They Said It Couldn't Be Done...But I Did It.

SnowWalker

I feel like people don't believe me when I tell this story but I swear on my hubby's life this is true. Not long after we got TwM, and I had explored all through there, I climbed all of the rope climbs leading up to the summit, including the last one, without any extra aid whatsoever. No coffee, no stims and no ledges. When I went up there I did not know that that was how we were supposed to do it. I didn't know that coffee would help with stamina while climbing. I didn't know about the ledges to stop and take a break, and I didn't even think of the stims at all. I wasn't used to using them yet. I didn't even notice the ledges, I just climbed. I got some help finding some of the routes to some climbs that I couldn't find but I didn't watch any further than I needed to and didn't watch anyone climbing.

Okay so anyway, the last one was hard. Took me three or four tries but I kept slipping and falling back down. Once I almost made it but started slipping and then fell. I thought I was dead but I wasn't. I was kind of mad and thinking, well how is this fair? lol. I was hurt so I had to stumble back to the last cave to rethink the whole thing. I almost didn't find it either because it was snowing pretty heavily. Patched myself up, ate and drank all I could and slept all night in there. The next day was gorgeous and I set back out for that last climb. With perfect condition and all bars except for what it took out of me to walk back there, I started climbing. But didn't make it and slipped back down. I wondered if I was going to be the only one who couldn't get up this thing. I made a fire, and since it was a beautiful day, I slept for a couple hours, ate some energy bars and drank and got all my bars full. Dropped my rifle, wood, food, a bunch of extra clothes, and whatever I didn't really need at the moment, and well, I made it. All the way up. It was touch and go at the top but I got over.

Then a blizzard started up so I just started walking straight. I didn't know where the plane was going to be or even, what it was, but thankfully it's pretty easy to find even in a storm. At first I couldn't get into any of the crates because I didn't bring the hacksaw, but I found one in there. Crawled under the plane and found the dead guy and then scrambled back out. So, it was a very good day, storm and all. I think I ended that game there since I had only wanted to see what was up there. But trust me, it can be done. I know it.

After I did it by myself I watched some play throughs of it to see if anyone else had the trouble I did, and that's when I found out about the ledges and the coffee and stims and I thought, well that would have been a lot easier, lmao. So I went up there quite a few more times in other games, the easy way, and of course for 'Hopeless Rescue'.

Yeah, it can be done if you're determined enough. The only reason I did it was because I didn't know I couldn't. Never say never, lol. I wouldn't ever try it again though. You don't need stims either as long as you stop and rest on a ledge.

This thread made me smile.  Well... I actually laughed a little while making this post, so it made me laugh also.  I've been bumbling around on my runs lately, and this thread gives me inspiration to keep bumbling.  My motto now is, I keep going until my survivor dies.  With that thinking I've managed to survive a bunch of single digit health only to go on... and die with more health because of stupid things.  lol  :wink and grin:

On 5/12/2017 at 11:01 PM, Mortan1234 said:

yeah i also went up the last rope without aid

I rarely use coffee to help climb the ropes and have never spent stim on a climb.  Instead I opt to drop a bedroll below the rope and sleep for an hour or two and then climb, while resting on a ledge on the way up.  

On ‎2017‎-‎05‎-‎14 at 2:23 PM, Timber Wolf said:

I rarely use coffee to help climb the ropes and have never spent stim on a climb.  Instead I opt to drop a bedroll below the rope and sleep for an hour or two and then climb, while resting on a ledge on the way up.  

Never needed Stims but I do normally use coffee since I like having stamina left when I get to the top of the rope ;) 

Also, coffee is your friend when you're doing the Hopeless Rescue challenge :D 

On 2017-05-16 at 2:02 PM, cekivi said:

Never needed Stims but I do normally use coffee since I like having stamina left when I get to the top of the rope ;) 

Also, coffee is your friend when you're doing the Hopeless Rescue challenge :D 

Yep, I bring coffee with me for sure now when I'm going to be climbing and sure did use it for HR too. Here's a question: Do the energy bars help at all? I had been saving and munchin' those too for climbing or for extra energy but I can't really see that they do anything at all.

5 hours ago, SnowWalker said:

Yep, I bring coffee with me for sure now when I'm going to be climbing and sure did use it for HR too. Here's a question: Do the energy bars help at all? I had been saving and munchin' those too for climbing or for extra energy but I can't really see that they do anything at all.

I think the energy bars are just a food item. Their benefit is they're a lot of calories for very little weight. 

6 hours ago, SnowWalker said:

Do the energy bars help at all? I had been saving and munchin' those too for climbing or for extra energy but I can't really see that they do anything at all.

They are a good psychological boost! ;-)

54 minutes ago, SteveP said:

They are a good psychological boost! ;-)

:D

1 hour ago, cekivi said:

I think the energy bars are just a food item. Their benefit is they're a lot of calories for very little weight. 

I thought so. It's weird, I've been eating those for ages thinking they help but didn't notice till the other day that my energy bar wasn't moving at all after eating a couple of 'em. Oh well, don't have to keep saving them for special anymore then :D

Archived