Hello Fellow Survivors

SnowWalker

Hi everyone. I'm just a girl from Northern Ontario Canada, currently living in Southern Ontario, near Toronto. Just thought I'd finally drop by and say hello after yesterdays awesome news from Hinterland. I'm mostly not one for social media and joining forums and such anymore. My life is so busy as it is. I have one or two social media lifelines and that's enough for me. This is the only forum I've joined in something like eight years, and that was for a musician that I love.

I'm not really a newbie. I've been playing TLD since the start. Firstly on my brother in law's PC and then made the jump to Steam in 2015 when I bought for myself, a better graphics card for my own PC. The Long Dark was one of my first purchases. Between my brother in law's PC and mine, I must have logged well over 1,500 hrs of Long Dark game-play, maybe more. I wish I could have carried over the time I had spent in the game to my Steam game. I would have had most achievements and feats by then, but of course, I had to begin again from scratch. Although, I think we all had to begin the feats from scratch once they became available. Anyway, I have all achievements now, except 200 days and No Guns. Those are both ongoing sandbox games that I visit periodically. I'm on 140 days or so in Voyager for 200 days and I'm very close to getting 'No Guns'. I have all Feats  except for Book Smarts and Fire Master which I'm just a smidgen away from getting. I feel like, after all this time in the game I should have Fire Master by now, lol, but, oh well ;) I have all of the badges. I also have an ongoing sandbox game in Stalker and I think I've survived about 15 days in Interloper, and that took a few tries to get. Interloper is stressful to say the least. I have to be at complete peace with mind, body and soul before I'll start it again. It's quite the challenge.

I'm not the greatest player but I do so love this game. If you've ever seen me post in YouTube you might have seen me say that I call this game, my forever game. I'm committed. For survival, nothing touches this game imo. I've tried them all, only to ask for a refund, lol. For it's replay-ability, it's suspense, intrigue, mystique and just plain enjoyment, I can easily say that it's numero uno in my book, and there are tons and tons of games I love. I'm on pins and needles waiting for the sandbox update 'Faithful Cartographer' and of course for the August 1st 'Wintermute' launch.

I'm so excited, and I just can't hide it!

Thank you so much to the Hinterland team. You devs have brought me so many hours of great fun. Your passion, commitment and dedication to this game is greatly appreciated. It must be so rewarding and gratifying to be involved in the development of such a beautiful, wonderful game. I can easily see the love you put into it. I don't even like to call it a 'game'. It's more like an experience. I can't think of an appropriate word but thank you, thank you, thank you. You do our country proud.

You are, the bees knees.

Hello!  I can relate to much of what you have shared.

19 minutes ago, SnowWalker said:

I'm mostly not one for social media and joining forums and such anymore. My life is so busy as it is. I have one or two social media lifelines and that's enough for me. This is the only forum I've joined in something like eight years

This is the only forum I have ever been on! :)

22 minutes ago, SnowWalker said:

I call this game, my forever game. I'm committed. For survival, nothing touches this game imo.

This is pretty much the only game I play! :D

23 minutes ago, SnowWalker said:

For it's replay-ability, it's suspense, intrigue, mystique and just plain enjoyment, I can easily say that it's numero uno in my book

It's easily my favorite too!

34 minutes ago, SnowWalker said:

Thank you so much to the Hinterland team. You devs have brought me so many hours of great fun. Your passion, commitment and dedication to this game is greatly appreciated. It must be so rewarding and gratifying to be involved in the development of such a beautiful, wonderful game. I can easily see the love you put into it.

Yep!

34 minutes ago, SnowWalker said:

I don't even like to call it a 'game'. It's more like an experience.

Exactly how I feel. :)

Oh btw, my hubby only plays sports games, Madden mostly, hockey, baseball, wrestling and even sometimes golf, lol. When he sees me playing TLD he always says to me "Playing your snow walking game again?" :D He doesn't get it, lol. Anyway, it's why I call myself SnowWalker.

2 minutes ago, SnowWalker said:

Oh btw, my hubby only plays sports games, Madden mostly, hockey, baseball, wrestling and even sometimes golf, lol. When he sees me playing TLD he always says to me "Playing your snow walking game again?" :D He doesn't get it, lol. Anyway, it's why I call myself SnowWalker.

Welcome! I've had some similar experiences as well when pitching the game to friends or family -- it's not for absolutely everyone. But we've been super happy with the passion shown by players who do appreciate what The Long Dark is doing. Sometimes a frigid, post-apocalyptic wilderness is exactly where you want to find yourself. 

Looking forward to seeing you around the forums!

Welcome @SnowWalker! There is a great community here on these forms. The Moderator's are always around to help and answer questions. There are some great players on here and some like (yourself) have logged over 1000+ hours ( I'm currently just over 1400 hours). See you around and remember to stay frosty out there. B| 

8 hours ago, Timber Wolf said:

Hello!  I can relate to much of what you have shared.

This is the only forum I have ever been on! :)

This is pretty much the only game I play! :D

It's easily my favorite too!

Yep!

Exactly how I feel. :)

Thank you Timber Wolf. I love your wolf icon btw. As soon as I have some time, I want to read your story on taking OB on a tour. It caught my eye and then I noticed it was by you. I should have come here a long time ago. There's so many interesting things! I want to read all of 'Stupidest ways you died' for sure. Better late than never, guess.

5 hours ago, Arcani said:

Welcome @SnowWalker! There is a great community here on these forms. The Moderator's are always around to help and answer questions. There are some great players on here and some like (yourself) have logged over 1000+ hours ( I'm currently just over 1400 hours). See you around and remember to stay frosty out there. B| 

Thanks so much Arcani, and I'm getting frosty right now actually, hahaha. I've just decided to take one of my characters over to DP to see if I can't find that ten hour Guns, Guns, Guns' book to read so I can nip this 'book smarts' feat in the bud before the update. I know I don't have to but I just have the urge now since I'm so close with it.

7 hours ago, Patrick Carlson said:

Welcome! I've had some similar experiences as well when pitching the game to friends or family -- it's not for absolutely everyone. But we've been super happy with the passion shown by players who do appreciate what The Long Dark is doing. Sometimes a frigid, post-apocalyptic wilderness is exactly where you want to find yourself. 

Looking forward to seeing you around the forums!

Thank you Patrick. I'm honored you would reply to me :) I play a lot of games and I tell my hubby that he needs to broaden his horizons but then he just counters with, why don't 'I' play some Madden, and to me, I can't think of anything worse, lol. So I guess that I don't get his games either and that makes us even. I did actually influence two people to get the game though. They both seem to enjoy it.

And yes I agree, sometimes you do want to find yourself in a post-apocalyptic wilderness, Even if I don't play for awhile, it calls me back. I need to be out in those spooky woods sometimes, in the freezing cold, grim world of the long dark. but only from the comforts of my living room :D 

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, cekivi said:

Specked trout. And a very tasty one at that :D 

My fave trout! So good!! That looks like a pretty big specked trout if you ask me. 3-4 lbs maybe? I still go by pounds in some things, especially fish, lol. My absolute fave fish to eat are small mouth bass....and pickerel. Now I want to go fishing! I'm the one who never wants to come in off the lake, winter or summer....even when the sun has gone down, lol.

Archived