About the Countdown -- From Our Creative Director

Admin

From our creative director, Raphael:

"I'm really sorry to hear so many of you are disappointed about the info and content we released today.

The countdown -- that was my idea. I only had the best of intentions in trying to build up some excitement around our new trailer, the next update (coming to test branch later this month), and offering a solid release date for Story Mode, as I promised I would. I can see now that it didn't have the desired effect -- building up a sense of community excitement around what's just around the corner, and also being able to invite a whole new group of players, which we're really excited about. Not because we don't like our existing players. Just because...a bigger family is more fun.

I can see that we've lost some community good will, which goes against every intention we've had over the past years. I'll do everything I can to earn it back. If I could go back and do this again, I wouldn't use the countdown to try to build anticipation for the release date announcement, the new trailer, and the news about what's in the next update (coming to the Test Branch in a few weeks).

Please remember that the community team at Hinterland works under my guidance, so if you are angry and want to vent, please feel free to direct it at me, and not at them.
Meanwhile, our work continues...

We're always learning."

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After the 2 Week timer Hinterland gave us. A 1 month timer, a sh***y new HUD and a trailer filled with 2D animations (because hinterland can't do 3D animations. It's beyond their skill level)

Hinterland has hit a new low.

And of corse Raphael is hiding behind a bot. Why not come out and say it yourself?

4 minutes ago, admin said:

and also being able to invite a whole new group of players, which we're really excited about. Not because we don't like our existing players. Just because...

that paycheck smells so tasty and we already have your money.

4 minutes ago, admin said:

Please remember that the community team at Hinterland works under my guidance, so if you are angry and want to vent, please feel free to direct it at me, and not at them

Then stop hiding behind a bot and face us.

why is it so important in which way Raph´s words are displayed here. he even apologises for the move not having met planned goals. how old are you guys? looking forward to playing the next update! <3

Okay, I'm upset too, but he's not "hiding behind a bot" - it's clear he can access this account so it's not like he can't just see it. He posted this same stuff on r/TheLongDark using his own personal account.

I'm not going to be defending Hinterland either, but let's be fair at least.

Disappointed, meh. If I were perfect and had never had a great idea go bust, I would be throwing a hissy fit. It's still a great game and I have no doubts that it will just get better. A few rueful smiles over a beer this evening might be in order, but nothing to lose sleep over. 

Thanks for the explanation Rapahel. I love this game and I won't stop playing it because of this. Waiting for that next update and story mode release! Keep it up!

And I don't care if your user doesn't say Raphael, ffs...

Thanks for the heads up. Although I didn't expected a new Sandbox update or the release of Storymode I kinda hoped for it (like a child before Christmas).

I get why people are disappointed and I'm sad this has happened to this great community. Let's be fair people: how many online community's do exist where your opinion isn't bashed by trolls? I love this community. But what happened today (or tonight) is a sad thing.

Let's all learn from it and move on. We're all humans after all.
The Long Dark still is a great game to my opinion. :)

This was a marketing mis-step, no doubt about it. I hope you can learn from it moving forward, and you continue making a killer game.

I suggest that Raph you take some time away from the toxicity of Twitter and the forums and focus on the work ahead. The complainers have a very valid concern, but listening to an immature audience react aggressively to that concern is not going to help. What happened, happened and you understand their grievances. A portion of the community won't be able to focus on the good stuff to come in the future, but you can, so please do.

Looking forward to Late May and August 1!

This "apology" falls flat. There were many, many, many people posting about their expectations for the timer. What it could mean, what it should mean, and all the reasons why a countdown to a countdown would have been a horrible idea.

There was SO much feedback on this, that to say "it was made with best intentions" is somewhere between a partial truth and a flat out lie.

The intent was to get hype. To build sales. If you actually cared about what was being done, you would have listened to all the feedback on these normally very supportive forums. Lots of people (myself included) promoted keeping faith in you and why we thought you wouldn't do something as blatantly stupid as leading on your community.

Apology not accepted.

Hi Raphael

The PC will get the test branch end of may early june. If that lasts 2-4 weeks of testing then it would only leave about 4 weeks for full release. With MS cert etc, will the xbox players get the sandbox update or will we have to wait until the full release in August.

Thanks

Archived