General Suggestions

Overall, I think the list of future updates is quite thorough and the small changes will add up to make the already immersive game more so. However, I have a few suggestions that I didn't see there for the team.

First, I think finding pinecones on the ground that could be harvested into pine nuts (and tinder maybe?) which could be further refined to pine nut oil for cooking, which could be implemented in a cooking update with first person presence and not having to constantly tend to your cooking.

Another item that could be useful would be broken glass found near burned out houses, which would make sense to find because the furor caused by an apocalyptic event and a house starting on fire could cause people to bust through a window. This could be used to improvise low-quality arrowheads as opposed to having to forge them, but maybe they break 2/3 of the time when used and are also rare so that the need for a forge is still there.

Finally, while I do not want an update that makes food diversity a requirement for the player, seeing some in-game would be nice. A few suggestions - canned green beans or corn, black beans, hot cocoa mix, and for a cooking element, it might be good to add some spices into the game, which while slightly useless, might be used in cooking for a better sleep or something. (I would appreciate some elaboration on that idea) Maybe also general baking goods like flour, sugar, and eggs which you could use to make baked goods, but only in a pot belly stove or oven.

I would appreciate if you add some thoughts to this and if a Hinterland staff would have a look, that would be nice. Thanks!

Do you have any idea how many pinecones player would have to collect ?

Spices rarely add anything aside of flavor to foods, in fact they usually have mild negative impact on digestive system.

@JAFO Rly ? So spears would bring nothing interesting to the game, but glass arrows would ? Even tho former would add something new, while latter would be merely an alternative to currently already existing feature and work in exactly same fashion.

15 hours ago, Dirmagnos said:

So spears would bring nothing interesting to the game, but glass arrows would ? Even tho former would add something new, while latter would be merely an alternative to currently already existing feature and work in exactly same fashion.

New for the sake of new is often not a good thing.. (and you've seen my reasons for not wanting spears - so please don't try to make that issue about whether or not it would be "interesting"), and I think glass arrowheads might fill a useful gap until such time as the player can forge proper arrowheads. (But if they were implemented, I'd like to see them break after one use, every time. Not just 2/3 of the time, per the OP.)

I agree about how they should break every time, as we know from how those "70%" starting chance fires often fail three times in a row, these glass arrowheads could become immortal by chance. Also, to Dirmagnos, I am aware of how many pinecones a player would need, but a sizing code could be implemented. Also, after some 100 days of gameplay, every bit of calories does count, like with keeping every bit of venison you can find even with just a fifteen calorie leftover. However, with the spices, I agree as I probably was really stretching for a use there. Maybe they still could be found, but they are just totally useless just to taunt the player. I hadn't thought about spears for some reason, they would be great items to craft as well, but it would require some work to make sure they didn't become piles of glitches. Thanks for the welcome and support JAFO :)

On 5/11/2017 at 6:17 PM, ThePenguinBusinessman said:

Another item that could be useful would be broken glass found near burned out houses, which would make sense to find because the furor caused by an apocalyptic event and a house starting on fire could cause people to bust through a window. This could be used to improvise low-quality arrowheads as opposed to having to forge them, but maybe they break 2/3 of the time when used and are also rare so that the need for a forge is still there.

I would appreciate if you add some thoughts to this and if a Hinterland staff would have a look, that would be nice. Thanks!

Are you fully cognizant of just how difficult it is to knapp stone (and by proxy, glass)?

Even if all you were doing was attaching a shard of glass to the arrowshaft ...... why go through the effort when there is an almost effectively-infinite amount of sheet/scrap metal to make arrowheads from?

There is no "need" for the forge. The forge was, to be blunt, a stupid mechanic 100% entirely removed from reality. Instead, arrows could/should be made from scrap metal, a hammer and a hacksaw, using the vice on the crafting tables.

That is how I make my arrows in real life, sans the cutting wheel and grinding wheel.

