How about a...

SnowWalker

Compass? There have been times where I was caught unawares or stupidly in a complete whiteout where just plain luck got me out. I've always thought that a compass could be handy in those situations. One time I was on the ice just behind Misanthrope's harvesting a deer and I knew a storm was cropping up but I was too stubborn and wanted to get all of the deer before heading in. Next thing you know, full out whiteout. I felt that I was just needing to walk over the deer and go straight to get to the island but I couldn't see squat. Then the ice started breaking and I knew I was going the wrong way. I kept turning in different directions and still hitting weak ice. I thought I'd try to make a snow shelter where I stood on safe ground but the game doesn't let you when on ice. I thought I could be doomed but somehow, miraculously I found the island. It wasn't more than a few meters away but I just couldn't see it, lol. I had thought then that a compass would have been great. But, I did learn my lesson. Don't push TLD :D

Wikipedia: Several space weather phenomena tend to be associated with or are caused by a geomagnetic storm. These include solar energetic Particle (SEP) events, geomagnetically induced currents (GIC), ionospheric disturbances that cause radio and radar scintillation, disruption of navigation by magnetic compass and auroral displays at much lower latitudes than normal. In 1989, a geomagnetic storm energized ground induced currents that disrupted electric power distribution throughout most of the province of Quebec and caused aurorae as far south as Texas.

And here we go again.

COMPASS NEEDLE FOLLOWS EARTH MAGNETIC FIELD LINES. FOR IT TO STOP WORKING EARTH EM FIELD HAS TO COLLAPSE OF BE DISRUPTED IN EXTREME FASHION.

No event to date has produces sufficient interruptions to render compass unusable. Even during Carrington Event(greatest solar storm that has hit Earth in recent history) compass remained functional for most of the duration. There were spikes that send it spinning, but generally it was accurate, unless you need direction correct to a degree as it needle was floating around a bit.

Basically, any events that would cause sufficient enough disruption or collapse to render compass useless would have side-effects that would make broken compass the least of your problems. And in comparison to electrical appliances, it cant burn out.

On 2017-05-07 at 8:33 AM, Dirmagnos said:

And here we go again.

Okay guys, lol, sorry I asked about something that's already been covered a few times, and I thought it might have been, but I'm new here. The wish list thread happens to be very long so it'll take me awhile to peruse through it. I will do so though before asking for or wishing for anything else. It totally did not occur to me about a compass not working because of the geomagnetic storm, but now that I'm thinking about it, it does make sense. Thanks.

20 hours ago, SnowWalker said:

Okay guys, lol, sorry I asked about something that's already been covered a few times, and I thought it might have been, but I'm new here. The wish list thread happens to be very long so it'll take me awhile to peruse through it. I will do so though before asking for or wishing for anything else. It totally did not occur to me about a compass not working because of the geomagnetic storm, but now that I'm thinking about it, it does make sense. Thanks.

Dont be sorry, people seem to show interest in this topic fairly often. Yet devs continue to avoid it, instead we get crap like parasites or cabin fever, that create more problems that they solve(if that).

And no, it doesnt make sense. There is literally nothing that would prevent compass from working. At least i havent seen any argument that would make any sense from standpoint of basic physics. So far, best explanation is either magic or something that defies basic laws of nature, like shifting poles.

8 hours ago, Dirmagnos said:

And no, it doesnt make sense.

Oh I had thought you meant that it makes perfect sense. Oh well, we know that Hinterland have taken certain liberties in order to create a game, but if they haven't addressed this then maybe we just wont get a compass, just like we don't get flashlights, which is also kind of crazy. I can see the island running out of batteries eventually, but there should be some around for awhile including a lot of flashlights. Leaving these things out I guess just plain makes the game a little harder, and the whole oil lamp thing is fun and sometimes challenging anyway.

