Weapon Selection?

kevin_tsai

I know combat is a mapped out to be a really small portion of the game, but what do you guys think about some weapons that you'll be allowed to use? Obviously since nobody is bulk manufacturing ammunition anymore so guns will probably be used sparingly, unless there's a reload ammunition mechanic.

Melee weapons would be neat too, maybe you could craft your own out of various supplies scattered about for use in hunting or self defense.

One of the reasons I'm so excited about this game is that there's so much mystery still surrounding what the game will be like!

I'm very curious about this as well.

Ammo will be like gold in a post-collapse environment. (Probably more valuable)

I'd love to see a reloading press in the safe house. (Maybe that's what I'll design for my item. :-) )

Mystery is good. I can't wait to see what the developers come up with.

I can see ammo being worth a lot, perhaps a new currency, but it would surely start out tight and only get worse from there. I know there are lots of people near where I live that have tens of thousands of rounds of ammo, but I am not familiar with the gun/ammo laws/restrictions put in place by the fictional governments that run the world of TLD. A bolt action .308 would be a good choice, or anything in .30 caliber

I can see ammo being worth a lot, perhaps a new currency, but it would surely start out tight and only get worse from there. I know there are lots of people near where I live that have tens of thousands of rounds of ammo, but I am not familiar with the gun/ammo laws/restrictions put in place by the fictional governments that run the world of TLD. A bolt action .308 would be a good choice, or anything in .30 caliber

a .22lr is an amazing option as well. Can take down a deer or wolf with a well placed shot, and a user can carry 1000 rounds fairly easily. No other round can claim that.

a .22lr is an amazing option as well. Can take down a deer or wolf with a well placed shot, and a user can carry 1000 rounds fairly easily. No other round can claim that.

Ammo is cheap as hell and more plentiful than jelly beans, it's possible to carry almost 2000 rounds easily.

That'd be interesting, I remember in books such as The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks they talk about how in a apocalyptic future that round would be pretty useful just due to plain abundance of it.

Anyway, back into weapon selection, I really want there to be a big emphasis on the scarcity of ammo. I remember playing DayZ and getting into firefights with other players, just shooting away desperately and knowing that each shot I took was equivalent to about ~10 min of dangerous looting.

I am expecting a good deal of melee options. I'm a big fan of the company Cold Steel. But I'm also really hoping for traps. All different types and sizes for different prey (human included).

Also, what about thrown or slung?

I definitely would like to see crafting in an open way. Ex: using a propeller from your downed aircraft along with a handle and some rope to create a cricket style bat.

I am expecting a good deal of melee options. I'm a big fan of the company Cold Steel. But I'm also really hoping for traps. All different types and sizes for different prey (human included).

Also, what about thrown or slung?

I definitely would like to see crafting in an open way. Ex: using a propeller from your downed aircraft along with a handle and some rope to create a cricket style bat. Or how about using the oil out if the engine, soaked into a rag, on a branch, for light and minimal heat at night?

@ArrayKnight I also think that traps could play a big role in TLD they could be used to protect your territory as well as for catching game. As for melee weapons I would love to be able to make spears out of scrap metal and branches, or a hacked together hand axe that could serve a dual purpose as a weapon or tool.

Traps would be nice especially if your "safe house" isn't much of a shelter and you want to stave off hungry wolves while you sleep but if there might be other survivors in the area, I don't know if I would feel comfortable laying traps about that an innocent person might step in. I understand survival may be every man/woman for themselves but I am sure it would get awfully lonely in TLD.

The ability to craft your own bows/arrows would be great,should be able to find the bits I should think.

Stone bits would do the trick I imagine. Or you could try using some aluminum bits off the downed plane. That would supply you ample amounts of aluminum for a while.

Archived