A civilized discussion about the news...

Docterrok

1 minute ago, GorillaDust said:

Patrick just confirmed on another thread that Wintermute will see the introduction of two new maps, and both of them will be playable in Survivor mode.

Big news - I'm actually more excited for that than I am for Chapters 1 & 2 of Wintermute.

Link:

Im excited for the redesigned rifle. lol

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, GorillaDust said:

Patrick just confirmed on another thread that Wintermute will see the introduction of two new maps, and both of them will be playable in Survivor mode.

Big news - I'm actually more excited for that than I am for Chapters 1 & 2 of Wintermute.

Link:

Just to clarify this over here as well, since it was cross posted -- we'll be working to get these Wintermute maps playable in Survivor mode, but we can't promise that that will happen at launch. I am sorry for the confusion on this. We know the eagerness and interest of sandbox players to dive into this stuff. We hear you. 

1 hour ago, Patrick Carlson said:

Just to clarify this over here as well, since it was cross posted -- we'll be working to get these Wintermute maps playable in Survivor mode, but we can't promise that that will happen at launch. I am sorry for the confusion on this. We know the eagerness and interest of sandbox players to dive into this stuff. We hear you. 

I think it's sensible to keep the Wintermute maps separate to start with, anyway. That way people can't get used to them beforehand and spoil the story experience. I know people could and probably will argue personal choice over that, but I like to start new sandbox games on a random map, and I wouldn't want the game to plonk me into one of the Wintermute maps before I'd completely finished with the story.

Have you considered an 'unlocking' feature, so players have to complete certain parts of the Story Mode before they can use those maps?

I think it's reasonable as well.  I like your 'unlocking feature,' Pillock.  I think there will be pushback from the sandbox folks over the decision, so they might end up just moving the maps over after a designated amount of time rather than unlocking the content for sandbox.  We don't really know their motivation.  The team might want the maps available for sandbox asap but there's some issue causing the delay.  At this point, having had sandbox get so much lovin', I don't mind seeing them wait just a bit for features because the team's working to get the story mode content nailed down first.  Kind of refreshing to have sandbox waiting for story for a change.  Not that I want to deny sandbox anything, mind you.  I'm all for everyone getting everything.  However, if there's a line forming for who gets what, it'd be nice to be in the front of it for once.

4 hours ago, Cantousent said:

I think it's reasonable as well.  I like your 'unlocking feature,' Pillock.  I think there will be pushback from the sandbox folks over the decision, so they might end up just moving the maps over after a designated amount of time rather than unlocking the content for sandbox.  We don't really know their motivation.  The team might want the maps available for sandbox asap but there's some issue causing the delay.  At this point, having had sandbox get so much lovin', I don't mind seeing them wait just a bit for features because the team's working to get the story mode content nailed down first.  Kind of refreshing to have sandbox waiting for story for a change.  Not that I want to deny sandbox anything, mind you.  I'm all for everyone getting everything.  However, if there's a line forming for who gets what, it'd be nice to be in the front of it for once.

80% of the Dev team has been working on Story Mode since at least last summer or so. That's almost certainly the sole reason why many highly-requested Roadmap features (e.g. moose, cougars, cooking overhaul, revolvers, ailment system overhaul/wellbeing) have not been finished and integrated into the sandbox yet. Simply because only 20% of the team are working on these things. How one could ever perceive that as Story Mode being lower priority than Sandbox for the Devs is not clear to me, sorry.;)

Aw well, Scyzara, I won't flame you.  You know how this goes.  The 20% has been releasing things while we wait for story mode.  You may be right.  I even believe you *are.* ...But the heart wants what the heart wants.  :faint smile with one raised eyebrow icon:

9 hours ago, Pillock said:

I think it's sensible to keep the Wintermute maps separate to start with, anyway. That way people can't get used to them beforehand and spoil the story experience. I know people could and probably will argue personal choice over that, but I like to start new sandbox games on a random map, and I wouldn't want the game to plonk me into one of the Wintermute maps before I'd completely finished with the story.

Have you considered an 'unlocking' feature, so players have to complete certain parts of the Story Mode before they can use those maps?

