Rise of the King / Copyrights??

MueckE

I just came across this action adventure "Rise of the King" and it looks like someone just copied several elements of the The Long Dark.

Basicly all survival elements are straight out of TLD. Just watch how it looks like when the character is walking around in the snow, how he picks up sticks, the sound, wolves/bears ... Surprise - there is a deer carcass and crows above it that make exactly the same sound like in TLD.

Go to 4.20, close your eyes, press play and imagine what you see.

I think it's just you. Walking around in snow and picking up sticks can't be copyrighted. They have done nothing wrong unless they ripped assets directly from TLD , which is very unlikely as I would say that it's unlikely that that game even took any inspiration from TLD. This is not the first time something like this is posted, every time someone else makes a game with snow someone blames them of copying. Even if someone copied all gameplay elements of TLD it would be perfectly legal.

It resembles quite a few medieval fantasy games, except with much better graphics and combat. :D 

TLD was certainly an inspiration, even mentioned on their kickstarter page:

You won’t find the typical orcs, elves and magic fantasy world here. Rise of the King is a more realistic tone, set in a low fantasy setting. Also what you won’t find here is an obsession of stats, gear and levels. We’re about crafting a story driven experience where the adventure itself is the emphasis, rather than ones gear throughout it.

The experience of Rise of the King is best described as The Long Dark meets Sherlock Holmes with the combat of Dark Souls.

3 hours ago, MueckE said:

I just came across this action adventure "Rise of the King" and it looks like someone just copied several elements of the The Long Dark.

Basicly all survival elements are straight out of TLD. Just watch how it looks like when the character is walking around in the snow, how he picks up sticks, the sound, wolves/bears ... Surprise - there is a deer carcass and crows above it that make exactly the same sound like in TLD.

Go to 4.20, close your eyes, press play and imagine what you see.

Thanks for bringing this to attention. Trailer looks interesting. It's obvious they've taken some inspirations from TLD, but I would dare to say they are adding a lot of their own creativity as well. Team, website and kickstarter campaign look credible. I might actually fund this...

It's possible some elements may have been inspired by The Long Dark (we like to think we may have sparked a few imaginations), but we don't think this project has in any way infringed on work. It's super interesting to see winter wilderness survival elements be incorporated into more games, and we welcome them!

Personally, I see a lot of Skyrim influence in this game. Looks like an interesting project.

43 minutes ago, Mel Guille said:

It's possible some elements may have been inspired by The Long Dark (we like to think we may have sparked a few imaginations), but we don't think this project has in any way infringed on work. It's super interesting to see winter wilderness survival elements be incorporated into more games, and we welcome them!

Personally, I see a lot of Skyrim influence in this game. Looks like an interesting project.

This "Rise of the King" game looks like a POS to me...especially compared to Long Dark

3 hours ago, Mel Guille said:

I would certainly say you sparked their imagination.

"The experience of Rise of the King is best described as The Long Dark meets Sherlock Holmes with the combat of Dark Souls."

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1806160598/rise-of-the-king

The Crow audio is definitely bang on IMO.

On 4/26/2017 at 1:30 PM, Mel Guille said:

Personally, I see a lot of Skyrim influence in this game.

by skyrim influence you of course are referring to the focus on cold areas, great landscape and cave design, the desire to learn about the world and exploration, rather than bugged quests, the ability to clip through every wall, and underwhelming boss fights...... right?......................right??? 

(this comment is more playful than anything, i actually love skyrim, but bethesda is known for producing buggy games)

Oh i see a lot of games here, crafting looks exactly like in "the forest" and the deer etc. is directly "inspired" by TLD. What i meant is the sound of the crows, just listen carefully, it's the same as if it just has been copied.

Unity engine game as well, so maybe some stock assets. I don't see much overlap though and certainly nothing that would prompt a call to the lawyer. The wolves look seem pretty lame compared to TLD; that dude would be well dead if it were even 1 Scruffy.

47 minutes ago, Carbon said:

Unity engine game as well, so maybe some stock assets. I don't see much overlap though and certainly nothing that would prompt a call to the lawyer. The wolves look seem pretty lame compared to TLD; that dude would be well dead if it were even 1 Scruffy.

Yeah, the wolf combat looked really, really bad! (and the crow sound-effect was identical to the one TLD.)

It looks quite linear as a game experience, and I'm not really interested in the overall setting - there's too many faux-medieval nonsense games out there as it is, and this one looks pretty cliched at first glance. 

But maybe it'll fill a niche. Maybe it'll even be groundbreaking in some as-yet hidden way. Good luck to them.

Indeed, I hope they can make a go of it. Not my thing really, so I won't be a part of the kickstarter but sure, best of luck to them. It does seem like an abundance of ideas though, which always makes me wary. 50 half-baked or recycled ideas can never make up for the beauty of a unique one well executed.

All or nothing. This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by Thu, May 18 2017 4:27 PM CEST.

It's unlikely this project will get made any time soon, though: they've got seventeen days left to collect $149,500.

They've only managed to collect 1/16th of what they're aiming for, and they've only got little over half a month left.

18 hours ago, MueckE said:

What i meant is the sound of the crows, just listen carefully, it's the same as if it just has been copied.

The crow audio sounds exact. Maybe its for sale as stock.

On a similar note the crows around my town sound exactly like the ones in the Long Dark.   The repetitive cawing from the crows outside had started me to think that the game's crow sound from my audio speakers was calling to the crows outside and vice versa.

Archived