Keep Research Times to the Minute

Kyopaxa

Whenever I am researching a book and get interrupted for any reason, the time spent researching is lost. Even if I was almost done with that 1 hour of research. Would be nice if research can be improved so it works similar to crafting, keeping any time spent researching even if it's a fraction.

I completely agree with this idea! I mean really, just thinking about it… If you sit down and read a book for 55 minutes when you planned to read for an hour and then decide "I'm too tired" or whatever and put the book down, you don't go back to the place that you started the next time you read.  Who is going to be thinking, "...well I didn't finish my hour, so Ive got to read all that again." That's just crazy! So yeah, I think this is a great idea. 

9 hours ago, mic said:

That is a good idea, I think that should apply too water boiling and other things too.. not only books.

Maybe not for boiling water. Water needs to boil for a sustained time to fully kill organisms. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think this amount of boiling time is something that can be resumed. It needs to start over for safety.

Although, I agree that other things should work to the minute, like harvesting wood from branches. If you spent 1 hour cutting wood, it doesn't make sense that you have to start over as if the branch was intact.

2 hours ago, Kyopaxa said:

Maybe not for boiling water. Water needs to boil for a sustained time to fully kill organisms. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think this amount of boiling time is something that can be resumed. It needs to start over for safety.

Weird. I said the same thing but it didn't post for some reason :)

To the minute, maybe not. But progress should reflect time spend. If i need 2 hours to do something and then at 1:59 night arrives, it all lost. Absurdly.

Basically if intended to read 6 chapters, but managed to go only thru 5, then i magically forget those 5. I can understand forgetting last one i read, as i didnt finish it and didnt get full picture of what was written in there, but rest...

Its not exactly we were reading Plato "Republic"(that im still having trouble with).

I'm +1 for this, for books (not water).  Less annoying = more immersive, and it's not like are important tradeoffs here that get lost.  Hopefully there is some overlap with the crafting table code, which does halt on a fraction of an hour if it gets too dark to continue crafting.

Reading books and clothing repair are affected and should retain their work time.

Just before bed for me is the right time for an hour of reading but having the light fade one or two minutes before finishing and now fifty eight minutes have been wasted.  I had the lantern why not fire it up and finish the chapter already or at least dogear and bookmark that page.

Now when light is diminishing I look for something to tear apart.  Even though you cannot break down a table in the dark you can start to break it and finish in the dark.  So a table could take 1.5 hours to break down and if I start when there is only a few minutes of light left the task is started in the light and completed in the dark. This tactic gives balance and makes up for the book reading problem.

On 2017-5-4 at 1:26 AM, cekivi said:

@FJ!: Sadly this is a feature, not a bug :(

But there is already a similar conversation going on with skill books so I'm going to merge these two threads.

Annoying things like this make me (almost) long for the days when you could craft whatever you wanted even in the pitch dark. Then you never lost supplies :) 

Hi Cekivi,

I disagree about this being a similar conversation because I also disagree about the other conversation being a feature. FJ! talks about requiring extra materials if crafting is interrupted too close to the end. I believe this is a bug, since last materials should not disappear until crafting is completed but right now they disappear when there's still crafting time left.

On the other side, I was talking about reading books or cutting wood keeping the time spent as a fraction. Nothing to do with incorrectly consumed materials while crafting.

So in short, I believe merging these two conversations has buried the time research suggestion under a bug about losing materials while crafting.

Split and moved to playtest feedback as per OP's request. 

If you don't finish crafting though you do require extra materials. I've had it happen when trying to make deerskin boots in two sessions. You always need fewer guts and hides if you craft in one session. 

Thanks for splitting the thread.

On 2017-5-5 at 7:19 PM, cekivi said:

If you don't finish crafting though you do require extra materials. I've had it happen when trying to make deerskin boots in two sessions. You always need fewer guts and hides if you craft in one session. 

Isn't that a bug? Requiring extra materials because you decide to sleep a little before finishing your awesome deer boots doesn't seem logic, unless some mysterious dwarves remove some materials from your boots during night. :ph34r:

29 minutes ago, Kyopaxa said:

Thanks for splitting the thread.

Isn't that a bug? Requiring extra materials because you decide to sleep a little before finishing your awesome deer boots doesn't seem logic, unless some mysterious dwarves remove some materials from your boots during night. :ph34r:

Good question. I always thought the justification was that you're leaving things half finished so you need fresh bits and bobs to finish. It makes zero sense when you're 95% or greater finished though. 

Archived