I believe that an unlocking feature would be bad since there are players that clearly state they are not playing for the story mode or even waiting for it, but LOVE the sandbox/survival mode. I wouldn't want to randomly spawn into the new maps either, but take a dice and set ML to 1, CH to 2, TWM on 3 and so on and you can randomize your starting map anyway ;) Think outside the box B|

5 hours ago, Mr.Zim said:

I believe that an unlocking feature would be bad since there are players that clearly state they are not playing for the story mode or even waiting for it, but LOVE the sandbox/survival mode. I wouldn't want to randomly spawn into the new maps either, but take a dice and set ML to 1, CH to 2, TWM on 3 and so on and you can randomize your starting map anyway ;) Think outside the box B|

That's not really the same.

When i start on random maps, there is usually a brief period of disorientation or feeling of being lost before I figure out which map I'm on and where I am - especially if it's foggy and/or dark when you spawn in. I like this aspect of the game, and it's why I regularly start again with new games and always randomise the starting point.

I think it would be good if the game  had some mechanism that prevented the randomizer from selecting certain maps that you don't want to play, especially if it's one of those that is part of the story,  which you don't want to spoil

Save system overhaul - to be honest, I prefer the carring over, but I am totally ok with "start from zero", after all... eventually i would have to do that.
besides, clearing thing up is a good Ideia.
NEW IU -

On 07/05/2017 at 1:35 AM, thekillergreece said:

I must ask Hinterland to consider implementing 2 options in "Settings". There you should choose "Classic" or "Modern". Classic as in, the OLD IU where we got those percentages and so on. Modern as in, the new IU. The new IU is cool but it seems the half of playerbase of TLD prefers the old IU.

I arrived in the same conclusion, the new UI tries to blend in, but is like putting emoji's over a classic paint and saying "nobody will notice", so fire-horse technical talk time:

• is fussy around the edges, making harder to see and read.
  • icons don't help, they draw attention from player, are hard to understand, there no need for them.
  • icons base meters are even hard to get accurate readings, the fact that they are small, inconsistent on shape make thing even harder.
  • more and smaller icons take more brain power, they just populate, pollute, make noise, in the field of view.

so please, make the UI simple, clean, sharp. like the old/V.393 version, in sum "the old UI is better", i don't how to put it, it just way better.
so, please, I know it's hard work, i know some spend hours doing that new use interface and hiring it to the game, but for me is just trying to make something already good better and end up with something worse, I am sorry, but I don't like it, is just worse over all..
but it can pass, just give some way to get those precise % of status with having to look to those icons, I shall be fine with they existence.

Cartography - now... the map is astonishing good for something made out of charcoal.
look, I like gorgeous maps, but is a survival map make in a survival situation, by a bush pilot.
i mean, it should be more ugly... for something made on spot over the back pack with charcoal out of a burned stick.
and the piece of paper if very clean...

Throwing stones and flares - well, I guest it's better that noting, but can you guys say way the branding idea was discarded?

Carcass Quartering - well, it's nice to have such game mechanic, but i need to see how it works in game.

Art - well... UI at side (I gonna say a 3 time, don't put freaking Icons in my field of view [the ones on side of the status bars are ok]) the art is getting... SPOOKLYING... better
surprise, surprise, it possible to make something superb, even better.

P.S.: serious, those Icons in the new UI are TICKing my TOC...

On 2017-05-11 at 1:36 PM, Pillock said:

That's not really the same.

When i start on random maps, there is usually a brief period of disorientation or feeling of being lost before I figure out which map I'm on and where I am - especially if it's foggy and/or dark when you spawn in. I like this aspect of the game, and it's why I regularly start again with new games and always randomise the starting point.

I think it would be good if the game  had some mechanism that prevented the randomizer from selecting certain maps that you don't want to play, especially if it's one of those that is part of the story,  which you don't want to spoil

I get what you mean with the period of disorientation and how it would not be the same if one uses a dice (and that IS a very funny aspect of using the random selection not knowing if going straight ahed or left or right is the best way). My concern is for those that "dont want to play story mode" I cant really understand why anyone dont but thats their choice. I'll play story mode as soon as it releases before going back to survival mode and I can't really figure out a good way to "deselect" the new maps aside from a button that says "old maps random" and "all maps random" :/
Why would you start a survival game when story mode comes and play that first? You do play testbranch right? So that all new mechanics and UI will be experienced before anyway.. I'm curious ^_^

Archived