Ability to drop backpack

T.V

When I go inside some places like the dam, I really hate that I need to have this gear with me. I would like to drop my backpack and walk without any slowness

Yes, I know that if I will drop the backpack I wouldn't be able to have much food, water etc. But I will still be able to have clothes. Also, things like bars and matches could be in pockets or something. Rifle and bow will be at our back, arrows will be in the quiver. 

When we don't have our backpack we could have something like 5kg limit ( except clothes ).

What do you think about it?

Also, I would like a special backpack model ( cos our backpack is for traveling, not for school and we should have a special model also for recognition.

14 minutes ago, T.V said:

When I go inside some places like the dam, I really hate that I need to have this gear with me. I would like to drop my backpack and walk without any slowness

Yes, I know that if I will drop the backpack I wouldn't be able to have much food, water etc. But I will still be able to have clothes. Also, things like bars and matches could be in pockets or something. Rifle and bow will be at our back, arrows will be in the quiver. 

When we don't have our backpack we could have something like 5kg limit ( except clothes ).

What do you think about it?

Also, I would like a special backpack model ( cos our backpack is for traveling, not for school and we should have a special model also for recognition.

The inventory system is supposed to be getting an overhaul with the next update. I'm quite interested in what's in store, and hopeful there'll be something along the lines of what you suggest. 

Always hated the fact that it takes me 2 minutes to climb up stairs in 2 story-homes, just because I cannot take my backpack off ...

2 hours ago, Pillock said:

The inventory system is supposed to be getting an overhaul with the next update. 

Are you sure ? I don't remember seeing that in the dev diary

Just now, EricTheGreat12 said:

Are you sure ? I don't remember seeing that in the dev diary

I'm probably reading too much into it. There's a UI overhaul, including within the inventory screens. And there's also some changes to functionality.

You're right, they'd probably have made a bigger deal of it in the dev diary if they were fundamentally overhauling how inventory management works. But I live in hope!

1 minute ago, Pillock said:

I'm probably reading too much into it. There's a UI overhaul, including within the inventory screens. And there's also some changes to functionality.

You're right, they'd probably have made a bigger deal of it in the dev diary if they were fundamentally overhauling how inventory management works. But I live in hope!

I thought it was just going to be a UI overhaul, like a complete re-doing of how the current system looks and feels like. Perhaps a few changes in terms of seperation of between certain types of material, but besides for that's the message I was getting from it.

Maybe it's me who hasn't read the dev diary thoroughly enough :D

Completely New UI. 
We’ve done a complete aesthetic overhaul of our UI & HUD, and added a lot of new functionality -- too much to list here. Every screen has been completely rebuilt. In some cases, as with the Radial for example, we’ve streamlined the usability (for example, you can now eat or drink directly from the Radial). We’ve improved the Pack, Clothing, and Status screens, and updated the HUD with a bunch of improvements. Really, there are 100s of improvements nested in this overhaul. 

That's what is says. I guess I was hoping that some of the improved functionality extended to separating clothing and backpack within the inventory system, but it's wishful thinking probably.

7 hours ago, Pillock said:

The inventory system is supposed to be getting an overhaul with the next update. I'm quite interested in what's in store, and hopeful there'll be something along the lines of what you suggest. 

It would be awesome if we could get an inventory system like in DayZ and Miscreated, where you can kind of store stuff in your pockets for example. So besides weight, items would have to fit into a slot.

Dropping the backpack isn't really necessary; you can simply drop everything in it and while not a one-click option, it exists.

Off-topic, but as for introducing inventory management, I think it would be a step toward unnecessary complexity. The weight limit is enough of a constraint without thinking about slots and oddly-shaped items like some mini-game of tetris. I appreciate the simplicity of the current system too much to want to have to stand around juggling items and slots.

13 hours ago, Carbon said:

Dropping the backpack isn't really necessary; you can simply drop everything in it and while not a one-click option, it exists.

Off-topic, but as for introducing inventory management, I think it would be a step toward unnecessary complexity. The weight limit is enough of a constraint without thinking about slots and oddly-shaped items like some mini-game of tetris. I appreciate the simplicity of the current system too much to want to have to stand around juggling items and slots.

I wish I could upvote your comment over and over :D

I loathe games that make you do "realistic" inventory management (glaring at you, Life is Feudal).  Honestly not impressed with games that make you spelunck through your inventory to equip your axe, then again to swap to your pick... over and over (The Wild Eight).  FIDDLY AS HECK.  Why is that fun?  And if it's not fun what is it doing in a game?

31 minutes ago, Ruruwawa said:

I wish I could upvote your comment over and over :D

I loathe games that make you do "realistic" inventory management (glaring at you, Life is Feudal).  Honestly not impressed with games that make you spelunck through your inventory to equip your axe, then again to swap to your pick... over and over (The Wild Eight).  FIDDLY AS HECK.  Why is that fun?  And if it's not fun what is it doing in a game?

yes, the shape base inventory system is annoying, as it's the click over and over again to "drop everything" "pick everything".

so I really like the idea of just drop you backpack and run, I am ok as long I can carry over something to light the fire and the only weapon equipped in  the moment (if equipped), beside of the cloth I already have on.
it can be useful against bears (the are know to check on dropped backpacks most of the time).
maybe your backpack can get messed up, but having the drop option is nice.

19 hours ago, Carbon said:

Agree up to a point. I think a limit on total volume (possibly depending on your clothes, plus a standard amount for your pack?) to add to the current weight-based system might improve it. You wouldn't have to fiddle about with item slots, but nor would you be able to carry absurdly large amounts of bulky stuff like firewood, as you can now.

