About the Countdown -- From Our Creative Director

Admin

Holy, for serious, did somebody murder one of our loved ones, maybe promise us a million dollars just share our personal info?  Allow us to purchase the game and then scrub it?

holy Jesus on a cupcake! Seriously, there are those of us who have waited YEARS for story mode, Y E A R S.  there was no promise or statement anywhere that the game would be ready soon, whoever reads into that or comes to that understanding WITHOUT reading through, that's their fault. And for those acting a lot like a Narcissistic spoiled child, my grandchildren don't even do that. 

We have a date ..... quit your foot stomping and temper tantrums, grow the heck up and act like adults. Y'all are taking the fun out of this forum. 

To those who moderate, I'm sorry, however this behavior is embarrassing as well as discgusting.  

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you Raphael. I'm so proud of myself that I read through as much as I could before contributing a rant and so found this. What upset me greatly earlier was that I was so upset - never was much of a fan boy, too old now, but this game... YOUR game, shared with us for a paltry sum, it's something special for me. Anyway, I'll include a bit of my planned rant for humour, a Bart Simpson quote: "You know what would have been better than nothing? ANYTHING!!"

I hope all goes well on the financial front - creatively I have no doubts whatsoever.  

1239 hours played, so far.

2 hours ago, Portals said:

I feel you should really cut the developing team some slack. I feel Hinterland is partly at fault, however, the community was utterly blinded by the potential release following the end of the countdown. I mean, think about it. As hyped and anticipated as Story Mode already is, wouldn't Hinterland take advantage of this and build even more hype by telling us that the countdown was for Story Mode? If they did that, they would have been able to draw out an even larger following of those anticipating the full release of Story Mode but also the complete release of Long Dark as a whole. I feel the vast majority of the community was overhyped for Story Mode, and let this situation blind their vision. They didn't reason on this, seeing the flaws in their theory. Although Hinterland could have handled this situation differently, I feel the community is also at fault. All and all, Story Mode will be released and this misunderstanding WILL be a thing of the pass. I was very satisfied with the information regarding Story Mode at the end of the countdown, and am excited as ever for the release of Story Mode. Thank you Hinterland! :D

@ Portals ~ You nailed it! Could not of said it better myself so hats off to you. Sure this could of been handled differently and we all make mistakes. The community is also at fault for really getting this hyped up more than it should of been. Everyone who plays this game wants the Story Mode released and in a way expects it to happen sooner rather than later. We all get that including myself. We have been waiting for a long time and we, the community, get very excited when we see some news from the Devs. I have always said this before and will say it again, I would rather wait for a finished product than something thrown together and released way to early. This game has the potential to be an Epic Game and with over 1400 hours invested so far I can wait a little longer. So please cut them some slack and thank you Hinterland for this awesome game.

So much hate and I can't understand why. I mean they didn't actually promise anything No new update or story mode it was down to us for why we all feel a little disappointed

Love the game and the creators

14 minutes ago, Trixie said:

So much hate and I can't understand why. I mean they didn't actually promise anything No new update or story mode it was down to us for why we all feel a little disappointed

It is not the fact that they promised us anything (you are right, they didn't!). But they made us belive that they will come a new update and during 22 days they never said a word. That's the point.

Honestly, we've seen these moves before. No Mans Sky pulled this stunt too. Commentators such as Totalbiscuit and Jim Sterling have remarked on this kind of thing extensively. 

First off you left us a link to a countdown with a very misleading statement: "There will be one more Sandbox update before Story Mode launches. More details about that update will be available soon. The team continues to be hard at work, creating the best experience we can for you. We appreciate your patience while we do so."

What did you think people were going to pull from that? Not a trailer and website launch. Not a PS4 announcement either. They were expecting exactly what you mentioned there.  Two very big updates in the span of a month, one to come out before the other. That's how that reads, even to me. You started the hype train saying nothing afterwards, and knowing exactly what was coming at the end. People were posting "I'm taking a day off work for this!" and you didn't stop them know full well this announcement wasn't worth losing a day's wage over. Instead you blindly allowed it to continue. How did you think people were going to react?

You needed to pay attention and not set the hype train to 'cruise control' and hope that meant 'self driving', because it derailed and crashed in a rather spectacular fashion.  

