Scanner Sombre

Scanner Sombre is the new First Person Exploration Game set in a cave system...which you explore using LIDAR!

It is intense, inspiring, beautiful, breath catching, scary and possibly the coolest idea ever!

A perfect way to kill time as I wait for that countdown to finish and of course I am recording my game play...w/o commentary.

27 minutes ago, Carbon said:

Trippy! Thanks for sharing that RBR.

You're welcome! Once I've uploaded the 9 parts I've processed...I'll play the remainder...and then process and upload them too.

I LOVE how the LIDAR detector gets upgraded and man the idea and implementation is fantastic!

My only issue is that I've heard the game is pretty short....but it sure is PRETTY!

On 30/04/2017 at 1:15 AM, RossBondReturns said:

Scanner Sombre is the new First Person Exploration Game set in a cave system...which you explore using LIDAR!

It is intense, inspiring, beautiful, breath catching, scary and possibly the coolest idea ever!

A perfect way to kill time as I wait for that countdown to finish and of course I am recording my game play...w/o commentary.

That does look neat,

Got to try that one :)

6 hours ago, Carbon said:

No commentary on your great work RBR, but dang, not much going on. Seems like a great idea stretched too thin...?

On my old channel I used to do commentary but then I found I oftentimes focused on the commentary to the suffering of my game play so now it's always pure game play.

Actually if you ask me it wasn't stretched for long enough to get too thin. I would've preferred, (and I'm not big on horror) for there to have been more of a horror element than there was. When the major horror aspects happened they were great. I loved the idea of not being able to see the shape of a room if I didn't paint it in LIDAR, and the sound design was exceptional. However I would've loved it had the horror aspects returned for a final tension inducing exercise after seemingly arriving at the top so to speak. Kinda like the Unrated cut of The Descent, which in a way it does do I suppose.

That said the ending itself is ballsy as heck, and the fact that your map of the cave used in game once you get the upgrade is made up of every LIDAR dot you placed is insanely cool. And that you can go back and pan, zoom, etc that map and essentially return to the beginning of the game by looking at it is also fantastic.

As for the LIDAR "painting" it's done really well. At first it takes forever and that's great because at the start your tension level is high, so as each cavern or chamber slowly resolves itself you're looking for anything out of place. Combined with the unreal sound design, this game is only 2nd best to TLD as far as I'm concerned, you could potentially navigate a whole lot of the game by just using sound cues. Yet the whole beauty of the game is, and Introversion Software knows this, letting the player choose how much of the caverns they wish to reveal. Scanner Sombre is drop dead gorgeous, the unreal sound combined with the colorful revelation of the darkness is stellar. The fact that I actually wanted the game to be longer is saying quite a lot.

An Addendum

Upon completion Introversion Software does EVERYTHING right.

1. You can now select any level. So you can play your favorite parts over and over again.
  2. New Game + mode: Replay the entire game with the fully modded out scanner!

Extras: Two Prototype Games are unlocked Wrong Wire....and the Proto of the first level of Scanner Sombre!

Would I recommend it? Hell yeah!

Would I record commentary again on some of my videos? Maybe.

Ah, RBR, I misspoke. I didn't mean 'you speaking' commentary. What I should have said was "I have nothing to say regarding your great work RBR, but there isn't much going on in the game."

I like that you don't speak! In fact, that may be the strongest point inn this series! I am a big fan of letting the game do the talking in play-through videos, so yes, I simply wasn't paying attention to context with my post. My apologies for not being clearer and again, good job and thanks for your efforts. B|

Awesome. I will be uploading and finishing uploading other games as well. As soon as they are available I'll be making threads for them...especially the more unusual ones. I generally get freaked out by playing scarier games...so I'm playing more of those to try and combat my fear lol!

I have F.E.A.R. and F.E.A.R. 2 in the can...and started F.3.A.R. but it's so different and ''arcadey" I probably will not finish it.

Archived