Another wishlist

T.V

POLL ( please make it after reading the post )  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Okay, guys, I tagged it as a discussion cos I want to talk about those things ( should be added after 1.0 )

The First one, I mean:

Unlocking system

I mean everything. By experience mode, to regions! Some maybe wouldn't like it, I know, but here's why I'd like it: I. Like. Unlocking. Things.

Your first run will be at random experience mode, random region. Only you'll be able is the sex and name of the run. Why? Cos I think we shouldn't be able to know where we are abandoned and how wildlife is feeling today when we are in this situation at the first time. 

Here's the unlocking system for certain things:

Regions 

simply, by finding them and walking there for at least 3 days, having explored 15% terrain of the specific region ( + at least 5 locations ).

Experience modes:

Here we go silly a bit. I wasn't able to invent something more creative:

Pilgrim: 10 survived without wildlife attack from both sides  ( single game )

Voyageur: Find 15 corpses with crows at the sky and kill 5 wolves ( single game )

Stalker: Survive 10 wolf attacks and kill a bear ( single game )

Interloper ( kill at least one of every animal, survive wolf and a bear attack, survive 25 days and craft at least once animal clothing ( or bedroll) ) ( single game )

Of course, if you started a game in for example Mystery Lake on Voyageur you'll have those things unlocked.

You wouldn't be able to delete that save, you will need to die, but remember, you wouldn't get another chance to have this epic feeling again.

Second one: Unnamed Survivor

Whoa, what? What does it even mean?!

Don't worry pals. I want to say that after story mode release we shouldn't be able to make our own story of Will and Astrid. They have their own story. Someone made a post about character customization ( ya know, paper dolls and hands ). After choosing the sex, we had to make some customization for our character. 

Customization:

-body composition ( you wouldn't be able to make character fat, just skinny, "normal" and some roundness )

-Skin color ( just for persons who don't like being white when they're black or something )

-Face, glasses, nose, eyes, mouth etc.

-Hairs ( beards, hairs, eyebrows, and something for really manly guys: hairs on the cage! )

-Underwear color ( yes, cos of your lucky color )

-Name ( you'll spend 5 hours with this )

-Age ( not so important, just the face details )

-Right handed or Left handed ( I'm left handed and I feel so bad without having the option to use my left one, maybe just as a mirror )

-No voice for sandbox survivors ( oh come on we don't need this after making "us". Of course, we can just turn it off, but I think that this should be turned off automatically at Survivor Mode. 

I thought we could play as Will and Astrid after making a full story for each character.

The third one, the last frontier, the ahh... whatever

Ability to shift the furniture, even outside, maybe some barricades. It will take some time, but hey! Amazing feelings!

Now, let's start a discussion:

Someone: Hey man, your post sucks.

Me: Thanks for reading. Tell me why this post is great and the author is handsome/ why post sucks and why I'm handsome?

( here's where you start talking ) 

What do you think you'll find here?

On 5/13/2017 at 2:04 PM, T.V said:

Tell me why this post is great and the author is handsome

how would i know just how handsome you are if you dont have a profile picture?

edit: yay you have a profile pic now! so handsome. ;) 

On 5/13/2017 at 2:04 PM, T.V said:

( you'll spend 5 hours with this )

yeah in skyrim i spent several hours making my character who was going to be a vampire (came up with the great name: Luvon) only to go into the console and change just about everything (race, hair, scars/tattoos, eyes, everything)

I understand the basic ideas, and where you're coming from, but I don't think they would work too well for the game. For example, if someone just wants the game and is unable to purchase it for any reason, but later can, when he gets the game, no matter how experience he is from watching it, has to "graduate" to the higher difficulties? I think that this diminishes from the freedom in the game. For the idea about character customization, this would probably result in a bunch of dumb-looking Steam Workshop projects titled "the 1700 ton man" or "3 year old". Also, I believe that the general personalities of the characters is what the developers intended, and making different ones for different people that often don't fit well just would remove part of the game's immersion. I do like the third idea, as this would add to realism of the game, but as you said, would require work for all the different locations to drag things.

5 minutes ago, ThePenguinBusinessman said:

For the idea about character customization, this would probably result in a bunch of dumb-looking Steam Workshop projects titled "the 1700 ton man" or "3 year old"

I wouldn't like ability to post our characters on steam workshop. Just no.

on a more serious note, the idea of unlocking stalker and interloper would be a good idea. voyageur and/or pilgrim should be auto unlocked though.

pilgrim is meant to be used for exploration so if there is a goal to be met with pilgrim then it needs to be related to that.

voyageur is fairly balanced around the idea of things can kill you but you can kill them and fend them off (thus the idea of hunting wolves with bandages), if a goal is to be made in voyageur i would recommend it be hunting/wolf struggle related.