The community isn't blameless either. We should've questioned, we shouldn't have given into the hype considering this isn't the first time hinterlands pulled little hype stunts on us. My friend said it best:

Friend: some games take advantage of their fanbase like that
Friend: get them hyped and excited
Friend: and then pull bitch moves knowing full well that there will still be plenty of people that'll keep playing no matter how mad others get

It's true. Everyone will still be here at the end of the day. I knew it wasn't gonna be an update when there was no sandbox updated released as of yesterday.  I don't follow the forms much anymore. I only knew about the countdown timer because of a friend. I love the updates to sandbox, I'll keep playing because I like the came. It's one of the few that my dinosaur of a computer can handle, but I'm going to peace out of the forums, and just let steam notify me of updates when they are actually downloading. It's safer that way.

Hope things are settling down. The forums are still a bit salty but I'm hoping that will calm down in a day for two. Honestly, I just started playing after over a month off. Burned myself out a little finally getting a couple of 100 plus day runs in Interloper. I had been semi-following the steam forum and saw all the hype building and wondered if the community was building itself up for a let down. Get a good nights sleep and get back at it tomorrow. For me, tomorrow looks like a perfect day to look for a road with lots of curves (new motorcycle).

29 minutes ago, athikers said:

Hope things are settling down. The forums are still a bit salty but I'm hoping that will calm down in a day for two. Honestly, I just started playing after over a month off. Burned myself out a little finally getting a couple of 100 plus day runs in Interloper. I had been semi-following the steam forum and saw all the hype building and wondered if the community was building itself up for a let down. Get a good nights sleep and get back at it tomorrow. For me, tomorrow looks like a perfect day to look for a road with lots of curves (new motorcycle).

BE CAREFUL  - I don't mean to preach but I've lost two wonderful young guys I knew off those bloody things, not close friends but still, the waste. Sorry, just had to.

3 hours ago, LonelySurvivor said:

Nothing wrong with the countdown itself if...

1) You would have stated that the countdown was for the new website

2) If you, during the countdown, would have not stated like if it was completely unrelated "one more sandbox update coming before story"

3) If you, during the countdown, would not have stated "buy now because it is going out of EA

4) If you, during the countdown, would not completely ignored all the threads that were being made on the wrong direction

5) If you, during the countdown, controlled the message

Unless of course - you did control the message. Because it is not a countdown screw up, its a chain of events that feels too coincidental to be a coincidence and therefore make it somewhat hard to believe this was a simple mistake. And also a bit hard to take the apology at face value tbh.

I hate all this useless nattering. At least here is a post that lists precisely what he feels upset about. It's ok to feel upset. Calling names is just rude. In our Facebook forum, you get ONE warning. Then you are out. NO SLAGGING. Here on Hinterland they let a lot of this go. This is a public forum for everyone; on Facebook, we are a club for fans. We have our own rules.

There is no rule in marketing that says you have to say what you are having a countdown for. A countdown is a powerful marketing tool. Deal with it. O.o

There was indeed an announcement for those active in this forum stating that the game is going out of Early Access and that the last chance for a discounted Steam price was last week. I missed that myself but tough luck. I do plan on buying a second Early Access for myself and my son so that we can both play online at once. We also want to go head-to-head on other Steam games. I could have saved $10 I suppose and maybe there will be one or more chances to buy it on midweek madness. I heartily recommend that you read the FAQ that came in your Hinterland Newsletter today.

I read the countdown message carefully. I noted what it did NOT say. I didn't get excited however some of us speculated; we also said "Who knows?" Hey, it's not my first time around the block, friends. I  have always maintained just one thing in my messages on this forum: BE PATIENT. It takes time to make a good product; it takes time for the marketing announcements to come out. Note that PC Mag featured the news of the release date TODAY and that's why there could not be mention of it prior to that. Probably PC Mag and others had a deal about no leaking information on their scoop.

Managing expectations is a legitimate tool that we use in the support and quality assurance field. I'm glad that Raphael owned that. It's mighty large of him to do that IMHO. Not every CEO is so humble. Would I have done the same in  his shoes? I probably would have. He cannot read everything that goes down in this forum. It's silly to think he can. Hindsight is 20/20.

I am citing this post as a legitimate way of providing feedback when you are feeling emotionally upset; the poster used his cognitive ability to analyze what was upsetting him and stated it positively in terms that were constructive. He identified the behaviors he did not like and stated how they made him feel. He (kinda) asked for legitimate changes in behaviour and he (could have) left it on a positive note for the future. That is the process for giving adult feedback. I respect people with the intelligence to give honest and constructive criticism to me; I value criticism, even when it stings. That is not easy.

