Suggestion: Improve aiming for archery

Howdy gang -

I've been moving from using the hunting rifle to using the bow and my aiming and shooting ability has improved  quite a bit.

However, the current aiming point in TLD is a small white dot.  This would be a great tool if the majority of our time was spent shooting game in forests or caves bur ALL time is spent shooting at animals in a snowy environment.  Therefore, it is often difficult to even SEE the aiming spot because of the surrounding snow and ice.

I suggest keeping the white dot, but include a red or black circle around the white dot.  It doesn't have to be very large - but this inclusion would make it a lot easier to aim.

I am inclined to agree with @Ultimateauthority here.  If the aiming reticle is going to stay, giving the white dot a contrasting outline would be a great improvement.

As for @Dirmagnos' comment, I can see his point as well, but I would modify that thought as follows.

• Remove the dot by settings option or remove it in the higher difficulty levels.
  • If the dot is removed, then enable crouched bow shooting as well. As I understand it, the devs were opposed to crouched bow hunting because they thought it too easy. So if the targeting reticle is removed, thereby making aiming with the bow more difficult, then crouched firing should be reconsidered.
  • If the dot is removed for the bow, then the 'pseudo' zoom provided with the hunting rifle should be removed under the same conditions.

With that said now, let me be clear, I am not advocating the dot removal, just saying that if it is going to be removed, then the same degree of 'pedestrian' removal should apply to all weapons.

Just my 2¢/£/€/¥/₽/₩

(I'm an equal opportunity monetary system supporter :) )

Technically rifle aim pseudo-zoom is not an issue. When person aims down sight it results in certain degree of tunnel vision, making anything in small area feel sharper and better defined, as mind processes only small area, allowing more into from that zone to be worked on.

On 5/5/2017 at 9:51 PM, Dirmagnos said:

Technically rifle aim pseudo-zoom is not an issue. When person aims down sight it results in certain degree of tunnel vision, making anything in small area feel sharper and better defined, as mind processes only small area, allowing more into from that zone to be worked on.

Thank you.. I was wondering how to explain why the mini-zoom wasn't an issue in my opinion, and you nailed it beautifully.

i think that just the angle of the arrow needs to be changed rather than change the white dot. one more similar to what was shown in the trailer would be better than what we have now. 

now im not saying that hinterland wont give us all the things shown in trailer, but lets face it many devs often over hype their game. (thus todd howard is known as todd the liar, there was the whole no mans sky thing, etc) all in all i just dont want expect we will get a feature until it arrives and that is one feature that would help the game.

better bow camera angle shown here.

Hey everybody, after watching that video clip I concur that having the better bow angle sighting might be as valuable to the bow firing as the sighting down the gun barrel is with the gun. This might remove the need for the reticle completely.

Thanks for giving me a course correction. :)

My 2¢

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/18/2017 at 4:54 AM, L² said:

Hey everybody, after watching that video clip I concur that having the better bow angle sighting might be as valuable to the bow firing as the sighting down the gun barrel is with the gun. This might remove the need for the reticle completely.

Thanks for giving me a course correction. :)

My 2¢

Yes, we've been working on the bow and first person presence (not a spoiler). Improvements will arrive with the next update. For now you're more than welcome to head over to the test branch subforum to ask about it specifically, or try it out for yourself if you are on Steam. 

Archived