@SnowWalker Thing is with this whole electricity thing, that seem to be rather common theme as game progresses, that it is also complete rubbish. All those lights that come on and off in videos. It would be physically impossible.

To shut down whole countries, possible worldwide, em fluctuations must be enormous, as there are safeties upon safeties to prevent something like that to happen. Problem is design on modern light bulbs. If it will burn out, as result of electrical fluctuations(and they are not resilient at all), there is no coming back, as they are physically broken.

Light bulbs work by passing electrical current thru resistive filament in light bulb, that heats up and as result emits light. Pass 2 much current, like catastrophic em event, filament takes in 2 much current, far more than it can take safely, it overheats and literally breaks. Meaning that there is no way to close circuit. No circuit means no electric flow. No electric flow means no light.

Light bulb filling aside, if were talking complex electronics, like circuit boards, pathways will literally friggin melt. Not to mention amount of electric fires as result of overcharge that would damage electronics further.

So, in ILBs and LEDs filament will be damaged and unusable, and in CFLs light bulb ballast will burn out. Long story short, even if you take any of alternatives, none of them are particularly resistant to extreme power fluctuations and generally even just one major one will be enough to burn out majority of them. Give it several waves and literally nothing survives, those lights that made it thru initial event and got slightly damaged will burn out completely. There is literally no way in hell, at least not in this universe, for all that light flickering to happen.

Best case, relatively, scenario in given condition is electroluminescence by static electricity charging conductive surfaces. But sufficient amount of charge in the atmosphere to make all those things glow would also result in constant violent electric storms, ball lightings and playing russian roulette by touching any conductive surfaces, like metal, eg stove(cast iron is a poor conductant, but still). Because they could build up enough charge to stun or even kill player.

Car electronics are fairly resistant to such events, as car frame, made out of metal, creates Faraday cage -type of conditions. But since it would provide some degree of protection, it would also prevent static electricity from accessing inner circuitry. So, again, no lights. Same reason that could save car lights will prevent them from being charged by static electricity. And any current strong enough to overcome that defense will also burn out everything.

Flashlights could actually survive the events, depending on how they are built. Certain flashlight designs can form makeshift Faraday cage, drastically reducing amount of damage they would received from em fluctuation.

6 hours ago, Dirmagnos said:

To shut down whole countries, possible worldwide, em fluctuations must be enormous, as there are safeties upon safeties to prevent something like that to happen. 

A long time ago I read a couple of fictional novels called, 'Warday' and 'Natures End', by Whitley Strieber. Both very, very good reads. Fiction but I'd figured, researched. In Warday a nuclear bomb which has been deployed, detonates just miles above the surface of Earth.  The book explains that this was done intentionally because when a nuke is detonated just above ground it would cause a major emp which will knock out all electricity on the planet immediately, including car motors, etc.

I can't remember now if the electricity had ever been restored or not in the stories anymore.

I've always had such a fascination for post apocalyptic disaster stories about our planet. 'The Postman', 'Water World', 'The Road', 'The Day After Tomorrow', 'Mad Max' hahaha, I read everything on it that I could get my hands on. I don't delve too much into fantasy though, just post apocalyptic survival. Hence, why I love this game so much and why games like Ark, are not for me. I also don't care for the zombie thing too much either but I did love playing 'The Evil Within' and 'Dying Light'. Those were not really zombies though and more like infected people, and are not about post apocalyptic survival where I like to keep it real, at least as much as can be while still being an enjoyable game to play.

I also watched that movie Hinterland suggested: How I Ended My Summer. Not post apocalyptic but still about survival and interesting. I liked it.

3 hours ago, SnowWalker said:

A long time ago I read a couple of fictional novels called, 'Warday' and 'Natures End', by Whitley Strieber. Both very, very good reads. Fiction but I'd figured, researched. In Warday a nuclear bomb which has been deployed, detonates just miles above the surface of Earth.  The book explains that this was done intentionally because when a nuke is detonated just above ground it would cause a major emp which will knock out all electricity on the planet immediately, including car motors, etc.

