POLL for Character Customization

Docterrok

Character Customization  

41 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I voted no simply because of the burden it places on the devs for very little return. In a 1st person game, we very rarely see 'ourselves' and as Salty Crackers said, it isn't our story; we are playing as Will or Astrid taking their role in the narrative. In the sandbox it makes even less sense; we are never addressed nor do we ever see ourselves, save from the clothes menu, where I just don't need that.

why did i say no character creation?

simply look to an elderscrolls or fallout game. 2 hours spent building character and in the end it didnt even matter. that or it did matter, but since i have no idea what i am doing i am punished for it later. (specifically refering to morrowind and oblivion stat choices/birth signs)

also i dont believe that hinterlands is wanting us to make our own story as much as they are wanting to show us their story of will mackenzie and whatever other characters will end up appearing. 

when character creation is done i believe it should be simple so that i can move on to enjoying the game but in this case i dont think that building my own character is the point of the game, but rather to witness and play through the story of someone else. in witcher we play the story of geralt of rivia, in COD we play as a specific (nonessiental?) soldier, and in tome raider we play as laura croft. in all of these games we were unable to build our own character and they still turned out great so why should we think that hinterlands must have a character creation?

if we are refering to specifically to sandbox or challenge modes then one must ask why? these characters most likely will not survive very long and the journal mechanic provides enough role playing character for me. 

tldr: not right/out of place for this type of game. 

On 3.5.2017 at 3:28 AM, Carbon said:

I voted no simply because of the burden it places on the devs for very little return. In a 1st person game, we very rarely see 'ourselves' and as Salty Crackers said, it isn't our story; we are playing as Will or Astrid taking their role in the narrative. In the sandbox it makes even less sense; we are never addressed nor do we ever see ourselves, save from the clothes menu, where I just don't need that.

there could be a mirror image in some houses of ourselfs :)

No and dont. Reason is simple and already stated above - its pointless.

Devs already added to game crap like hands, that i consider only took away from game, as they dint bother to also add player remembering what he used last or what should be equipped by default in each slot, so when i need storm lantern is now lengthily process of taking out flares, putting away flares, taking out lantern, that takes over 5 seconds in total. Time wasteful and irritating feature that gave me absolutely nothing from positive standpoint. Or rifle and bow. Or decoys(WTF does player drops a perfectly good piece of meat or intestines, while i have 2 pieces of spoiled meat that would be perfect for this). Etc

8 hours ago, Dirmagnos said:

No and dont. Reason is simple and already stated above - its pointless.

Devs already added to game crap like hands, that i consider only took away from game, as they dint bother to also add player remembering what he used last or what should be equipped by default in each slot, so when i need storm lantern is now lengthily process of taking out flares, putting away flares, taking out lantern, that takes over 5 seconds in total. Time wasteful and irritating feature that gave me absolutely nothing from positive standpoint. Or rifle and bow. Or decoys(WTF does player drops a perfectly good piece of meat or intestines, while i have 2 pieces of spoiled meat that would be perfect for this). Etc

You make a good point.

This was a tough question for me, and I'm glad to see it come up! Mostly because I love character customization. I'll spend an hour+ in a Bethesda or BioWare game designing my characters and have fun doing it. But given the current state of TLD and its minimalist approach to sandbox physical presence, my ambivalence about this hypothetical feature is pragmatic: I'd just rather the devs focus their limited energy on other things. (Not to say I wouldn't be happy if they did implement more customization. It might increase our emotional attachment to our sandbox characters; grieving them would be a little more personal than "NOOO, MY 500 DAYS RUN!")

If Hinterland were to create some kind of "share your survivor" online suite after launch, now then -- then I could understand why it might be worth it for them to let us get more creative with those sandbox characters as part of a community experience.

This feature would definitely be fun for detail-obsessed players like me, but imo, ultimately shouldn't be a priority for the sandbox designers.

Maybe. I like customization in every game, but actually, only we can see is our hands and paper doll. I think the dynamic first person ( clothes in 1st person ) is more important. Mostly paper doll, it shouldn't be hard, just as simply sprites as layers, nothing hard, but they will need to make every nose compatible with every skin color. Also, the hands. Simply the color. Good idea, but not really so important. Maybe sometime

On 5/5/2017 at 6:31 PM, Dirmagnos said:

(WTF does player drops a perfectly good piece of meat or intestines, while i have 2 pieces of spoiled meat that would be perfect for this)

So far as I'm aware (and my limited testing backs this up) that problem was fixed a while ago.. dropping a decoy will now automatically drop the "smelliest" item you're carrying.

28 minutes ago, JAFO said:

So far as I'm aware (and my limited testing backs this up) that problem was fixed a while ago.. dropping a decoy will now automatically drop the "smelliest" item you're carrying.

Dropping "smelliest" item is not a fix, if i have specific item that i want to be dropped. Plus, im fairly sure that meat near spoilage is far more rancid than relatively fresh guts.

On 5/7/2017 at 7:18 AM, Dirmagnos said:

Dropping "smelliest" item is not a fix, if i have specific item that i want to be dropped. Plus, im fairly sure that meat near spoilage is far more rancid than relatively fresh guts.

I feel like this is detracting from the original post.

On 5/6/2017 at 4:43 AM, Docterrok said:

I just don't see how character customization would be harmful to sandbox gameplay...

I'm not sure that anyone is making that argument. Not harmful, but quite pointless overall and in light of other more useful features the devs could be working on, character customization should be very low on the list.

3 hours ago, Carbon said:

I'm not sure that anyone is making that argument. Not harmful, but quite pointless overall and in light of other more useful features the devs could be working on, character customization should be very low on the list.

Spears... *sniff*

It wouldn't bother me, I like stuff like that, but this also reminds of something that made me lmao. There's a letsplayer who plays two or three games at a time and religiously uploads each game on the days that he is supposed to. On the weekend he'll try other games for just an hour or so, just to sample them. I got him to finally try TLD when it went on sale for the countdown. He liked the idea of a survival game since he loves exploring and looting and such, but explained he has no kind of time to get involved in one right now.

He had fun trying it out though but much to my dismay started out in 'Nomad', although I told him he had to sandbox first. His reasoning for that was, that for only an hour of play, one of the challenges might have more of a story. He's wrong about that but anyway, that's what he thought. Anyway, he enjoyed it. After he looted all of the farmstead he went out and walked around in a blizzard, which wasn't quitting but he felt he had to do something to have his hour with it interesting. So he walked around in a blizzard for awhile before finally finding the barn, which he walked right past in the storm at first but then doubled back and found it. This is where he figures out that he can use his bedroll there but ends his session with it in the barn.

He plays all games completely blind, won't even research a game, but he did pretty well with figuring things out. He was a little miffed when he found out he couldn't jump, lol. The funny thing was when he figured out the clothing finally. He couldn't figure out how to put clothes on and he was at the clothes menu and I'm watching and screaming at my screen, 'The option at the top, the option at the top', lol. Then he says "Oh, what's this up here?" and he finally clicked the option for paper doll. He takes one look at everything in that menu and then he says "Oh...I didn't know we were a sad clown." :D

Archived