I understand what you're saying with the difficulty of making a good arrowhead with glass, but I was thinking more of the second variety of the arrow with just a broken shard. The metal arrows do make sense, and could retain some of the low quality debuffs, but they would ultimately be more powerful than the glass ones, causing them to be more overpowered. Obviously, as we know from The Long Dark, there is a lot of currently unusable metal that could be made usable in this fashion, making these arrows common. While I agree that the forge is just a mechanic that really isn't realistic considering your survivor is likely inexperienced with such techniques, it does add a level of difficulty to the game on interloper even for the most experienced. If Interloper was "alright, here's your weapon within about three days, now go get a bunch of meat, live for a few years in-game, and then die of lack of respawning animals," it would totally lose its replayability in sandbox. I appreciate the suggestions though. Thanks!

5 hours ago, ThePenguinBusinessman said:

I understand what you're saying with the difficulty of making a good arrowhead with glass, but I was thinking more of the second variety of the arrow with just a broken shard. The metal arrows do make sense, and could retain some of the low quality debuffs, but they would ultimately be more powerful than the glass ones, causing them to be more overpowered. Obviously, as we know from The Long Dark, there is a lot of currently unusable metal that could be made usable in this fashion, making these arrows common. While I agree that the forge is just a mechanic that really isn't realistic considering your survivor is likely inexperienced with such techniques, it does add a level of difficulty to the game on interloper even for the most experienced. If Interloper was "alright, here's your weapon within about three days, now go get a bunch of meat, live for a few years in-game, and then die of lack of respawning animals," it would totally lose its replayability in sandbox. I appreciate the suggestions though. Thanks!

Yes, but why bother with any sort of knapping when you can just sharpen the end of your arrow shaft and harden it in a fire? It would by far be the most primitive arrow and, if history is any guide, it would still be effective. If we were to have two arrow types that would be my preference. 

As well as being able to make arrow heads on the workbench again of course! :P

On 5/13/2017 at 5:05 AM, JAFO said:

New for the sake of new is often not a good thing.. (and you've seen my reasons for not wanting spears - so please don't try to make that issue about whether or not it would be "interesting"), and I think glass arrowheads might fill a useful gap until such time as the player can forge proper arrowheads. (But if they were implemented, I'd like to see them break after one use, every time. Not just 2/3 of the time, per the OP.)

So, essentially you have no reasons, but its more of "i just like this one". As spear idea fits quite well within your own argumentation.

13 hours ago, ThePenguinBusinessman said:

I agree about how they should break every time, as we know from how those "70%" starting chance fires often fail three times in a row, these glass arrowheads could become immortal by chance.

Considering that with 70% chance of breaking after each hit, even after 3 hits, chances of arrow to stay intact is statistically insignificant(0.027%). That talk about them becoming unbreakable is simply absurd, chance or no chance.

Also, to Dirmagnos, I am aware of how many pinecones a player would need, but a sizing code could be implemented. Also, after some 100 days of gameplay, every bit of calories does count, like with keeping every bit of venison you can find even with just a fifteen calorie leftover. However, with the spices, I agree as I probably was really stretching for a use there. Maybe they still could be found, but they are just totally useless just to taunt the player. I hadn't thought about spears for some reason, they would be great items to craft as well, but it would require some work to make sure they didn't become piles of glitches. Thanks for the welcome and support JAFO

As one man said "new for the sake of new is often not a good thing". Sizing code ?

Generally speaking youd spend far more calories collecting and processing those pinecones that youl get nutrients out of them in the end. It would be purely item of luxury.

14 hours ago, ThePenguinBusinessman said:

I understand what you're saying with the difficulty of making a good arrowhead with glass, but I was thinking more of the second variety of the arrow with just a broken shard.

The way i see it, glass arrows could have several features that common arrows dont have. First, id like to have whole bleeding out mechanics redone, as it is  rather off right now, resulting in animals bleeding out always(as far as it know), with exception of bears. Basically, each animal would have randomly assigned duration of bleed out, with modifiers for difficulty. Like decrease that duration by certain amount for each next level of difficulty, increasing chance for animal to survive. So, wed have arrow basic damage plus bleed out damage - if those combined exceed animal health, it dies, but if bleeding stops earlier, then animal survives.

