A civilized discussion about the news...

Docterrok

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like a rabbit ranch.  Plenty of protein and fur.

As for the best weapon.  It's the spear, of course, which can be crafted by hardening the point of a sharp stick with fire.  <.<

I still think the cartography idea can be great.  They'd just have to make the implementation abstract enough that it's not an automap and yet still remain useful.

I didn't think much about the cartography, though I would have loved it before I found Whiteberry and her maps (don't visit her twitter page if you're on a diet). But 2 new areas in story mode - I love the idea of going somewhere new, risking one's chilly ass to sketch a few more lines to make sense of the world. Yeah..

1 minute ago, Jytton Lames said:

I didn't think much about the cartography, though I would have loved it before I found Whiteberry and her maps (don't visit her twitter page if you're on a diet). But 2 new areas in story mode - I love the idea of going somewhere new, risking one's chilly ass to sketch a few more lines to make sense of the world. Yeah..

Good point. Despite what I said earlier, I might end up using cartography just for the sake of having a mission. Survival (sandbox) has for a long time needed more to do in the late game after all of the initial needs are met, clothing/tools crafted, and supplies stockpiled. Mapping out all regions of the world would be far more time-consuming than all of those things I imagine, so I may enjoy it after all. Hmm...

10 hours ago, Ruruwawa said:

@Docterrok Thanks for starting this thread.  The forums have been overrun with folks giving feedback to Hinterland about marketing, but I want to discuss the new info.

Where to begin!  LOVED so much of what I saw in the video.

For starters, the new detailed interiors look awesome!  Just speaking for myself, but I feel this will improve the immersion.  (The outdoors has always felt super immersive to me, indoors not as much.)

interior.thumb.jpg.5b209a99578471c75d862e7496f05f94.jpg

New locations galore --  the explorer in me rejoices.  I'll put these in a spoiler tag so folks can choose to be surprised later.

Reveal hidden contents

milton.thumb.jpg.8cd42cb384d8ca2b73535990182893c7.jpg

ooh, such loot density!  *listens for wolves*

store.thumb.jpg.9ec9418b1ba6b95290fc525a423489e1.jpg

Are those kayak paddles on the pegboard?

warehouse.thumb.jpg.6cdce76b8e7614233094c80a51855074.jpg

And we complained about the dilapidated state of the Mountaineer's Hut :D

They said a while back that these interiors would be released on Story Mode release. Hopefully that has changed. But this time they actually told us so don't act surprised if this isn't in the update.

Just now, ridankrad said:

Good point. Despite what I said earlier, I might end up using cartography just for the sake of having a mission. Survival (sandbox) has for a long time needed more to do in the late game after all of the initial needs are met, clothing/tools crafted, and supplies stockpiled. Mapping out all regions of the world would be far more time-consuming than all of those things I imagine, so I may enjoy it after all. Hmm...

Very true about late game, even in Interloper though it is better. But I was thinking the same - I never get 100% locations visited because there's no point in risking going to some of the dead end parts. Well, now there is.

This is really cheering me up in a counter-revolutionary way. Politeness! Speculation! Rabbit Stew!

Personally? I was expecting the last major update AND release date and teaser.

As I logged onto facebook to see the news at work, (i had to clock in right as the countdown ended) I felt a bit let down. even expressed this to my coworkers, whom are also into this game, and they had the same reaction. however. it's revived the hype for me. the trailer looks awesome and I watched it 5 times in a row. and I literally can't wait for it. that countdown did more for me than I expected it to. it still worked, even though it wasn't what was expected. but no matter. I'm so looking forward to it.

@Cantousent: From what I understand from the notes on the new site cartography requires harvesting charcoal and marking down locations as you find him. Raph actually says that cartography is completely optional and the quality of your map will be proportional to how much effort you put into it ;) 

6 minutes ago, cloudsoda said:

HOLD UP, THERE'S AURORAS NOW?