Stalker is where men and boys separate, wolves are more vicious and more abundant. hunting with bandages is not as good an idea and parasites reduce the benefit of hunting wolves. crafting would not be a bad goal, killing the bear would not be a bad goal but stalker is there to teach us that fighting wolves with a knife is harmful to our health so wolf struggles should not be our goal.

Interloper. Lets be honest this mode is made to kill us. no loot, no food, nearly instant kill wolf fights, and horrible weather constantly destroy us. i recommend that if a goal be made then it should simply be the survival of 10 days. most who survive that long will usually have either a bow or fishing gear for long term food and most also have crafted the knife and hatchet so it is easier from there.

5 minutes ago, Mortan1234 said:

on a more serious note, the idea of unlocking stalker and interloper would be a good idea. voyageur and/or pilgrim should be auto unlocked though.

I would find it rather irritating to be forced to play on lower difficulty levels in order to unlock the only difficulty levels I ever play on.

Just now, Timber Wolf said:

I would find it rather irritating to be forced to play on lower difficulty levels in order to unlock the only difficulty levels I ever play on.

as an experienced player yes. i myself will also probably not desire to play on difficulties other than stalker and interloper, but as a new player still trying to learn how the controls work, (trying to jump and then opening inventory for example) they need to be able to run around and learn the area before they are hit by a pack of wolves and then a blizzard and then a bear. perhaps others like jumping before they crawl and that is ok but i like the idea of teaching the player slowly in a manner that does not feel like a tutorial is one i prefer.

extra credits made a video on how portal taught us game mechanics and how to be better players for the end game without having a terribly sluggish tutorial and since The Long Dark is a very complex game it needs a tutorial that gives us the basic needed information and doesn't feel like we are being treated like children. i thought that unlocking difficulties by surviving and maybe completing certain tasks would be similarly quite effective.

for reference on the video i am speaking of look here:

1 hour ago, T.V said:

I wouldn't like ability to post our characters on steam workshop. Just no.

I hope not, but it may happen if the feature is added. It would also be unpleasant to spend a while finding a youtube video in which the guy doesn't make his character look stupid, thankfully people like Geltaz wouldn't do that.

You used to have to unlock regions by discovering them in the game, before you were allowed to start a new playthrough there (you had to start on Mystery Lake before you'd found others). I really liked that. I understand why they got rid of the feature during Early Access (they wanted players to test the new maps straight away after they were released), but it could make a return for the full release? Mystery Lake, being the easiest starting map, then effectively acts as a tutorial in itself.

They could even modify the Nomad Challenge to act as a tutorial: the new Cartography gameplay, maybe combined with some 'clues' (like the diary page you find at the Mountaineer's Hut) left lying about in the stop-off places, would make that quite interesting and give new players a decent idea of where things are and how things work.

I also think that the Wintermute maps ought to be locked out of Survivor Mode until you've finished the relevant chapter (or better than that there could be some way of disabling the random region selection mechanic from choosing those maps until you want to play them) so as not to spoil the story for you if you fancy doing a sandbox game before you've finished playing the story mode.

Having to unlock Interloper mode might be an interesting feature as well.

28 minutes ago, Ruruwawa said:

A little off topic but I'm really tired of these polls.  I don't believe they influence the developers any more than normal discussions.  And we're good at discussing.... a poll is just whacky structure we don't need.

the thing that a poll does that the discussions dont is that they show how much one thing is liked over another. for example this current thread shows that 1 person liked the 1st idea, 1 liked the second idea, 1 liked nothing, 2 liked everything, and 1 had a better idea, despite most of the comments are about the second idea (which again 1 person voted for)

for a second example this thread:

is currently 50/50 in results of the poll despite that in the comments it would seem that many dislike the new hud (most likely due to the same few speaking more often) 

with that said polls are quick and easy so if someone didnt want to comment, they could just click 2 buttons and their opinion is heard with equal weight as others opinion. aThis is really better because in a discussion or a poll everyone is trying to see what the community as a whole believes by taking a random sample of those who seen the post. 

tldr: polls give more equivalent power to those who dont want to write a comment in the discussion but are still a member of the community.

1 hour ago, Mortan1234 said:

tldr: polls give more equivalent power to those who dont want to write a comment in the discussion but are still a member of the community.

What power?  The last Hinterland sponsored poll (not a forum poll btw, but a different app),they made a huge deal of telling folks about on several forums because they regard the discussions on any single forum to not be representative of their entire customer base.  And ran it for weeks so the largest number of folks could reply.  That HUD poll, like all the other ones on the forums, won't influence Hinterland any more than a discussion.

This poll...   "Do you like my wishes?"   Is that really better as a poll?

1 minute ago, Ruruwawa said:

This poll...   "Do you like my wishes?"   Is that really better as a poll?