First, you must understand that em disturbances caused by solar winds and nuclear detonations work differently. They are not really comparable in any extent.

Also, you got it in reverse, if you want just an emp, then you detonate it on high altitude. But if youre after more "conventional" implementations, that involves radiation, blast wave, heat wave, etc, then its detonated directly above ground.

Also, one nuke wont be enough to cause world wide blackout. Albeit, if done right, one nuke can knock out whole Europe or any of Americas, basically it radius is measured in continents.

I've always had such a fascination for post apocalyptic disaster stories about our planet. 'The Postman', 'Water World', 'The Road', 'The Day After Tomorrow', 'Mad Max' hahaha, I read everything on it that I could get my hands on.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes(with exception of last one, that was garbage, both game and movie).

I don't delve too much into fantasy though, just post apocalyptic survival. Hence, why I love this game so much and why games like Ark, are not for me. I also don't care for the zombie thing too much either but I did love playing 'The Evil Within' and 'Dying Light'. Those were not really zombies though and more like infected people, and are not about post apocalyptic survival where I like to keep it real, at least as much as can be while still being an enjoyable game to play.

Dying Light is a great game. Evil Within is garbage, especially considering that same guy made epic masterpiece that is RE4.

Ive been playing "7 days to die" a lot a while back. Now i wait for alpha 16 to get back into the game.

46 minutes ago, Dirmagnos said:

Also, you got it in reverse, if you want just an emp, then you detonate it on high altitude. But if youre after more "conventional" implementations, that involves radiation, blast wave, heat wave, etc, then its detonated directly above ground.

I should have said don't quote me on this, hahaha. I'm going from what I remembered of the story. Now I know a nuke was detonated somewhere above Earth but I can't remember exactly how high it was when it blew up. I'm pretty sure it was only one nuke though but I could be remembering it wrong there again. It was definitely for the purpose of emp effects though since I'd probably wouldn't have ever heard about such a thing otherwise.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes(with exception of last one, that was garbage, both game and movie).

I liked the first movie. Didn't play the game. I'm not one for driving games because I suck at it with the keyboard. I end up switching back and forth from keyboard to controller since I like the keyboard for everything else, so it becomes a pain. I did it for the Dying Light exp though.

I also only use a controller for side scrollers as well. Playing 'Little Nightmares' with it currently.

Dying Light is a great game. Evil Within is garbage, especially considering that same guy made epic masterpiece that is RE4.

Ive been playing "7 days to die" a lot a while back.

I loved TEW, I loved it's creepy atmosphere and I thought it was fun. I never played 7 Days to die. Maybe it's a girl thing, idk, but games are few and far between that I like to play. Not like you guys that play everything that comes out, lol. I love stealth games, just finished the new Styx. I enjoyed it and loved the first one. I have RE7 and Outlast 2 but not ready to play those yet. Have to be in the mood for scary. Did you play DE: Mankind Divided?

4 hours ago, SnowWalker said:

I liked the first movie. Didn't play the game. I'm not one for driving games because I suck at it with the keyboard. I end up switching back and forth from keyboard to controller since I like the keyboard for everything else, so it becomes a pain. I did it for the Dying Light exp though.I also only use a controller for side scrollers as well. Playing 'Little Nightmares' with it currently.

Hmm, controller you say. I sense genes of console peasantry in you. By the glory of God-Emperor you must be purged of this taint of Chaos. PC masterrace. 8)

I loved TEW, I loved it's creepy atmosphere and I thought it was fun. I never played 7 Days to die. Maybe it's a girl thing, idk, but games are few and far between that I like to play. Not like you guys that play everything that comes out, lol. I love stealth games, just finished the new Styx. I enjoyed it and loved the first one. I have RE7 and Outlast 2 but not ready to play those yet. Have to be in the mood for scary. Did you play DE: Mankind Divided?

