The blind armed man

Frozen guy

In the recent trailer (very good by the way) there was an blind man sitting in a chair. Who is he ?

My  theroy  : He could be the draft dodger, an man traumatised by WW2 and suffered from a blast that blind him forever. He refused the military service and run on Great bear Island, in his cabin in PV.

What do you think ?

I felt like he was in the rocking chair in the pleasent valley farmstead, but I dunno if that map will be incorperated in the story mode. 

I feel like he gets help from someone, or a community. 

Hes is probably least affected by the long dark actually... since he already sees darkness and gets help.

In many video games and culture, a blind man is used to represent one that has no sight yet is capable of using his other senses in order to have absolute precision. My guess is that this man is an enemy you have to bypass, but heck how would I know....

Now that I think of it, have any of you seen that movie where 3 teenagers decide to rob a blind man's house, but the man has acute senses that let's him sense anyone based on the sound of their breathing, so he uses that to kill the teenagers ? It's a great horror movie :)

On 5/7/2017 at 8:44 AM, EricTheGreat12 said:

In many video games and culture, a blind man is used to represent one that has no sight yet is capable of using his other senses in order to have absolute precision. My guess is that this man is an enemy you have to bypass, but heck how would I know....

Now that I think of it, have any of you seen that movie where 3 teenagers decide to rob a blind man's house, but the man has acute senses that let's him sense anyone based on the sound of their breathing, so he uses that to kill the teenagers ? It's a great horror movie :)

Maybe you need to break into his house to find supplies. Or he'll be that typical old wise guy who gives you advice on how to survive. Maybe, knowing his times are coming to an end, he gives you his rifle. And that's how Will gets his rifle.

3 hours ago, EricTheGreat12 said:

That looks more like it!

Apparently, back in the olden days of the age of sail, salty old sea captains would wear eye patches not because of any previous injury, but in order to permanently accustom the covered eye to darkness: that way, they could use one eye in daylight as normal, and the other one for night time so that they could navigate better in darkness. I don't know if that's true, really, and I can't even remember now where I heard it - but it sounds plausible to me. It could be what the guy here is doing: sit in a chair with a gun during daylight with his eyepatches on, so that he can deal with the dangers of night more easily with his super-adjusted eyes?

22 hours ago, Fuarian said:

Maybe you need to break into his house to find supplies. Or he'll be that typical old wise guy who gives you advice on how to survive. Maybe, knowing his times are coming to an end, he gives you his rifle. And that's how Will gets his rifle.

He needs no friggin rifle...

15 hours ago, Pillock said:

It could be what the guy here is doing: sit in a chair with a gun during daylight with his eyepatches on, so that he can deal with the dangers of night more easily with his super-adjusted eyes?

Wouldnt that make his eyes hypersensitive to light ? Plus, it would take a while to adjust, so he had to start preparing for it long before Event, for no apparent reason.

On 5/6/2017 at 0:41 PM, Frozen guy said:

In the recent trailer (very good by the way) there was an blind man sitting in a chair. Who is he ?

My  theroy  : He could be the draft dodger, an man traumatised by WW2 and suffered from a blast that blind him forever. He refused the military service and run on Great bear Island, in his cabin in PV.

What do you think ?

If he was a vet from world war two, he would be very old since we know this game takes place sometime after 2019

My two cents -

An old hunter and farmer, blinded by a bear attack. he sits alone in his rocking chair, rifle across his lap in the pv farmstead, defending his land tooth and nail despite his injury. he lost his sons and wife to the quiet apocalypse (the baby room and extra two rooms) and there he sits, only to be stumbled upon by Will in his search for Astrid. no doubt, when he hears Will come through his front door, he's gonna open fire in the general direction of wills footsteps, shouting in a "you kids get off my lawn!" fashion, to which you'll have to sneak up, disarm him and reason with him, befriending him and gaining the surprising assets he may provide, or rob him blind, (pun intended) leaving him to certain death. Poor guy probably wont make it long anyway, in his condition... right?

Am I close? :P

On 5/9/2017 at 6:44 PM, Tbone555 said:

My two cents -

An old hunter and farmer, blinded by a bear attack. he sits alone in his rocking chair, rifle across his lap in the pv farmstead, defending his land tooth and nail despite his injury. he lost his sons and wife to the quiet apocalypse (the baby room and extra two rooms) and there he sits, only to be stumbled upon by Will in his search for Astrid. no doubt, when he hears Will come through his front door, he's gonna open fire in the general direction of wills footsteps, shouting in a "you kids get off my lawn!" fashion, to which you'll have to sneak up, disarm him and reason with him, befriending him and gaining the surprising assets he may provide, or rob him blind, (pun intended) leaving him to certain death. Poor guy probably wont make it long anyway, in his condition... right?

Am I close? :P

You forgot that Pleasant Valley is not in the first 2 episodes ;)

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2017 at 7:07 PM, Pillock said:

That looks more like it!

Apparently, back in the olden days of the age of sail, salty old sea captains would wear eye patches not because of any previous injury, but in order to permanently accustom the covered eye to darkness: that way, they could use one eye in daylight as normal, and the other one for night time so that they could navigate better in darkness. I don't know if that's true, really, and I can't even remember now where I heard it - but it sounds plausible to me. It could be what the guy here is doing: sit in a chair with a gun during daylight with his eyepatches on, so that he can deal with the dangers of night more easily with his super-adjusted eyes?

Tthey wouldn't do this chronically, as eyesite simply doesn't work this way. However, my understanding was that when attacking another ship, it made a lot of sense. You'd be fighting above board in full daylight, and then go below decks into barely lit spaces, against sailors who had been waiting below the whole time. You can't afford to take 5 minutes for your eyes, to adjust, so they'd use the eye patch to keep one eye ready to see in the darkness below. 

Archived