Where do you call home in the long dark?

Tbone555

It's Pleasant Valley farmhouse for me, all the way, with Jack Rabbit Island coming a close second. I play Voyageur. I'm not sure if it's just because Pleasant Valley was my first 100+ day run, but I really connected to that location. It began to feel like a real home away from home. I loved going out on to the porch with a cup of joe in the morning and watching the sun rise. I almost didn't mind the blizzards too much, the valley was so beautiful.

Jack Rabbit Island is pretty great too, and a good vantage point to look out across the road and bay for signs of rescue. I could never warm to Quonset, the wolves unnerved me too much, and I've only managed ten days in the Mountaineer's Cabin before dying on Timberwolf. The Trapper's Cabin is pretty great, but almost too well fitted out. It feels more like a survival pod than a home. Then there's Mystery Lake's Canadian flagged lakeside cabin. That's my third favourite, although I always feel a little nervous emerging from it.

The dam is too scary. The lighthouse too cold. Nope, Pleasant Valley farmhouse for me, all the way.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah probably Mountaineer's Hut for me as well. I think it's because there's no loading screen between it and the outside, and no 'base' temperature makes it feel more immersive (as opposed to a place where it doesn't matter that it's -51oC outside, it's always gonna be nice and warm indoors for no obvious reason!)

I prefer little locations that most people overlook. Stone Church for example is one of my favorites...plenty of rabbits, mushrooms, firewood, etc.

I also like Poacher's camp at Forlorn Muskeg too. You can climb the trees and get on top of the rail cars easily and hunt the bears.

It depends on what mode and map I'm playing on, or what I feel like when starting a new run.

Quincy's Quonset is probably my all time favourite but I like to mix it up a bit now and then for variety. It's a handy base with almsot everything you need in close proximity: indoor workbench and fireplace; fishing huts, deer and wolves on the ice; woods for foraging firewood.

Camp Office is good too, with all the benefits of QQ plus rabbits nearby. Trapper's Homestead is nice, but I find it a bit too remote. If it had a crafting station I'd live there.

Mountaineer's Hut is a really cool place. Wish we could repair it, would be fun and rewarding. I'm not good enough to survive there though.

2 hours ago, Rock My Socks said:

Mountaineer's Hut is a really cool place. Wish we could repair it, would be fun and rewarding. I'm not good enough to survive there though.

Once you get your wolf/bear coats etc, you can stay in there without a fire. I agree, all I want to do is insulate it with hides, and CLOSE THE WINDOW! :P 

Home for me are those locations which have everything I really need... a bed, warmth, fireplace/barrel, crafting table, a door that closes...... I'm fine staying in caves, outdoors etc on runs and long trips, but when I get "home" I feel home and it feels good.

The lighthouse (even without a crafting table), mountaineer hut (even without insulation), Camp Office, Quonset Garage, and the Farmhouse. I don't have a "home" in forlorn muskeg- I go there on supply/resource trips, and for the welding.  I'm always so happy to get "home" to the camp office with all my loot.

The coastal house with the big veranda that overlooks the bay. The one in the town, not the Waterfront Cottages one. I love that house so much that I'll sometimes restart a new game over and over again until the house finally spawns and is not derelict 9_9

On 2017-05-11 at 3:55 PM, Pillock said:

Is not that far away - less than 1 game-hour. And the morning walk does you good! 

Even if you're  cold when you arrive, you can warm up again by the hut's stove while you do a spot of fishing. The surrounding woods are full of rabbits and firewood, and you even get a deer showing up on the pond every few days. And there are never any wolves or bears, ever.

Really? Wolves and bears don't show up at Pensive Pond, ever? Hmmm, could be a good little spot for a snow shelter too.

On 2017-05-12 at 0:00 AM, cekivi said:

Mountaneer's hut if only I could fix that roof ;)

Really I'm a nomad so I'll wander between the homestead, farm house, camp office, hut, and Quonset. I generally avoid Desolation Point since it's a dead end. 

I'm the exact same way. I usually have a well stocked place in every region. I like living at the dam in ML though.

1 hour ago, Timber Wolf said:

I don't think this mine has coal any more.  I think it stopped spawning there a couple of updates ago. 

I think I found one lonely coal in there one time, over by that one flare, but that's it, and I do search it with a lantern cekivi. I think I saw a letsplayer find some in there once so I thought 'oh good, there's going to be coal in there now' so the next time I went through there I looked high and low, but nothing. 

On 5/11/2017 at 2:55 PM, Pillock said:

But having said all that, I still feel most at home in the Camp Office. Probably always will.

i too feel at home with a dead guy leaning against the wall near me.

oh is that not what you meant? nvm.

4 hours ago, Mortan1234 said:

i too feel at home with a dead guy leaning against the wall near me.

oh is that not what you meant? nvm.

the dead guy... I use him for extra storage...

But strangely enough, i've come to the conclusion, that when the dead guy does not spawn at Camp Office, then the hunter's cache spawns right up there on the ridge on the other side of the tracks.  

Archived