrist) even if you banged up multiple parts.  

24 minutes ago, Jolan said:

Slightly off topic, with the sprains from wolf fighting, you need to treat seperately if you use meds, but just need to put in the max sleep (4 hours for an ankle, 2 for a wrist) even if you banged up multiple parts.  

One thing I noticed about sprains during my infection testing: they also prevent you from regaining condition from sleeping/being well fed until cured.  That's a small detail, but possibly important if you are really tight on condition.

11 minutes ago, Ruruwawa said:

One thing I noticed about sprains during my infection testing: they also prevent you from regaining condition from sleeping/being well fed until cured.  That's a small detail, but possibly important if you are really tight on condition.

I hadn't noticed this before!

1 minute ago, Timber Wolf said:

I hadn't noticed this before!

I only noticed because when I hugged the wolf he gave me a sprained wrist and ankle in addition to the chance of infection.   I was tracking my condition and it wasn't going up by the 1% per hour for being well fed (aka, not starving).  I tried sleeping 2 hours... no increase in condition at all, and still no condition from being well fed.  So I took painkillers to cure the ankle too and my condition started going up again.

What I've noticed is that you don't regain condition until you've slept all of the hours you need to sleep, whether its for food poisoning, sprains, etc.  On the plus side - you can sleep the full amount you need even if you aren't technically tired enough to sleep that amount.

@Jolan I've had times where I left the PV farmhouse and had a sprain by the time I reached the Lower Falls. I guess that I might've worn out enough to sleep one hour by then but definitely not enough for the four-hours sleep required for a sprained ankle.

If I was going to sleep away from my field base I'd choose a cave or a fish hut. If I *must* sleep in the open for any reason, fire is definitely mandatory. I learned this the hard way by taking a two hour nap at the bottom of a climbing rope in TWM one day and awakening to the jaws of a bear :S

@Wasteland WatcherI've actually taken a nap without a fire - but only where I can clearly see the critters.  Its not wise, but I have done it.  Last time I was stuck between wolf groups and was going to need to run to make it to safety.  and the birds weren't indicating a weather shift, so I rolled the dice and snoozed.  But Pumpkin Pie always did live dangerously.

@Wasteland WatcherThat survivor was on stalker, I haven't gotten to the point where I'm ever warm enough to do something that crazy in interloper.  Alas Pumpkin Pie forgot that wolves will charge without warning when defending a kill and can evidently see through hills.  She died while waiting for a bear to bleed out from a flare.  A wolf took down a rabbit on the other side of a hill and then charged  over the hill and jumped her.  As her condition was a wee bit reduced at that the start of the fight it was good night Pumpkin Pie (second of the name).  But she did make it out of the being pinned by wolves situation alive and with only a small amount of rock scrambling and sprinting.  

19 hours ago, Jolan said:

@Wasteland WatcherThat survivor was on stalker, I haven't gotten to the point where I'm ever warm enough to do something that crazy in interloper.  Alas Pumpkin Pie forgot that wolves will charge without warning when defending a kill and can evidently see through hills.  She died while waiting for a bear to bleed out from a flare.  A wolf took down a rabbit on the other side of a hill and then charged  over the hill and jumped her.  As her condition was a wee bit reduced at that the start of the fight it was good night Pumpkin Pie (second of the name).  But she did make it out of the being pinned by wolves situation alive and with only a small amount of rock scrambling and sprinting.  

Death by wolf...a bad way to go.  Through a bit of unplanned experimentation yesterday I discovered that every wolf attack decreases condition 25% (I'd never really payed attention to the % decrease before, just being glad I was still alive). I guess that means more than three a day makes you dead, if you started at 100%.  This is on Voyageur.
On Stalker/Interloper does a wolf attack cause substantially more damage?

11 minutes ago, Timber Wolf said:

Check out some tests I ran here.

Looking at the charts...it looks like condition loss on Stalker was all over the place.

Yesterday I was at 100% condition, but winded and over encumbered, fought a wolf bringing my condition down to 75%. I went into a house and bandaged myself, left the house and within a minute was attacked again by apparently a different wolf because it just ran off after the struggle. After that condition was down to 50%.

What you're wearing can make a huge difference as well.  But generally I find the wolves are tougher.  I don't sweat one attack unless its interloper, or I'm down condition (which is a given on interloper :) )  I'm over the moon if I find gauntlets.  Combine that with wolf coat, combat boots and work pants and I laugh, laugh I say at wolves.  Unless we're on Interloper, then its run screaming from the wolves.

@Wasteland WatcherWarmth is the same, rabbit skin is a skosh more waterproof (50% vs. 40%), gauntlets are a skosh more protective (6% vs. 5%), guantlets slow you down a little less (-3% v. -5%).  Rabbit skins require rabbits skins to repair, gauntlets require cured leather.  What I don't have stats for is how quickly they degrade.  I swear the gauntlets last longer.  Also, when you repair the gauntlets, there's a bigger repair percentage (65% condition vs. 30% condition)

2 hours ago, Jolan said:

@Wasteland WatcherWarmth is the same, rabbit skin is a skosh more waterproof (50% vs. 40%), gauntlets are a skosh more protective (6% vs. 5%), guantlets slow you down a little less (-3% v. -5%).  Rabbit skins require rabbits skins to repair, gauntlets require cured leather.  What I don't have stats for is how quickly they degrade.  I swear the gauntlets last longer.  Also, when you repair the gauntlets, there's a bigger repair percentage (65% condition vs. 30% condition)

Thank you for sharing the knowledge :)
If the gauntlets had spiked knuckles for hostile wolf punching...would be nice :P

Archived