Stars navigation and few others

Wormer

Hey everyone! I've recently been watching some youtube TLD videos as this came to my mind.

1. Wasn't it cool if we could use a clean night sky for navigation? We don't have a compass due to the magnetic anomaly, but stars navigation will do the deal! Not everyone know maps by heart, so the feature would be of help for newer players. Just need to add several easily recognizeable constellations and stars. Then maybe some more artistic colors for stars would work too.

2. Then I thought that running could slightly affect our temperature condition to a small constant regeneration value (like 1/3 to 2/3 of a bar when running I would say).

3. Finally, I'm always laughing how the survivor rattle with his bones and stuff and the wildlife doesn't even notice. Probably some stealth bonus might be interesting for carrying less weight: less than 1/3 of maximum is the most stealthy, then from 1/3 to 2/3 is good stealth, from 2/3 to 1 is worse, and everything that is over 1 is very noisy. I just feel like I have not enough reasons to leave more stuff against taking everything with me. Then again, this will make fatigue indirectly affect stealth too.

4. In the other thread I was saying a idea about fire mechnics, my number 4 is about it. Will split it into three.

4.1 The tinder might have a different types and could affect the success rate and required time to make a fire (which adds up with type of the wood, skills and fire source). For instance birch barks may give the best bonus which will make them useful (could also act as an accelerator to an extent, 20-30% faster fire for instance). Even when at some skill level you may make fire without tinder, it could have a low chance of making a fire that way. Maybe the wind strength could also affect the chance of making a fire, so that even at the highest level there is stil a reason to keep a couple of birch barks with you.

4.2 I also suggest birch barks could be used as a normal wood to add temperature to the fire: plus 1 minute and plus 3 degrees will make them good consiering their light weight.

4.3. Wood quality (wetness). A newly aquired wood might have a little negative impact on the chance to start a fire and b slightly heavier. The wood could be dried indoors to increase it's quality, decrease weight, and add a bonus (time and success chance) for starting a fire. Ultimately the wood quality, tinder type, skills, weather conditions, type of the fire-raiser affect the chance and time to start a new fire. Not sure, but maybe it's interesting to experiment with adding the fatigue to the formula.

5. Bed comfort for better condition regeneration. So the idea is that some beds could have better comfort value than the others. It will modify the amount of condition regenerated while you sleep. Basic bedroll should probably have the worst value.

My only thing here is that I don't think the brick bark as fuel thing is very important, at least at the moment. Your time and degrees estimate look good, but you would need a s$@tload of birch bark to get even s halfway decent fire going, and it's a pain in the butt to have to pick that all up. It just doesnt seem like much of a priority right now.

The idea behind that is to give birch barks at least some use. Sometimes wood is too precious to spend or you need a relatively fast going fire with high temperature. Of course you can always use sticks to increase temperature too, but those are pretty heavy. I just got values off my head, but birch barks should be balanced to provide better temperature boost versus their volume than that of sticks. Also their use as an advanced tinder (if that is imjplemented) should to my mind make them appealing (worth to collect at least).

Also adding my suggestion number 5.

8 hours ago, Wormer said:

The idea behind that is to give birch barks at least some use.

As has been proposed in the past, it would be a far better use for birch bark, if it could be used to brew a medicinal tea, as a natural remedy for internal parasites.

1. Pls shop with that bullshit about compass not working. There is absolutely no basis for it.

2. It already does, but its an extremely rudimentary feature.

3. Ohh, wildlife do notice it. Is is just not interested in it. Making player center of the universe with every step that his making being of utmost interest to everything in the vicinity is rather horrible idea.

4. Yes, firemaking could use a lot of work.

5. Sleeping is already ridiculously easy way to regen one of most basic stats. They should cut it by 3/4 and then variability could be introduced. Making condition actually an important stat to manage.

Archived