So, conventional arrows would deal average damage, with average bleed out duration. With modifiers. And each arrow would have multiple uses, that could be further modified by skills. Glass arrows, on the other hand would have low base damage, but longer bleed out duration. And if tip breaks, then it would have 50% chance to cause extensive bleeding, with considerably higher bleed damage and duration, resulting in guaranteed animal death. And each arrow would have between 10% and 90% chance of chattering, depending on circumstances(if player misses and it hits hard surface, like ice or cliff or building wall,  then its almost guaranteed loss of arrow tip; but if its a clean hit, no bones involved, then it could go on without a problem).

I like the other ideas. Pinecones is a really nice one. Those could be used as both tinder and regular fuel for a fire, but would add really small amount of time when used as fuel (10-30s, depends on the amount that could be collected too). Birch barks are pretty useless because you can just use a stick to make a tinder - I wish birch barks could also be used as a regular fuel that has relatively high bonus heat to time buff ratio. Then there could also be an effect of tinder to the chance and time required to start a fire. Birch barks provide the best quality and time, then pinecones and the worst is the tinder from sticks.

The wood may also have a quality which is how much water it contains. Better quality wood could have a better chance to start a fire. The wood could be stored and dried indoors to increase it's quality.

As to spices, those could be used for food disinfection to reduce the chance of getting a food poisoning and also for food preservation.

On 5/14/2017 at 5:31 AM, Dirmagnos said:

The way i see it, glass arrows could have several features that common arrows dont have. First, id like to have whole bleeding out mechanics redone, as it is  rather off right now, resulting in animals bleeding out always(as far as it know), with exception of bears. Basically, each animal would have randomly assigned duration of bleed out, with modifiers for difficulty. Like decrease that duration by certain amount for each next level of difficulty, increasing chance for animal to survive. So, wed have arrow basic damage plus bleed out damage - if those combined exceed animal health, it dies, but if bleeding stops earlier, then animal survives.

So, conventional arrows would deal average damage, with average bleed out duration. With modifiers. And each arrow would have multiple uses, that could be further modified by skills. Glass arrows, on the other hand would have low base damage, but longer bleed out duration. And if tip breaks, then it would have 50% chance to cause extensive bleeding, with considerably higher bleed damage and duration, resulting in guaranteed animal death. And each arrow would have between 10% and 90% chance of chattering, depending on circumstances(if player misses and it hits hard surface, like ice or cliff or building wall,  then its almost guaranteed loss of arrow tip; but if its a clean hit, no bones involved, then it could go on without a problem).

Thanks for your ideas on bleeding, I hadn't thought about some of the advantages and disadvantages of using different types of arrows. I think a better and more realistic hunting system in the game would make it much better.

On 5/15/2017 at 4:53 PM, Wormer said:

I like the other ideas. Pinecones is a really nice one. Those could be used as both tinder and regular fuel for a fire, but would add really small amount of time when used as fuel (10-30s, depends on the amount that could be collected too). Birch barks are pretty useless because you can just use a stick to make a tinder - I wish birch barks could also be used as a regular fuel that has relatively high bonus heat to time buff ratio. Then there could also be an effect of tinder to the chance and time required to start a fire. Birch barks provide the best quality and time, then pinecones and the worst is the tinder from sticks.

The wood may also have a quality which is how much water it contains. Better quality wood could have a better chance to start a fire. The wood could be stored and dried indoors to increase it's quality.

As to spices, those could be used for food disinfection to reduce the chance of getting a food poisoning and also for food preservation.

I'm glad that you think the pinecones are a good idea, I think your elaboration makes a lot of sense. What you said about the birch bark being useless because of sticks makes a lot of sense too, I'd love to see a different use like in crafting or mapmaking in the new faithful cartographer update. I'm also glad you found a use for the spices, I was kind of wondering how they might be useful.

Archived