Highly doubtful until the release of story mode on August 1. For the survivor (sandbox) update later this month (or early next month), I would expect nothing more than what was officially announced on the dev diary. The reason some people are talking about the aurora is only because they were shown in the new trailer video that was released on May 4. Hope that clarifies things for you.

1 hour ago, Docterrok said:

I really hope we aren't able to farm rabbits, that'd make food obtaining too easy.

I've been wondering about that.  I wonder how the game will deal with stunning a rabbit, NOT killing it, and then bringing the rabbit inside a house.  It'll be interesting to see that mechanic in action.

7 minutes ago, Docterrok said:

I'm just excited about throwing rocks. Caveman style...

I wonder if the rocks will have any effect on a bear. I'm guessing that they'll just make it mad, but perhaps there will be a small chance of making it run away instead.

Just now, ridankrad said:

I wonder if the rocks will have any effect on a bear. I'm guessing that they'll just make it mad, but perhaps there will be a small chance of making it run away instead.

If that rock was boulder sized...

1 minute ago, ridankrad said:

I'd bet not, based on their having stated that it's meant as an "early game defense," but we'll see.

1 hour ago, Docterrok said:

I really hope we aren't able to farm rabbits, that'd make food obtaining too easy.

Agreed, we were just kidding! Be nice to have a pet though. (Emergency rations?)

Edit, oh well done for starting this sane thread buddy!

I was close to open a topic suggesting stone throwing the other day, before the countdown finished, so when I saw they were introducing it in the game I felt relieved. It really makes a lot of sense to have in this game.

A bit disappointed about not having the moose or the cooking, but I have to admit this is because I was "infected" by the enthusiasm of the community about these features. I actually didn't even consider cooking or moose being in the next update until I saw it in the forums.

2 hours ago, Kyopaxa said:

I am actually happy about this ambiguous one too:

"Tons of Bug Fixes and Optimization. 
Holy cow we’ve fixed a lot of bugs over the past few months. TONS."

I agree, I hope that lag will be reduced as well.

22 hours ago, Cantousent said:

Sounds like a rabbit ranch.  Plenty of protein and fur.

As for the best weapon.  It's the spear, of course, which can be crafted by hardening the point of a sharp stick with fire.  <.<

I still think the cartography idea can be great.  They'd just have to make the implementation abstract enough that it's not an automap and yet still remain useful.

I don't know about you, but I'd put scrap metal at the end of my spear and give it a wicked sharp edge. I actually made a video on the subject of you check out my channel.

49 minutes ago, Docterrok said:

I don't know about you, but I'd put scrap metal at the end of my spear and give it a wicked sharp edge. I actually made a video on the subject of you check out my channel.

I'm with you, bud.  I'm just pointing out (no pun intended) that the most basic spears are exceedingly easy to make.  Clearly, if you can fashion an arrow head you can likewise fashion a spear head.  ...And even without a forge and a metal spearhead, you can still fire harden the sharpened end of your stick and make it a spear.  There is virtually nothing simpler in the game to do other than successfully build a fire.

Just now, Cantousent said:

I'm with you, bud.  I'm just pointing out (no pun intended) that the most basic spears are exceedingly easy to make.  Clearly, if you can fashion an arrow head you can likewise fashion a spear head.  ...And even without a forge and a metal spearhead, you can still fire harden the sharpened end of your stick and make it a spear.  There is virtually nothing simpler in the game to do other than successfully build a fire.

This.

There is always talk about "immersion"-- but nothing breaks the idea of immersion faster than the idea that I can't defend myself with the simplest tool, ever.  I understand from a gaming standpoint that a spear might make defense too easy and maybe that's why they don't do it.  It also takes coding time and such.  I get that.  But it would make more immersive sense to be able to take a hatchet or knife, carve out/fire harden a spear, walk with it to reduce the possibility of sprains, and defend yourself against mid-sized wildlife.

Archived