A tent

T.V

I was wondering: If the long dark is in the place where's a lot of mountain stuff. So what about tents? I was thinking about them and invent this:

Simple tent:

description: A simple tent that can provide a bit from the wind and low temperature. Using at extreme wheater is not recommended

Weight: 6.5 kg

Temp. bonus: 7 ° C

every use takes 4%. 

Can be repaired by maple/birch saplings/sticks and cloth and sewing kit

Mountain tent:

description:  Tent made for mountain climbers. Light, but tight. 

Weight: 5,2 kg

Temp. bonus: 6 ° C

every use takes 2%

Can be repaired by maple/birch saplings and cloth/deer hide sewing kit

Every tent provides 10 kg container. You could use a bedroll to sleep in there. 

Can be picked up and replaced.

You can use the rifle in them, but you can't use a bow.

If there's a blizzard tent has the ability to fall over. ( only if you're not in there, but that still means you're able to dead from the low temp )

Wildlife still can attack you, and that will damage your tent 

Placing takes 10-30 minutes ( depends on the % of tent and the fatigue )

Can be zipped up to hide from wildlife, blizzard or wind.

Can be found practically in every location, placed or just as an item

If broken, can be harvested to gain cloth, but can't be repaired.

Available in the camp craft section. 

I have a portable ice hut that you can carry around with little effort. It's actually quite warm with a propane stove. I don't think we will ever see that kind of luxury in game though. Besides, as soon as you ran out of propane it would not be worth carrying. (tent or stove)

I love tents, I'm an avid camper. My only thing is I don't think they would really serve much of a purpose on TLD because of the cold. I live where its pretty warm and have found that tents do not really provide any warmth at all. Maybe if you have a bedroll and a partner to share your metabolic heat. But in the snow, with high winds? I don't think the tent would be ideal, especially because you can't be next to a fire while you're in a tent.

2 hours ago, michael_martin said:

I love tents, I'm an avid camper. My only thing is I don't think they would really serve much of a purpose on TLD because of the cold. I live where its pretty warm and have found that tents do not really provide any warmth at all. Maybe if you have a bedroll and a partner to share your metabolic heat. But in the snow, with high winds? I don't think the tent would be ideal, especially because you can't be next to a fire while you're in a tent.

Yep.  In real life a snow shelter is far better than a tent in this setting.  Well insulated and snug.

9 hours ago, michael_martin said:

I wonder what they sleep in on Mt Everest. ;)

The idea that it would provide protection from bears or wolves is a bit of a stretch. Then again, that either are as interested/unafraid of/in humans as they currently are in TLD is a stretch too, so...

How about a bivouac for TWM? :)

Waaay 2 much warmth bonus. Its like even worse version of Snow Shelter, that is bad on itself. Couple degrees at the most.

It should provide 100% protection from windchill and it degradation should be based on weather condition, with durability loss based on time used and wind conditions. So one hour in strong wind will do a lot of damage compared to one hour in calm weather, that would little to none.

Should provide zero protection from wildlife. And it animal attacks it trashes tend, no matter it original durability.

This is a cool component, but the snow shelter would become obsolete. Also, the amount of programming time would probably be better used on something else. It would make sense that a wolf would almost destroy the tent and a bear would definitely destroy it. Programming a tent blowing away or ripping would also be difficult. I think this idea might be best saved for later, however may eventually be a good idea.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-05-18 at 10:09 PM, JAFO said:

I can't see myself ever lugging that much mass around, just for a shelter.

On 2017-05-25 at 1:12 PM, ranger1183 said:

I'd like to use all my excess deer hides for something productive.  Why not sew them together for an improvised tent/bivy shelter?

Dude a normal tent is like 2.5kg MAX !!! 6kg is like a fawkin penthouse tent !x) 

• 3 weeks later...

In addition to the Simple and Mountain tent, there should be a tent made out of fur too. Some examples are teepees or yurts. This would give a bigger warmth bonus than the mountain tent but the downside would be that it is really heavy. 

Teepee.thumb.jpg.96b0507c4a386b95094d0a70b5f387b8.jpg

This is a Teepee.

Archived