Challenge Failed... Why Did I Die?

SquanderBot

Here's the video clip: http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/SQUAND0R/video/31304477

Well, i have a pretty good idea why I died. I had accidentally drank some unsafe water and was sick from it.

However, I thought all I needed to do was rest for 10 hours. Was I supposed to take medicine also? I recall checking my First Aid page but maybe I missed something.

There also seems to be a red icon hiding behind the Heavy Load icon in the lower left?

I guess the point of this post is that when it says "Challenge Failed" at the end, it would be nice if it also said how you died.

I was just about to complete the Whiteout challenge too! :(

1st: you were not fully hydrated when you slept. always drink as much as you can before sleeping. if you are completely saturated when you sleep then you will become thirsty and start loosing condition shortly after 10 hours of sleep. (you lost quite a bit of condition due to sleeping for too long and for not being hydrated)

2nd: if you drank unsafe water then don't you need to drink like 2 liters of safe water as well as sleep 10 hours? diseases in this game will wreck you so it is usually better to avoid them. (always avoid unsafe water, you are better off losing 5% condition and boiling it than you are to get dysentery)

3rd: you need to recognize when you are in bad shape (parasites , cabin fever, dysentery, low condition, etc) and use your tea to gain more condition when you sleep
(i recommend only sleeping 10 hours). you had tea and enough water to make it so you should have done so to preserve condition. 

hope this helps.

55 minutes ago, Mortan1234 said:

1st: you were not fully hydrated when you slept. always drink as much as you can before sleeping. if you are completely saturated when you sleep then you will become thirsty and start loosing condition shortly after 10 hours of sleep. (you lost quite a bit of condition due to sleeping for too long and for not being hydrated)

2nd: if you drank unsafe water then don't you need to drink like 2 liters of safe water as well as sleep 10 hours? diseases in this game will wreck you so it is usually better to avoid them. (always avoid unsafe water, you are better off losing 5% condition and boiling it than you are to get dysentery)

3rd: you need to recognize when you are in bad shape (parasites , cabin fever, dysentery, low condition, etc) and use your tea to gain more condition when you sleep
(i recommend only sleeping 10 hours). you had tea and enough water to make it so you should have done so to preserve condition. 

hope this helps.

Very helpful, thanks! Good point about being hydrated. I probably didn't read the First Aid screen carefully. Like I said I drank the unsafe water accidentally and wasn't familiar I guess with the effects. Still the point stands it would be nice to see a message like "Challenge Failed -- You Died of _______ "

If you had Dysentery that is what killed you, the other things are symptoms.  With dysentery your thirst goes down quickly.  A normal night sleeping 10+ hours will leave you thirsty.  Dysentery makes your thirst deplete faster than even that.  You also must use Antibiotics or Reshi Tea to stop the condition drop.

59 minutes ago, grimreefer24601 said:

If you had Dysentery that is what killed you, the other things are symptoms.  With dysentery your thirst goes down quickly.  A normal night sleeping 10+ hours will leave you thirsty.  Dysentery makes your thirst deplete faster than even that.  You also must use Antibiotics or Reshi Tea to stop the condition drop.

Thanks, that helps even more... now it's making sense why I should have taken more careful measures before sleeping.

@SquanderBot, don't  beat yourself up too much on this. I think it's easy for us as players to get into an autopilot mode where you eat something and drink something, put down your bedding and then hit the rack.   In your situation you already had a conditioning depleting ailment, add to that what the other guys mentioned as far as not hydrating fully before you went to bed, nor taking an anabiotic or Rishi to help offset that condition drop. All in all, an easy mistake to make, but as with  many things in this game, simple mistakes can lead to death. I hope you have better luck on the next run my friend. 

As for the idea that you posed for having an explanation of the resulting death in the splash scene, I think it's a good idea, however it might not be  very easily done since the factors leading to the death could be somewhat complicated. Perhaps a better approach would be just to list what ailments were at play when you did die. 

My 2¢

Archived