Yes, guy thing. We like to play with anything we can get our hands on. *giggidy*

Played RE7. Far better than RE5 and 6, but not really that good. Game is extremely short and lacks content. Completed it in less than 12 hours and half that time spent running in circles and backtracking. Game pacing is horrendous, with few areas having moderate(there is no places when there is a lot of action) amount of activities, while in others you can run around for 10-15 minutes with literally nothing happening. Game also have only couple of puzzles that actually make you think, instead of just randomly tapping buttons that lead to solution. Inventory management is actually relatively ok, but game lacks any notable item balancing. On positive side its extremely well optimized.

Didnt play Outlast and dont intend 2. Walking simulators are not my thing, even if they are "scary". For the same reason i despise Until Dawn and SOMA. If i want something that has actually good stealth implementation(also good story and twists) il replay Thief, and it also has choices on how to approach completion of missions(game is also quite well balanced and optimized).

Yes, im still stuck in Prague in Mankind Divided(i have a bit of ocd when it comes to games, i just need to stick my nose in every hole possible, giggidy), after intro mission, and im like 7-8 hours in at least. I liked Human Revolution a lot more, as MD barely improves on any of important issues that first game had and some things, like hacking, actually got worse.

1 hour ago, Dirmagnos said:

Hmm, controller you say. I sense genes of console peasantry in you. By the glory of God-Emperor you must be purged of this taint of Chaos. PC masterrace. 8)

Read my last post in Doctorroc's new thread (I made another music video. I hope you like it!) Then maybe you'll understand how I roll, lol. I am not much of a console player at all but I just find driving too hard with a keyboard. In fact, I'm a fairly new gamer. I tried RE4 not too long ago since everyone raves about it but I couldn't stick with it. Just like I couldn't stick with Dishonored but once someone talked me into finishing it, I ended up loving Dishonored, and I thought the new one was awesome as well. So, I guess I should keep going with RE4 until it grabs me too. I just thought the walking in it was very weird.

Walking simulators are not my thing, even if they are "scary". For the same reason i despise Until Dawn and SOMA.

Didn't play 'Until Dawn' or any PS exclusives because I don't have one and don't intend to get one just to play a few games...'The Last of Us :(, 'Horizon Zero Dawn :/ , Uncharted' :| But screw PS, lol. We have an Xbox 360 and One but I can never get near them, lol. I adored Soma. And much to your dismay, I just bought 'What Remains of Edith Finch' :)

I liked Human Revolution a lot more, as MD barely improves on any of important issues that first game had and some things, like hacking, actually got worse.

I liked the first one a lot too but didn't play it until after I played MD, so I thought the hacking was more difficult in the first one.

18 hours ago, Dirmagnos said:

To shut down whole countries, possible worldwide, em fluctuations must be enormous, as there are safeties upon safeties to prevent something like that to happen.

Actually, the 'safeties' that exist are not designed to, and are not capable of, protecting a national electrical grid from something like a Carrington Event. All electrical grids are hugely vulnerable to such scenarios.. and will probably remain so, as the only real solution would be to put all power transmission lines, particularly the high-voltage long distance lines, underground. The costs to do such a thing would be prohibitive.

A number of countries, including the US, have investigated the problem, only to drop it in the "too hard" basket.

On 5/11/2017 at 3:17 AM, SnowWalker said:

In fact, I'm a fairly new gamer. I tried RE4 not too long ago since everyone raves about it but I couldn't stick with it. Just like I couldn't stick with Dishonored but once someone talked me into finishing it, I ended up loving Dishonored, and I thought the new one was awesome as well. So, I guess I should keep going with RE4 until it grabs me too. I just thought the walking in it was very weird.

Nab ! :) If you dont like it, dont force yourself, nothing good ever comes out of it. I liked Dishonored, but i hated it poor balancing, as if you go full stealth, then all that conventional ammo goes to waste and there is nothing to do with it but shooting rats. Havent tried second, but it is supposedly extremely buggy and poorly optimized.

