If bicycles are ever added...

Wow.. that's just... <shakes head>

9 hours ago, Mel Guille said:

I wonder if the rider in the front knew they were being chased?

I suspect not.. I've zoomed in and examined it frame by frame, and there's nothing in the rider's behaviour that suggests they were aware of the bear at all.

11 hours ago, Mel Guille said:

Yikes! I wonder if the rider in the front knew they were being chased?

At first he didn't, but the rider in the rear was shouting at him. This is probably what caused the bear to veer off. When the bear was at a good distance they stopped, got off their bikes, and got together forming a group to look bigger. It happened at a downhill bike trail in the Czech Republic where encounters like this are common, but rarely caught on video, so the cyclist know what to do when it happens.

Good to hear they know how to handle it..

52 minutes ago, shade_grey said:

the rider in the rear was shouting at him. This is probably what caused the bear to veer off.

Ahh.. when I saw the bear veer off, I was thinking, "I hope it's not taking a shortcut down to where the track loops back around!"

• 2 months later...
On 13. 5. 2017 at 6:59 AM, shade_grey said:

At first he didn't, but the rider in the rear was shouting at him. This is probably what caused the bear to veer off. When the bear was at a good distance they stopped, got off their bikes, and got together forming a group to look bigger. It happened at a downhill bike trail in the Czech Republic where encounters like this are common, but rarely caught on video, so the cyclist know what to do when it happens.

Bike trail where? I live close to Beskydy and we get bears here from Slovakia, but they are extremely rare. And I don't think the bear had any intent to harm the biker, from the vid it seems to just be running in the same direction. The bears around here (while still dangerous) are so used to tourists (tourists feed them with their snacks) he was probably just curious. If the bear was trying to catch him, I don't think the biker would have gotten away, bears can be very fast.

I go out hiking from time to time here in Beskydy and I have yet to see a bear around here, even from a distance. But they are around. Its one of my only concerns because I plan to bivauc by my lonesome next time I am going for a hike trip.

As a child in northern Ontario, Canada, I grew up on the edge of town at the edge of a huge, never ending forest. We did so many things bush related, even sledding way back in there in the winter. Spent nights up in the high hills in tents and sleeping bags. Swam in a freezing creek that was about two miles in. Never once did I ever see a bear or a wolf back in there and only once saw a moose and a couple foxes and porcupines. That doesn't mean they're not there though. Sledding at night, sometimes you could see the glow of curious eyes watching from the treeline and only the wind knows, what they were. Was creepy.

I have an uncle who breeds Malamute's in White River, Ontario which is further north. Now I've seen a lot of wild animals up that way though. Especially black bears at the garbage dump, and they just slowly move away to the trees and sit there and wait for you to leave when you bring garbage to dump. I also lived in Banff, Alberta for awhile and I saw tons of wildlife there too, and have a lot of stories.

That is not the point. Point is that bears don't actually live in the Czech Republic. They are not native species anymore, they were wiped out in 18th century - the only bears that can really be seen in the Czech Republic are on certain border mountains, animals which pass over from neighbouring countries. Like in Beskydy which is where I occasionally go for hike trips (also in Slovakian Karpats which is a bit to the south from Beskydy). Those are brown bears which migrate from Slovakia, because in Slovakia there is a small but still noticeable amount of brown bears living in the woods of Tatry mountains. We get one or two occasional visitors but that's it.
Reference: http://www.carnivores.cz/brown-bear/

So that is why I was a bit awestruck someone said there was a common sight of bears somewhere in the Czech Republic, I would understand Slovakian Tatry, but in CZ there are close to no bears to see. They are so rare around here that there was no recorded bear attack in the Czech Republic since they got wiped out. And like I said, the few we get are so used to tourists because tourists feed them that this vid makes me think the bear was more interested in the rider´s snack than the rider himself.

19 hours ago, Pablo the Argentinian said:

And that's why you should wear a helmet instead of headphones and not listen to music when you ski/board. :D

(heh, I listen to music as well, but only with one ear piece and on low volume so I can also hear my surroundings). And only if there are not many people skiing around.

1 hour ago, Mroz4k said:

And that's why you should wear a helmet instead of headphones and not listen to music when you ski/board.

hehe im from a warm climate region and never ski myself but i understand what you say.because one time riding my bicicle i didnt heard a dog crossing my path because i was using headphones...and run over him ..man that felt so bad..even though the doggy was fine after all (i was worst than him  because of the fall the crash  caused) man never again used headphones while riding my bicicle because even if you dont see them coming you can heard the surroundings

2 hours ago, Pablo the Argentinian said:

hehe im from a warm climate region and never ski myself but i understand what you say.because one time riding my bicicle i didnt heard a dog crossing my path because i was using headphones...and run over him ..man that felt so bad..even though the doggy was fine after all (i was worst than him  because of the fall the crash  caused) man never again used headphones while riding my bicicle because even if you dont see them coming you can heard the surroundings

Nothing wrong with listening to music, but one needs to be smart about it - a single earpiece on a low setting is enough to enjoy the music but still be aware of surroundings :D

Archived