A possible multiplayer

Smileyattack

Okay so i know you probably have heard this a million times but I'm gonna ask again can we planes have some form of multiplayer in The Long Dark. My friend and I were talking and we both love The Long Dark and we honestly had a good descussion on why there should be some form of multiplayer. Our first reason is most gamers love some sort of multiplayer especially big youtubers. Now I know jacksepticeye had done a video about 2 years ago and that ranked in some more players. But I think about the amount of new player would increase  if there were some form of multiplayer maybe a co-op it doesn't even have to be free-Rome maybe just have the objective of climbing timberwolf mountain and having to share the food with the other player. My point is implementing multiplayer would definitely increase the amount of players that play your great game. Thanks for reading and have a good day :)

26 minutes ago, Smileyattack said:

maybe a co-op it doesn't even have to be free-Rome maybe just have the objective of climbing timberwolf mountain and having to share the food with the other player

Then what's the point? It would be bland and have no purpose; if you want to play multiplayer play it like story-mode, where you are in constant competition with the other NPCs. 

There are so many problems that come from the implementation of multiplayer; it would just be best to completely ignore its implementation all together. The problems come from hackers all the way to more updates being diverted to multiplayer away from other systems such as Sandbox and Story Mode and etc...

28 minutes ago, Smileyattack said:

My friend and I were talking and we both love The Long Dark and we honestly had a good descussion on why there should be some form of multiplayer. Our first reason is most gamers love some sort of multiplayer especially big youtubers. 

Personally, I hate whenever the 'big' youtubers play the game and do voice over. Every 5 seconds is them laughing at the stupidest of things, and the focus is all on their annoying personality instead of the actual game. I much prefer watching a smaller youtuber's playthrough without commentary; it's very peacefull and it makes me want to actually watch the game and pay attention to what he/she is doing.

{Mind you, Hinterland is a company which probably wants to focus solely on the product and it's profits, so they propably wouldn't care about how annoying PewDiePie is, at least if he plays the game and brings attention to it)

Simply put, multiplayer in TLD ain't gonna happen.

For ANY game, retrofitting multiplayer after the game is well into active development, is a HUGE task. Multiplayer games need to be built from the ground up with multiplay in mind. A great number of design decisions and choices are affected by it. This applies 10x over if the game involves time acceleration in any way, because such events need to be synchronised for all players. If players can start/stop acceleration on an individual basis, it becomes an absolute nightmare to implement.

TLD's devs will have far more important things to spend their time on, developing story mode through to its final conclusion. Bolting multiplayer onto the existing game would bring all other development to a standstill for at least 2 years. And what you'd end up with would be lacking many of the features that make TLD such a great game, because they just wouldn't work the same in multiplayer.

TLD 2.0, on the other hand.. that could very well be multiplayer, if the decision to make it so, is made right out of the gate.

Thanks for sharing your ideas, @Smileyattack. The Long Dark was always intended to be a single-player experience and we don't have any plans to add multiplayer. It doesn't quite fit with type of experience we are trying to build and yes, the technical challenges of trying to add multiplayer to the existing game would be pretty significant.

However we do understand a lot of players are interested in a multiplayer experience, and don't fault anyone for finding the idea compelling (it IS fun to imagine). We've seen quite a few requests for it, and it might be something we consider for a future game, but not this one. 

Archived