In the words of "the Thing" "'Nuff said"
NbZ9KzA.jpg

5 minutes ago, SteveP said:

I hate all this useless nattering. At least here is a post that lists precisely what he feels upset about. It's ok to feel upset. Calling names is just rude. In our Facebook forum, you get ONE warning. Then you are out. NO SLAGGING. Here on Hinterland they let a lot of this go. This is a public forum for everyone; on Facebook, we are a club for fans. We have our own rules.

There is no rule in marketing that says you have to say what you are having a countdown for. A countdown is a powerful marketing tool. Deal with it. O.o

There was indeed an announcement for those active in this forum stating that the game is going out of Early Access and that the last chance for a discounted Steam price was last week. I missed that myself but tough luck. I do plan on buying a second Early Access for myself and my son so that we can both play online at once. We also want to go head-to-head on other Steam games. I could have saved $10 I suppose and maybe there will be one or more chances to buy it on midweek madness. I heartily recommend that you read the FAQ that came in your Hinterland Newsletter today.

I read the countdown message carefully. I noted what it did NOT say. I didn't get excited however some of us speculated; we also said "Who knows?" Hey, it's not my first time around the block, friends. I  have always maintained just one thing in my messages on this forum: BE PATIENT. It takes time to make a good product; it takes time for the marketing announcements to come out. Note that PC Mag featured the news of the release date TODAY and that's why there could not be mention of it prior to that. Probably PC Mag and others had a deal about no leaking information on their scoop.

Managing expectations is a legitimate tool that we use in the support and quality assurance field. I'm glad that Raphael owned that. It's mighty large of him to do that IMHO. Not every CEO is so humble. Would I have done the same in  his shoes? I probably would have. He cannot read everything that goes down in this forum. It's silly to think he can. Hindsight is 20/20.

I am citing this post as a legitimate way of providing feedback when you are feeling emotionally upset; the poster used his cognitive ability to analyze what was upsetting him and stated it positively in terms that were constructive. He identified the behaviors he did not like and stated how they made him feel. He (kinda) asked for legitimate changes in behaviour and he (could have) left it on a positive note for the future. That is the process for giving adult feedback. I respect people with the intelligence to give honest and constructive criticism to me; I value criticism, even when it stings. That is not easy.

In the words of "the Thing" "'Nuff said"
NbZ9KzA.jpg

The mental gymnastics here are absolutely stunning, shall we defend any company that uses disingenuous business practices just because we like their product?

Shameful

It had been very frustrating at first, then I change my mind, and understand some little things, like Sell an early access copy at 50% off, a few days before to release the official version.. I think that some things got out of control, in both sides, developers and the community, sorry fellas but your reaction is like if you have seen your girlfriend fu%&g your best friend... 

I will keep playing tld, even if hinterland disappear, that is the risk when you buy an early access product.

bye and keep calm

I for one thought the trailer looked super exciting and beautiful. I am especially looking forward to the aurora! 

But I did get up at at 3am (when the countdown reached 0 here) so I was a bit disappointed there was nothing to play (yes, I had hoped for the sandbox update).

I love the game and it's the best value game I've ever bought. Its given me many hundreds of hours of entertainment for the $9.99 USD I paid for it, so I've never felt the devs were out for my money. If it was never updated again, I'd be really sad but it would still be one of my favourite games of all time and I'd still play it, which is really saying something. I live in a big city but grew up in the country. The city overwhelms me and I really long for (and sometimes really need) the solitude and wildness of my childhood. So I step into The Long Dark. It is an incredibly calming and fulfilling experience for me. The fact they have created something that manages to evoke that in me is pretty incredible, IMHO.

I am very excited for August 1 and the next sandbox update (and I'm still looking forward to one day being trampled by Moosey and then taking great satisfaction in eating him).

Just my 2 cents (or $9.95 ;)).

16 minutes ago, TinyMouseGirl said:

But I did get up at at 3am (when the countdown reached 0 here) so I was a bit disappointed there was nothing to play (yes, I had hoped for the sandbox update).

I love the game and it's the best value game I've ever bought. Its given me many hundreds of hours of entertainment for the $9.99 USD I paid for it, so I've never felt the devs were out for my money. If it was never updated again, I'd be really sad but it would still be one of my favourite games of all time and I'd still play it, which is really saying something. I live in a big city but grew up in the country. The city overwhelms me and I really long for (and sometimes really need) the solitude and wildness of my childhood. So I step into The Long Dark. It is an incredibly calming and fulfilling experience for me. The fact they have created something that manages to evoke that in me is pretty incredible, IMHO.

