A civilized discussion about the news...

Docterrok

I've noticed that things have gotten heated, so I want to discuss everything that you guys like/dislike about this decision, the reason I'm posting it here is because I don't want any mud slinging, I just want to discuss. Thoughts?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a good idea!

I'm missing the cooking update mostly, the rock throwing is so basic survival I'm glad they added it and throwing flares will be fun since I came into TLD after that was taken away.

cartography I have been doing since I started the game, paper and pencil next to the keyboard and it looks so alike to what I see on the in game picture so this is Really cool! :D

Coming to PS4 is a huge step and I know some of my friends who will get it on PS4

The up coming new features will be a great addition to the game & i'm really looking forward to it.

The one thing I'm not to keen on is the extra icons at the middle bottom of the screen. I think what we have now is more aesthetic. Hopefully they flag up when there is an issue & be invisible the rest of the time.

This game is to beautiful to clutter with icons.

@Docterrok Thanks for starting this thread.  The forums have been overrun with folks giving feedback to Hinterland about marketing, but I want to discuss the new info.

Where to begin!  LOVED so much of what I saw in the video.

For starters, the new detailed interiors look awesome!  Just speaking for myself, but I feel this will improve the immersion.  (The outdoors has always felt super immersive to me, indoors not as much.)

interior.thumb.jpg.5b209a99578471c75d862e7496f05f94.jpg

New locations galore --  the explorer in me rejoices.  I'll put these in a spoiler tag so folks can choose to be surprised later.

milton.thumb.jpg.8cd42cb384d8ca2b73535990182893c7.jpg

ooh, such loot density!  *listens for wolves*

store.thumb.jpg.9ec9418b1ba6b95290fc525a423489e1.jpg

Are those kayak paddles on the pegboard?

warehouse.thumb.jpg.6cdce76b8e7614233094c80a51855074.jpg

And we complained about the dilapidated state of the Mountaineer's Hut :D

Contiuned...

Aurora - omg the feels!  So beautiful and eerie.

aurora.thumb.jpg.8216db929051d5f66067d9af4a3bc957.jpg

Cool side effects from the aurora -- fluorescent lights and old TVs glow!

lights.thumb.jpg.88d644a7d65f1922b8dbe50f6e07d33a.jpg

Not sure whether this will make dark interiors easier to navigate or more spooky, but it looks immersive as hell in the video!

Also some good details in the FAQ:

astrid.png.2d0fdf5b35a0add38e624738484d4185.png

I think it will be really engaging to play as each character.  Plus a nice change of pace to alternate between them for new episodes.

590ca55c35aba_storysurvival.png.fb501e72f7dbd8745cd2add798422583.png

I'm pretty happy that we'll get to do some survival during the story.  I'm not personally into super-linear stories in sandboxes... Firewatch, for example, was disappointing to me in that way.   I know people call TLD a "walking simulator", but it never felt that way because the survival is so demanding.  Firewatch really did feel like a walking simulator.

Comments about info in the dev diary:

Save system changes -- I'm ok with this.  Now's the time to fix the plumbing, beats changing it later!  I'm actually looking forward to a fresh start.

New UI -- I have some of the same concerns about clutter and legibility other have expressed, but I'll wait to see it in action.  Probably I'll get used to it.  I do like being able to drink from radial menu.  Eating, though... not sure how well this will work because the choice of what to eat is more complicated.  

Cartography -- looks good.  I appreciate the opt-in approach. :)

Throwing stones and flares -- This sounds fun!  (and a helluva lot more fun than dropping my brand with every 3rd stick I pick up.)

Carcass Quartering -- I'm glad there risk/reward to it, but I wonder how it will be received.  My impression is that at least some of the folks asked for dragging carcasses didn't want it for survival reasons or to make TLD as conceived by Hinterland more nuanced.  They want to drag the human corpse out of the camp office.  Or they want less nuanced survival by moving outdoor tasks inside to make them easier.  Or they want more "reality simulator" in the game, so that they can play as an experienced hunter rather than a random survivor from a plane crash.  I'm not saying any of those reasons are wrong per se, but they are widely divergent.  This is one of those features where pleasing all the people will be very hard.

