Midweek Madness Sale: Last Chance to Buy The Long Dark at Early Access Pricing

Admin

58ff7bc4b1b50_TLD-MMSALEBanner.thumb.png.20f590bfa087653a15fcf0a60ba5237e.png

Hello everyone,

In collaboration with Valve, The Long Dark will be available for 50% off its current $19.99 Early Access price during this week's Steam "Midweek Madness" sale, which starts today(April 25th).

This is to acknowledge all the community support you've given us over the years, and to offer one last chance to purchase the game at the Early Access price point.

Thanks for your support, and we can't wait to share what's coming next!

- The Hinterland Team

Today is Saturday, so it's unlikely they're working. Tomorrow is Sunday, and Monday is a public holiday (I think. May 1st usually is?). The countdown runs out on Thursday.

I don't think anything's going to be released or even announced before that.

I don't mind the waiting at all: I've got a gem of a game in my Library already, and I'm happy to play it in its current form while Hinterland continue to work on the finishing touches. BUT... I really don't understand or like the policy they've used of releasing half-truths and inferences about what's going to be released and when, especially considering that they clearly decided on a fixed timetable for it a good 3 weeks ago. They'd have been better off not saying anything, in my opinion.

The Steam Sale last week was described as "The last chance to buy the game at Early Access prices". But that's finished now, and the game's still in Early Access and priced accordingly, so that wasn't true. There's a countdown for something coming up next week, and supposedly there's a Sandbox update due before Story Mode. It's difficult to believe now that the countdown is for Story Mode itself, due the short timeframe, and also the fact that most companies like to announce the full release of a new game well beforehand in order to generate interest and maximize initial sales. If Thursday is indeed release day, then I think the secrecy and evasiveness will probably have cost them some of those potential sales (not that that's particularly important to me, given that I already own the game). But I think that's unlikely to be the case anyway.

I just think it's a bit of a weird communication strategy to use, and I don't think it's really helped anyone.

10 minutes ago, Pillock said:

Today is Saturday, so it's unlikely they're working. Tomorrow is Sunday, and Monday is a public holiday (I think. May 1st usually is?). The countdown runs out on Thursday.

I don't think anything's going to be released or even announced before that.

I don't really understand or like the policy they've used of releasing half-truths and inferences about what's going to be released and when, especially considering that they clearly decided on a fixed timetable for it a good 3 weeks ago.

The Steam Sale last week was described as "The last chance to buy the game at Early Access prices". But that's finished now, and the game's still in Early Access and priced accordingly, so that wasn't true. There's a countdown for something coming up next week, and supposedly there's a Sandbox update due before Story Mode. It's difficult to believe now that the countdown is for Story Mode itself, due the short timeframe, and also the fact that most companies like to announce the full release of a new game well beforehand in order to generate interest and maximize initial sales. If Thursday is indeed release day, then I think the secrecy will probably have cost them some of those potential sales (not that that's particularly important to me, given that I already own the game). But I think that's unlikely to be the case anyway.

I just think it's a bit of a weird communication strategy to use, and I don't think it's really helped anyone.

I can see how the language is unclear, but I think it means that was the last time to purchase the game on sale in Early Access.

40 minutes ago, Willkwi said:

I can see how the language is unclear, but I think it means that was the last time to purchase the game on sale in Early Access.

In retrospect, that's clearly what it did mean. But that's fairly meaningless in itself - Early Access could continue for another 6 months and the above would still be true (as long as there wasn't another sale).

But I do think it was misleading, and possibly deliberately so - that's what I don't like. They've pointedly refused to say anything concrete, either to confirm or deny the speculation and expectation that would inevitably arise - expectation that now looks to have been false. They haven't actually lied about anything, and as I said before I have absolutely no problem with having to wait until the game is completely ready. But I do think it's been slightly mischievous, to put it kindly.

Given that the game is constantly described as being a thoughtful and mature experience, I feel their communication since this countdown was launched has been the opposite of that. Indeed, it feels somewhat childish and patronising to me. A mature, thoughtful audience isn't interested in 'pre-Christmas Eve' style hype - it's frustrating rather than exciting.

EDIT: In the end, it doesn't really matter - the game will ship when it's ready, and whenever that is I'm pretty confident it's going to be great! But if the team are interested in honest feedback from their player-base, this is mine.

I agree with Pillock, I never had any problems in waiting as long as necessary, but in both cases (story mode coming out or not in the end of the countdown) it could have been better if it was clear to begin with.

4 hours ago, Pillock said:

May 1st is not a holiday in Canada. We instead have Victoria Day which is near the end of the month ;) 

The game has been in early access for a long time and this is the motivation behind the countdown; a hype generator.

Hinterlands have most certainly had some success already with the game, but not enough to fund the next episode or whatever they are planning to do in the future. They need more sales and need to stir the pot, create a buzz, renew interest. Is this being done at our expense? No, I wouldn't say so. Although many have been in line for a long time waiting for completion, Hinterlands owe only a game, nothing more, nothing less. How they conduct their business isn't part of the deal nor is how they choose to advertise for the release. And I believe that is what they are doing.

From a business perspective, I think it is a smart and rational move. Silence creates buzz and anticipation which is exactly what they need right now for a final push of sales - which let's not forget, at half price this game is an absolute steal - before completion. It's smart and from an economic perspective, necessary. In this sense then, it may do a lot for the developers; more than we may know.

What could they say that would satiate the forum? The only thing people want to know is the answer to the countdown, which, if supplied, would defeat the whole purpose of the countdown and end up in the wild and pop the slowly-inflating hype balloon.

Yes, many of you have waited a long time but I don't think Hinterlands are mistreating anyone, nor neglecting anyone. They are a business and a small one at that. They need to generate as much revenue as possible, so let's be empathetic and patient. If another week is needed to keep the lights on longer so this team can keep making games and/or content for TLD, then fine, no worries, take your time. I hope that sales skyrocket in these last few days and it isn't all for naught.

We can do our part here and pump it up. I have told as many people who would listen about the sale.

Point is it doesn't seem to me that the silence helps a small production to generate more hype or press attention or anything. But maybe you're right who knows I don't have real stats to judge from just feelings.

1 hour ago, togg said:

Point is it doesn't seem to me that the silence helps a small production to generate more hype or press attention or anything. But maybe you're right who knows I don't have real stats to judge from just feelings.

I hope I'm right too and have no privilege to information either mate. I'm just guessing as well, but on the up side. :)

Archived