Perhaps a good reason not to allow to players to drop their pack in one go is that it would require a graphical representation - and then players might start to question the realism of their tardis-like backpack that can hold 50-odd sticks, 6 fir logs, 15 bits of reclaimed wood, 10 cans of soup, 35 cattail stalks, several bottles of water, hatchet, prybar, spare cloth, medicines, etc. all at once?

The slots system is definetely an overcomplication. I myself was proposing a volume as a second restriction earlier, but now I think that this is way complex too.

On the other hand "Click over and over again" to put/get stuff ain't fun. An option to drop your backpack is really appealing. The question is how to implement this in non-disruptive way? I think the good solution is a button like "Always keep with me" to explicitly specify things (up to let's say 8kg) that won't be dropped with your backpack. Your colthes is always kept with you of course. When you're without a backpack 8kg is a limit for everything that's with you (besides clothes that you wear), but this limit doesn't affect the maximum weight limit that you can carry and that affects your speed of course.

10 hours ago, Pillock said:

Agree up to a point. I think a limit on total volume (possibly depending on your clothes, plus a standard amount for your pack?) to add to the current weight-based system might improve it. You wouldn't have to fiddle about with item slots, but nor would you be able to carry absurdly large amounts of bulky stuff like firewood, as you can now.

Perhaps a good reason not to allow to players to drop their pack in one go is that it would require a graphical representation - and then players might start to question the realism of their tardis-like backpack that can hold 50-odd sticks, 6 fir logs, 15 bits of reclaimed wood, 10 cans of soup, 35 cattail stalks, several bottles of water, hatchet, prybar, spare cloth, medicines, etc. all at once?

But can you imagine the amount of coding such an implementation would require not to mention the vast amounts of knowledge this would ask of the player? Calculating the volume of each and every item in the game implies needing the same knowledge for both user and developer and to what end? Complexity and frustration are the only results I might predict.

Finally, on the "drop the whole backpack" idea; under what circumstances would one really want to do this? I personally can't recall a situation where I didn't need something from my supplies at each and every moment, even when 'hunkered down' in a location. In this eventuality - where one only needs matches and some sticks, for example, how would these sundry items then be carried? Either pick up your backpack again or introduce yet more code and management (fiddling/messing about) with a pocket system. Further, how then would such a pocket system be managed? Volume? Weight? Number of items? On and on into the labyrinth.

Dunno folks, but this seems like a solution that needs a problem.

10 hours ago, Pillock said:

Ummm.. yeah. Graphical representation shouldnt be the main problem. Just the backpack and maybe only some items will be showing. Like hatchet, bedroll, water, logs, idk. I made a simply concept of how this could look.

sketch-1494910659696.png

9 hours ago, Carbon said:

But can you imagine the amount of coding such an implementation would require not to mention the vast amounts of knowledge this would ask of the player? Calculating the volume of each and every item in the game implies needing the same knowledge for both user and developer and to what end? Complexity and frustration are the only results I might predict.

Finally, on the "drop the whole backpack" idea; under what circumstances would one really want to do this? I personally can't recall a situation where I didn't need something from my supplies at each and every moment, even when 'hunkered down' in a location. In this eventuality - where one only needs matches and some sticks, for example, how would these sundry items then be carried? Either pick up your backpack again or introduce yet more code and management (fiddling/messing about) with a pocket system. Further, how then would such a pocket system be managed? Volume? Weight? Number of items? On and on into the labyrinth.

Dunno folks, but this seems like a solution that needs a problem.

I'm not sure I made myself terribly clear. The way I imagine a volume system, it wouldn't be complicated at all - it'd just be one additional factor to take into account.

I'm going to preface this by saying that I don't think it's a particularly pressing priority, and the current inventory weight system works OK as is for the most part, but I do think the addition of volume to it would be an improvement. Currently, every item has a weight value, and your inventory has certain parameters that are affected by the weight you're carrying. All I'm suggesting is that your inventory be given maximum volume value (in cc, perhaps), and each item it's own value, so that the total volume of the items you're carrying cannot exceed that maximum. There's nothing more to it than that.

I agree that a 'drop all items' button isn't much use as the game currently stands, and I haven't come across an occasion so far when I've wanted to do that. But, with the addition of inventory and item volumes, it would certainly come into play: you'd essentially be more restricted than you are now in how much you could carry, especially when it came to relatively bulkier-but-lighter things like sticks or reclaimed wood. Therefore, if you wanted to, say, go out on a firewood-collection trip, you'd have to seriously restrict what else you were carrying at the time in order to have room for the wood; or if you wanted to carry around lots of packaged food (as I often do in the early game), you wouldn't be able to carry much else. Basically, it would give you more decisions to make, more trade-offs. It would make the game a little bit harder, as well, but not in terms of the player having to difficult calculations - it'd just be one extra number to think about. 

Sure, I understand what you mean now, thanks for clarification, but it now seems simply like replacing one parameter with another. No harder to manage information-wise, but no easier.

In this sense, I'm not sure if volume would have as much meaning to the player as weight does; I can carry a horrendously large Styrofoam cube easily, if you know what I am getting at while weight seems to translate better as a limitation.

• 2 weeks later...

I like this idea, and have also thought of it in the past. If you're super tired and have 2 hours of light left and you need to quickly harvest some wood outside, it would be great to easily drop your entire load before going out. Or if you are purely exploring an area and want to be able to move quickly and not burn calories unnecessarily. But I guess then the game would have to keep separate track of what's in your hands. I could see that being added to the clothing page... add another box near the hand where you can place an item there. In the world, the pack could just have a generic appearance, like a bigger version of the green backpack, but act like any other container until you pick it up again.

Archived