Well, it made me laugh, so I voted for "Everything is awesome!" even though I don't agree with all the suggestions.

I hope I haven't ruined the vital statistical analysis too much.

10 minutes ago, Pillock said:

I hope I haven't ruined the vital statistical analysis too much.

haha. even so we still wouldn't be able say with confidence until we have had more than 30 random voters (not that im going to run the stats). 

even so i like these polls it lets me choose the best of good choices and at very least i find them to be a fun way to interact and spark good conversation with other members. honestly i probably wouldn't instantly recognize @Docterrok's name if he didn't post so many interesting polls (like one of his more recent ones about implementing spears).

1. No. Due to lack of tutorial, for new players, learning game takes a while. With this idea, this duration would increase significantly, as they are constantly thrown into conditions they have no idea how to deal with. If it would be implemented, id call it horrible design choice, as it adds nothing of value to the game, but would alienate a lot of new players, as they have no centerpoint to start learning the game.

2. No. Because i see no good reason for it. I dont even like having hands in game at this point. Having whole body customization, purely cosmetic one, would be completely pointless imo. Especially considering that certain features, like being left-handed, would require a lot of work to implement.

3. Yes, to furniture moving, no to barricades. Wolves lack body mass to break thru normal doors, and no barricade will stop a bear if hes determined to crack this Kinder Surprise open.

41 minutes ago, Dirmagnos said:

1. No. Due to lack of tutorial, for new players, learning game takes a while. With this idea, this duration would increase significantly, as they are constantly thrown into conditions they have no idea how to deal with. If it would be implemented, id call it horrible design choice, as it adds nothing of value to the game, but would alienate a lot of new players, as they have no centerpoint to start learning the game.

2. No. Because i see no good reason for it. I dont even like having hands in game at this point. Having whole body customization, purely cosmetic one, would be completely pointless imo. Especially considering that certain features, like being left-handed, would require a lot of work to implement.

3. Yes, to furniture moving, no to barricades. Wolves lack body mass to break thru normal doors, and no barricade will stop a bear if hes determined to crack this Kinder Surprise open.

Hmmm... I think you're right. About the unlocking system, I was thinking about it and here's my mind: Maybe only location unlocking, because it will make future locations more secret. About experience mode, I think Interloper and maybe Stalker should be unlockable ones. Just for new players. If they will want to play on harder modes, they should show something.

"unnamed survivor' was jus a concept for future "multiplayer". Hinterland said that for now, they don't want to have more stuff to do, and I fully understand that, but in the future, they will probably work at it. And you know, 3 Wills or 4 Astrid will look stupid. This is only my idea for future. This could be nice I think to play as "us". 

By barricades, I wanted to make some comfortable place for meat. or for walls for the places like a cargo plane, you know, there's a lot of holes that makes the wind frustrating.

6 minutes ago, T.V said:

Hmmm... I think you're right. About the unlocking system, I was thinking about it and here's my mind: Maybe only location unlocking, because it will make future locations more secret. About experience mode, I think Interloper and maybe Stalker should be unlockable ones. Just for new players. If they will want to play on harder modes, they should show something.

"unnamed survivor' was jus a concept for future "multiplayer". Hinterland said that for now, they don't want to have more stuff to do, and I fully understand that, but in the future, they will probably work at it. And you know, 3 Wills or 4 Astrid will look stupid. This is only my idea for future. This could be nice I think to play as "us". 

By barricades, I wanted to make some comfortable place for meat. or for walls for the places like a cargo plane, you know, there's a lot of holes that makes the wind frustrating.

Multiplayer isn't on the cards, possibly not ever. So I don't think it's even necessary to think about character customization at all at this point.

I like your other ideas though. I've thought for a long time that degradable building condition would be an interesting feature: so that you'd have to use material, time and energy/calories to patch up holes in your base to maintain internal warmth in the long-term. Throwing up temporary windbreaks for fires out in the open might also be an interesting feature. But like @Dirmagnos said, barricading places to stop wildlife getting in isn't really viable, I don't think - you don't want to be able to fence off large areas as safe zones like you can in, say, The Forest, as that might well cause all manner of AI path-finding issues and unwanted exploits.

I like the idea of region unlocking, as I said before (and possibly unlocking of the higher difficulty levels as well), in order to add a bit of longevity to the game and more objectives to work towards, especially for newer players.

18 hours ago, T.V said:

Region unlocking was in the game at some point, but in a simplified manner - once player traveled in a this region it was unlocked to be selected as starting zone in next playthru. It was removed later and now player has access to all areas from getgo.

Multiplayer would require reworking of multiple critical features, so i dont think devs even consider it at this point.

Certain level of building maintenance could be an interesting feature. But it would normally take years for something like dam to require any maintenance.

Archived