Didn't play 'Until Dawn' or any PS exclusives because I don't have one and don't intend to get one just to play a few games...'The Last of Us :(, 'Horizon Zero Dawn :/ , Uncharted' :| But screw PS, lol. We have an Xbox 360 and One but I can never get near them, lol. I adored Soma. And much to your dismay, I just bought 'What Remains of Edith Finch' :)

Meh, women...B|

I liked the first one a lot too but didn't play it until after I played MD, so I thought the hacking was more difficult in the first one.

In second they added a lot of useless shit to hacking(99 types of hacking software that is either useless or made purely to combat new crap they added; and player cant even friggin craft those), while anything that is related to actual skill still remained absent and game was still rigged, with player triggering 15% nodes every third attempt, which is statistically impossible.

On 5/11/2017 at 6:02 AM, JAFO said:

Actually, the 'safeties' that exist are not designed to, and are not capable of, protecting a national electrical grid from something like a Carrington Event. All electrical grids are hugely vulnerable to such scenarios.. and will probably remain so, as the only real solution would be to put all power transmission lines, particularly the high-voltage long distance lines, underground. The costs to do such a thing would be prohibitive.

A number of countries, including the US, have investigated the problem, only to drop it in the "too hard" basket.

Im talking relatively. There is no electric grid that would survive such major event. But thats exactly the point im trying to make. Anything small would not obliterate electrical grid due to those safeties, or at least it would be up and running in matter of days at the most, as were talking critical infrastructure. And even putting all lines underground wont help in case of Carrington -level event, it would still blow everything everywhere.

At the same time, anything strong enough to kill the grid, will be more that enough to kill(and i mean for good, not just throw a breaker and were ok) all the electrical appliances, including lights, hundreds(if not thousands) times over.

5 hours ago, Dirmagnos said:

Havent tried second, but it is supposedly extremely buggy and poorly optimized.

I had no problems with it from the get go. The only thing was that the game lets you play three campaigns at the same time so I tried to play the first one 'Emily-Low Chaos and the second 'Corvo-High Chaos, but my game wouldn't let me play a second one at the same time. I would get to around the second mission and it would ctd. It didn't effect my original game at all though, just a second or third one. So I just replayed the game once I was finished the first and had no problems with it. Also, at first it took forever for the title loading screen but then after a few sessions seemed to work itself out and was a lot faster. My FO4 loading screens are slow too so that's probably my PC.

Meh, women...B|

John Wolfe aka HarslyCritical plays all those games and he just started Edith Finch, so did some other guy letsplayers. You just don't have patience for the slower paced games :P

At the same time, anything strong enough to kill the grid, will be more that enough to kill(and i mean for good, not just throw a breaker and were ok) all the electrical appliances, including lights, hundreds(if not thousands) times over.

Not sure if this is way off topic or not. This whole convo reminds me of those documentaries Day one, Day two, 20 years, etc. If everyone just instantly disappeared, how long would it take the Earth to banish all sign of us. I think it was a good hundred years before unmanned power plants and grids would completely shut down. Are you an electrician, by any chance?

Edit: Maybe it wasn't a hundred years. Maybe only twenty, lol. A long time anyway.

On 5/12/2017 at 5:23 PM, SnowWalker said:

John Wolfe aka HarslyCritical plays all those games and he just started Edith Finch, so did some other guy letsplayers. You just don't have patience for the slower paced games :P

Dont know him, dont really care. My game selection is based on what i knew from before, what i randomly come across and what people i know play. And my main indicator of quality are negative reviews of Steam, when i actually have to make decision to either spend my time on this game or not.

I dont mind slow-paced games, i like to take my time. Games/missions that i hate the most are time-restricted, where you have to constantly run somewhere or do something fast. I like Alien Isolation, for example, and this game is extremely punishing and slow. 