Waves to the fellow Aussie... B|

39 minutes ago, Loppysaurusrex said:

The mental gymnastics here are absolutely stunning, shall we defend any company that uses disingenuous business practices just because we like their product?

Shameful

We support the company because they are making a genuine work of art, not pumping out crap for profit, like other corrupt companies.

The Long Dark is one of my favorite games, and though I was a little sad that new content wasn't released today, you guys at Hinterland did an outstanding job with the story mode trailer.  Thank you for the hard work you've done and continue to do.

40 minutes ago, TinyMouseGirl said:

I am very excited for August 1 and the next sandbox update (and I'm still looking forward to one day being trampled by Moosey and then taking great satisfaction in eating him).

If I am not wrong, there be an sandbox update late may..

"Besides that, I promised one more Sandbox update before Story Mode launches. Later this month, we’ll open the Test Branch with an update to the game called FAITHFUL CARTOGRAPHER" ( http://www.thelongdark.com/news/posts/light-at-the-end/ )

So... I will be more happy....

52 minutes ago, TinyMouseGirl said:

Its given me many hundreds of hours of entertainment for the $9.99 USD I paid for it

Now is offered by USD $34.99, and is still in early access..

"Buy now and get instant access to Survivor Mode
(on Steam and XBox One only)

Early Access to THE LONG DARK gives you immediate access to Survivor Mode, with Episodes 1-5 of WINTERMUTE (Story Mode) included in the price. Episodes 1 & 2 launch on August 1st, 2017."

Just now, mic said:

If I am not wrong, there be an sandbox update late may..

"Besides that, I promised one more Sandbox update before Story Mode launches. Later this month, we’ll open the Test Branch with an update to the game called FAITHFUL CARTOGRAPHER" ( http://www.thelongdark.com/news/posts/light-at-the-end/ )

So... I will be more happy....

Oh, I meant (1) very excited for the 2 story episodes on August 1st and (2) the sandbox update (in hopefully late May).

Probably most excited by the update for Sandbox/Survivor Mode. The aurora really does look incredible.

I have enjoyed the game thoroughly (900+ hours) and look forward to the new content.

The trailer looks great.

Some of the negative reactions are disappointing.  I clicked on the profiles of a couple of the more hysterical posters on Stream, some had more hours in TLD then anything else in their inventory, yet they appeared as apoplectic as a jilted teen on prom night.  Some perspective is lacking there.

The Oxford Dictionary has just updated the definition of 'First World Problem' - Feeling your expectations were betrayed by a video game countdown timer.

Keep up the great work!

Ernest

It's just dawning on me now that a PS4 release could be very good for us all in the long run. Bigger fan base = more sequels. I still want my Birch Bark Canoe Odyssey set in Spring, maybe with a small dog to look after me and vice versa. Needs a lot of cash to make those huge lake and river maps - Come on in PlayStation, the water's fine!  ...a bit cold, never mind. 

People saying "they're in it for the money" make me smile. Of course they are, you can't make art without cash. Even poets need paper and pen but game devs need huge overhead and trained people to make their mark. They have to find backing and support where they can and juggle formats as they strive to finance their next project.

I hope it grows into a solid franchise we'll be hearing from for many years, and that those people who rewrote steam reviews to be nasty will change there minds and come back to the fold.

Raphael, I did detect the sardonic tone in your apology but I thanked you anyway because you said you'd go back and do it differently if you could. Mistake forgiven, fresh start bestowed. I'd suggest putting one thing into the game this week as a sign of contrition. Maybe those stones for bunnies or whatever would fit in at this stage,  A token of respect to your adopted children to offset any damage done by this sneaky PR gambit.

Or burn the candle at both ends over the weekend and give us a glitchy, half rendered moose that falls down and dies when it hears a gunshot. Seriously you should put something in to help ease tensions. I used to love coming here to talk about the game, felt like I was almost part of the team, even suggested arrows be found in carcasses and we got them!

Be nice if we could get back to that special place. I miss Bethany, does anyone know how she's doing?

We should bombard Hinterland with suggestions for the sandbox release and stop arguing like the Peoples Front of Judea in Life of Brian - SPLITTTERS!!!   :x

Archived