Sorry about the wall of text (and pictures).  I had a lot I'd been wanting to say.

Story Mode is now described as a "Narrative Experience".  I'm guessing that means no interaction, just cut scenes.  Most likely at transition points.  Then maybe by episode 5 they'll let us follow a slowly walking NPC along a fixed path.  I'm not excited.

1 minute ago, selfless said:

Story Mode is now described as a "Narrative Experience".  I'm guessing that means no interaction, just cut scenes.  Most likely at transition points.  Then maybe by episode 5 they'll let us follow a slowly walking NPC along a fixed path.  I'm not excited.

Plus a whole lot of survival and exploration, of course (NPCs aren't the only way to tell a story).  Regarding NPC interactions, I guess cut scenes are a possibility but I haven't seen the devs say we won't encounter NPCs in the world.  Have you?

26 minutes ago, selfless said:

I think so too, because I doubt we'll be given the option to shoot Methuselah. 

29 minutes ago, Ruruwawa said:

Plus a whole lot of survival and exploration, of course (NPCs aren't the only way to tell a story).  Regarding NPC interactions, I guess cut scenes are a possibility but I haven't seen the devs say we won't encounter NPCs in the world.  Have you?

Confirming a negative is something they never do.  "If you can't say something good..." and all that.  (Who says they don't have good PR people?)

PS4 was "not in the plan" only four months ago.  But the studio never said "No."

EDIT: Probably won't be able to bury Methuselah in meat patties then lure over a bear either.  Or light fires under him. Why even bother trying to find him if its not going to be any fun when you do?

Just now, Docterrok said:

no, Im just saying that It'd be weird to be able to kill everyone you see right off the bat.

I see what you mean.  All speculation at this point, however, and I think we'll all had a graphic lesson about the hazards to unfounded speculation recently :D  That's why I like this discussion about what they've actually said.

Just now, Ruruwawa said:

I see what you mean.  All speculation at this point, however, and I think we'll all had a graphic lesson about the hazards to unfounded speculation recently :D  That's why I like this discussion about what they've actually said.

Thank you, thats why I made it! :)

Excellent topic idea, @Docterrok!

46 minutes ago, Ruruwawa said:

For starters, the new detailed interiors look awesome!  Just speaking for myself, but I feel this will improve the immersion.  (The outdoors has always felt super immersive to me, indoors not as much.)

I agree!  The interiors look awesome!

43 minutes ago, Ruruwawa said:

Throwing stones and flares -- This sounds fun! 

It most certainly does sound like fun!  I can't wait to mess with the wolves. :D

43 minutes ago, Ruruwawa said:

Save system changes -- I'm ok with this.  Now's the time to fix the plumbing, beats changing it later!  I'm actually looking forward to a fresh start.

I have no problem at all with this.  I always assumed it would happen at some point during development.

44 minutes ago, Ruruwawa said:

Carcass Quartering -- I'm glad there risk/reward to it, but I wonder how it will be received.

This is an interesting addition and I look forward to finding out what strategies will work best.

45 minutes ago, Ruruwawa said:

Cartography -- looks good.  I appreciate the opt-in approach. :)

Agreed.

36 minutes ago, selfless said:

I'm not particularly excited either, however story mode has always been a secondary consideration for me.  I'll definitely play through it after the release, but I'll always be a hardcore sandbox type player.

15 minutes ago, Docterrok said:

Im sure we'll be in for a few surprises! :D

I think so too!

Welcome to the forums @Popeathalamus ^_^

My biggest disappointment in the announcement was the lack of improved cooking. I was really looking forward to that one. 

The aurora, new areas, interiors, etc. all look gorgeous so it's clear the dev team haven't been slacking off though ;)

It also be interesting to see how the NPCs interact in the end. 

Just now, cekivi said:

Welcome to the forums @Popeathalamus ^_^

My biggest disappointment in the announcement was the lack of improved cooking. I was really looking forward to that one. 

The aurora, new areas, interiors, etc. all look gorgeous so it's clear the dev team haven't been slacking off though ;)

It also be interesting to see how the NPCs interact in the end. 

I agree, I want stews man!

Archived