Not sure if this is way off topic or not. This whole convo reminds me of those documentaries Day one, Day two, 20 years, etc. If everyone just instantly disappeared, how long would it take the Earth to banish all sign of us. I think it was a good hundred years before unmanned power plants and grids would completely shut down. Are you an electrician, by any chance?

Edit: Maybe it wasn't a hundred years. Maybe only twenty, lol. A long time anyway.

"Life after people". Like that one.

No, im not, i just like to know things and often spend hours researching some small subject, purely for the fun of it. Im in IT.

Power plants would fail far sooner, couple of years at the most. There is a reason why there is constantly someone watching, as with all complex system they are prone to failures. And when one small thing fails, with nobody to fix it, it will have a domino effect.

On 2017-05-14 at 3:29 AM, Dirmagnos said:

I like Alien Isolation, for example, and this game is extremely punishing and slow. 

A:I, one of my faves. I've played that game over and over till the cows came home. Got all collectibles and all achievements, except 'no death', meaning my death, not kills I've made. I did get the mercy cheevo. I've got that 'no death' game going though. I'm at medical trying to get the trauma kit without dying. I haven't visited that one in awhile now. Waiting to get Xeno jonesing again, lol.

Also, after I posted this I thought, well what could be slower paced than this game, lol. Thing is though, that there's danger around every corner, top of every hill. You're always on edge.

The game 'What remains of Edith Finch' is very good. I love it. They're using some techniques and concepts I've never seen before.

On 2017-05-14 at 3:29 AM, Dirmagnos said:

"Life after people". Like that one.

Yep, I think that's it. It's been a long time since I saw it but in my mind it seemed like they had the power plants running for quite some time before, I'm gonna call it 'electrical silence' :)

On 2017-05-12 at 6:24 AM, Dirmagnos said:

I had to show you this video. Not so much the video, which warns us of impending doom on Earth, but of the comments of one guy below, one Ryan Kamal. I thought 'I gotta get Dirmagnos's take on this guy's comment. He states something and then tells us to ask him about it if we want an explanation. So Fuarian, of all people, posts something to him (I was surprised to see Fuarian posting on a video that I watched that was completely unrelated to TLD :D) Fuarian didn't ask him to elaborate but the guy takes Fuarian's comment as a cue to elaborate on his statement anyway. It's his second post that I wanted you read, right after Fuarian's. A 'flat Earth guy also gets in on the thread' lol, unless he was just being sarcastic, I can't tell. Anyway, no rush.

Here's the link to the vid. Whoops, I added the link a few times because I thought it disappeared lol. Now I can't figure out how to delete all but one of them.

8 minutes ago, Dirmagnos said:

Went, and crapped all over the place. That guy...that guy...really. How can one be that ignorant!

Hahaha, he saw it on Netflix. I just read your post and wondered if it was you. He's going to argue with you, I know it. He's been active in the thread.

14 hours ago, SnowWalker said:

Hahaha, he saw it on Netflix. I just read your post and wondered if it was you. He's going to argue with you, I know it. He's been active in the thread.

Let him, unless he does at least some reading up on the subject, it wont even be a debate.

• 3 weeks later...

I actually think it would be cool for them to introduce a confused compass.  They don't have too many things like the radio or TV that remind you of the storyline.  Especially in Sandbox it's easy to just get into 'survival mode' and assume the power is out.  A lazily spinning, useless compass would be a beautiful little touch to reinforce the suddenness and violence of the disruption to the digital order.  Imagine how happy you'd be to get one, and how frustrated you'd be once you pull it out!  Talk about empathizing with your character.

9 minutes ago, Uriel said:

Imagine how happy you'd be to get one, and how frustrated you'd be once you pull it out!

Which is pretty much why I suggested it.. but then, I tend to get a kick out of messing with people's heads. <evil grin>

Archived