More bears!

Shanklesbread

Throughout playing the long dark, I have loved what the game has become. It is very fun, and very realistic. However, there are some additions that I think would make the game even better.

For one, more bears. As of now, from what I see, there is only one species of bear, and that's the black bear from what I know. Since this game's setting is located in the Canadian Arctic, I think that at the very least, Polar bears and Grizzly bears should be added. (I don't know too terribly much about bears, but i'm going based off the region.) As well as the new bear models, each species of bear should have different behavior, and marginally different growling sounds just like they do in real life. (Meaning like how aggressive they are, depicting behavior toward the player, etc.) Each different bear should respond differently to the player trying to scare them off (yelling at them, standing your ground, etc) like they do in real life. 

For two, more bear countermeasures. Yes, i know they're adding more countermeasures in the final sandbox update (early may-late june from what i've read on the long dark website), and more in story mode, but i'm going off on what we have now and what we don't know (that they haven't said) as a future design plan. For one, and this ties in with the different species of bears, climbing trees. I know in real life that's a horrendous idea because most bears are great climbers, but that would be used as a last resort if they don't back off. The chance of you being killed by the bear by climbing up the tree depends on the species of the bear. (irl, black bears are great at climbing, grizzlies are not.)

That's all i can think of right now. What do you all think? Leave questions/comments below, and i'll answer as soon as I can!
Thanks for reading up on this, have a great day!

6 hours ago, shade_grey said:

I'm not sure what latitude the location of the long dark is in, but I think that, due to the fact that there are trees, it's safe to say that there are no polar bears that far south.

Good point. But grizzlies? Would they be there?

I think that having a greater species diversity among all types of animals naturally found in the Canadian wilderness is a good idea; its something the community has been ask for forever. My only thing with bears is that, the black bears we have now are way too big. I know they can get pretty large but a real black bear is quicker than a grizzly, climbs trees, and is pretty small in comparison. I would say the size of bear we have now is about what we should have for a grizzly or brown bear. One other thing though, black bears are more offensive when stumbling upon humans. A grizzly will hopefully leave you alone if you play dead, but a black bear won't settle for that. In black bear attacks you need to be on the defensive while remaining calm and unthreatening. If we are going to talk about countermeasures against bears (which I think is also a good idea because I hate not being able to do anything once attacked in the game), then they should be used with technical accuracy against the respective bear species.

Play dead against brown bear = good

Make yourself look big and back away from black bear = good. 

One more thing: I see a lot of people requesting polar bears. I don't think this is very likely because:

1- If polar bears are added perhaps things would be a little too divers amongst the ursa population

2- Polar bears are OP! They can stand up to be over 10 ft tall!

3- A polar bear's natural diet of seals and fish, along with the fact that a polar bear's natural habitat of frozen tundra and arctic region is opposed to that of the woodlands of TLD's world and abundance of deer and wild berries.

12 hours ago, NorseRaven99 said:

I think that having a greater species diversity among all types of animals naturally found in the Canadian wilderness is a good idea; its something the community has been ask for forever. My only thing with bears is that, the black bears we have now are way too big. I know they can get pretty large but a real black bear is quicker than a grizzly, climbs trees, and is pretty small in comparison. I would say the size of bear we have now is about what we should have for a grizzly or brown bear. One other thing though, black bears are more offensive when stumbling upon humans. A grizzly will hopefully leave you alone if you play dead, but a black bear won't settle for that. In black bear attacks you need to be on the defensive while remaining calm and unthreatening. If we are going to talk about countermeasures against bears (which I think is also a good idea because I hate not being able to do anything once attacked in the game), then they should be used with technical accuracy against the respective bear species.

Play dead against brown bear = good

Make yourself look big and back away from black bear = good. 

One more thing: I see a lot of people requesting polar bears. I don't think this is very likely because:

1- If polar bears are added perhaps things would be a little too divers amongst the ursa population

2- Polar bears are OP! They can stand up to be over 10 ft tall!

3- A polar bear's natural diet of seals and fish, along with the fact that a polar bear's natural habitat of frozen tundra and arctic region is opposed to that of the woodlands of TLD's world and abundance of deer and wild berries.

Good point. Maybe in future regions of the map, wayyyy far up north, there would be polar bears? High risk, high reward kind of thing? In all honesty the entire wildlife system needs more variety.. Thanks for commenting, haha

Archived