Spears In The Game (POLL)

Docterrok

Spears  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 5/11/2017 at 8:51 PM, JAFO said:

@selfless and @Ohbal convinced me.. spears would bring bring nothing challenging/interesting to the game, other than making self defense easier. So I vote 'no'.

Not in its current state, maybe, but once they're added, it opens the door for new possibilities.

Consider a wolf's intelligence. They're cunning animals, and if one really wanted you dead - as they seem to in the game - it would not be a difficult task for one to accomplish, much less a full pack.
With a spear, however, the game changes; they can't just lunge directly at you, or else risk being impaled. They'd have to flank you, distract you, or strike while you're weak. These are behaviours that - I would argue - would make the game more compelling. But, as it stands, they would make the wolves more or less 100% lethal.

If you had a spear, it would no longer be a case of brandishing whatever fire source you have while running away; you'd have a real confrontation to work through, with real decisions to be made. Whether, for example, to use your spear or torch. A torch would be more intimidating to the wolves, but it provides no real defense. A spear, however, would.

Now, of course, these changes wouldn't be to everyone's taste, and I'm not even necessarily saying they should be in the game. I am, however, saying that they could most certainly bring something challenging or interesting to the game.

46 minutes ago, strigon said:

Not in its current state, maybe, but once they're added, it opens the door for new possibilities.

Consider a wolf's intelligence. They're cunning animals, and if one really wanted you dead - as they seem to in the game - it would not be a difficult task for one to accomplish, much less a full pack.
With a spear, however, the game changes; they can't just lunge directly at you, or else risk being impaled. They'd have to flank you, distract you, or strike while you're weak. These are behaviours that - I would argue - would make the game more compelling. But, as it stands, they would make the wolves more or less 100% lethal.

If you had a spear, it would no longer be a case of brandishing whatever fire source you have while running away; you'd have a real confrontation to work through, with real decisions to be made. Whether, for example, to use your spear or torch. A torch would be more intimidating to the wolves, but it provides no real defense. A spear, however, would.

Now, of course, these changes wouldn't be to everyone's taste, and I'm not even necessarily saying they should be in the game. I am, however, saying that they could most certainly bring something challenging or interesting to the game.

If we actually saw improvements to the wolf AI beyond see-and-chase, sure.

Archived