Efficiency of hacksaw vs. hatchet

Warsaw

I was looking up this discussion due to wanting to do the math on hacksaw vs. hatchet with a higher amount of days in Interloper (currently at 145).  Eventually you're going to run low/out of whetstones and you'll have to make a decision to either conserve your hatchet(s) or utilize the hacksaw more often.  

Then it got me thinking (disregarding the amount of time it takes to cut down fir or cedar limbs) how efficient would it be in regards to scrap metal.  So a hacksaw uses 5% durability each time it cuts a limb, a hatchet uses 3% durability.  It costs 1 scrap metal to repair a hacksaw for 25% condition, basically then we can saw it takes 4 scrap metal to make a hacksaw 100% condition.   So those 4 scrap metal with the hacksaw gets us 20 uses before it goes to 0%.  20 uses being the equivalent of 60 limbs.

Now when we look at the hatchet it uses 3 durability each time, so basically each hatchet will get 34 uses (rounding up).  Again it takes 5 scrap metal and 1 cloth to make the hatchet + the trip to Desolation or Forlorn.  

Therefore with 1 extra scrap to make the hatchet vs. repairing the hacksaw we get another 14 uses or 42 limbs.  If the amount of scrap used for each item was equivalent for repairs vs. making the item with 5 scrap metals it would be the hacksaw with 25 times to use and the hatchet with 34.

You might be asking as to the reason you might want to know the information.  Well, I'm not sure at what point but once I run out of whetstones and have to just use scrap metal I'll want to make do the method that is more effiicent.  Plus in the end I'm glad that besides being more efficient it also is the quickest to cut the limbs.  <3 my hatchet.

P.S. This has probably already come up in the forum prior but I didn't happen to see anything on google search or in the forum search.  Figured I'd share when I was looking into it for my own sake.

Archived