Are stated times 100% accurate

LucidFugue

I know there have been discussions about having precise measures available to the player (ex. When we used to have an exact time of day in the tab menu) but I was wondering if quoted time estimates are accurate or have a fudge factor. 

I've noted that sleeping with a fire going, you have varying amounts of fire time remaining when waking up. Someone on the steam forums claimed variance in water boiling/snow melting times. 

I know I've naturally shied away from relying on timers to the minute, but does anyone know the details about how this all works? 

There was a glitch/feature a while back that fires would increase in duration if the ambient temperature increased while they were lit. Sort of the reverse of having the wind blow them out if the weather got worse. To the best of my knowledge this is still in the game. I've personally never noticed any variance with boiling water. 

As @cekivi said, fire life can be variable and the clock on it is therefore inaccurate.  Cooking times do get shorter as your skill goes up, but remain consistent.

Sleeping has a "snooze" function: actual time slept will vary from exact time up to an extra ten minutes.  But also, if you are fully rested you will quit out early, so...

Estimates of what time it is (about 4 hours of daylight) are spot on; changing exactly on the top of the hour.  But still, the only true clock is Survival Time.

Archived