Forlorn Muskeg Map Strategy

mattyboi

Wondering how many of you spend time bumping around Muskeg, and if so, what strategies do you use? When it first came out I took my long-time Pilgrim sandbox over there and explored it pretty thoroughly (I thought). But for my higher difficulty sandboxes I've mostly just used it for the forge if I'm far away from Desolation Point.

However, now that I have a sandbox that's getting into the late-game, I'm finding I really appreciate what Muskeg has to offer; sticks galore, animals galore, harvestables galore... and it's almost impossible to get cabin fever. I primarily hang out by the poachers camp and make daily runs to wherever I feel like going.

What strategies do you all use for this map?

14 minutes ago, mattyboi said:

What strategies do you all use for this map?

If I was to stay there for an extended period of time, I would probably build a snow shelter in the cave on the Marsh Ridge.  There is plenty of wood up there, along with rabbits and a deer - and no wolves .  Plus an indoor cave with static temperatures is nearby.  Then make trips to the homestead when needed. 

@Timber Wolf I really like that idea. I should probably try to use snow shelters more; historically they've been rare for me as I've tried to conserve cloth as much as possible. But I think Muskeg is an environment where one (or a few) strategically placed could make survival a lot easier.

I usually hang around the static cave on the ledge.  You can build a fire in its entrance which is mostly protected by the wind and just pop into the cave when you need to snooze.  But I also tend to loot the place and leave once I'v gathered what I need.

1 hour ago, Jolan said:

But I also tend to loot the place and leave once I'v gathered what I need.

For most of my sandboxes I've done the same. But for this late-game sandbox I'm finding the map really has merit. It's surprisingly easy to survive with few tools. And once learning the map, there are a few hunting spots that are easy to hunt game.

Also, once you have the full set of fur clothes and bedroll, the limited shelter on the map is much less of an issue.

I have a "Love/Hate" relationship with FM.  Sometimes its great, others it seems to be against you.

Started an interloper run once and found combat boots and a big coat in the homestead and I was amazed and happy.  I was in love with FM that time.

The zone has a great quality to it.  Lots of stuff to do, and search, and explore.  Lots of opportunity for food (animals and cat tails) and really good places of shelter that keeps cabin fever away.

Started another interloper run and got stuck on the little islands out in the middle of the water with wolves in every direction and no where to run that would not get me wet through thin ice.  One wolf decided I was snack worthy and started chase.  I ran the opposite direction only to get too close to another, and then turned to run the best I could away from him and into another wolf I went.  Its the only time I had three wolves actively chasing me.  I hated FM for that.

Its a stupid map and I hate it.

My biggest issue with FM is the lack of cloth.  Since we have to repair so much now it's hard to stay on the map because there's no cloth re-supply (such as beachcombing, or an ample supply of clothes and curtains to harvest).  If we could craft a hat from animal furs, I would definitely give it another try.

8 hours ago, Tenasi Vol said:

I have a "Love/Hate" relationship with FM.  Sometimes its great, others it seems to be against you.

Started an interloper run once and found combat boots and a big coat in the homestead and I was amazed and Started another interloper run and got stuck on the little islands out in the middle of the water with wolves in every direction and no where to run that would not get me wet through thin ice.  One wolf decided I was snack worthy and started chase.  I ran the opposite direction only to get too close to another, and then turned to run the best I could away from him and into another wolf I went.  Its the only time I had three wolves actively chasing me.  I hated FM for that.

This is pretty brave. Probably the only benefit to starting here in interloper is quick access to Mystery Lake; otherwise I definitely see it as a late game map that requires a relatively high level of gear in order to live in properly.

7 hours ago, Ruruwawa said:

My biggest issue with FM is the lack of cloth.  Since we have to repair so much now it's hard to stay on the map because there's no cloth re-supply (such as beachcombing, or an ample supply of clothes and curtains to harvest).  If we could craft a hat from animal furs, I would definitely give it another try.

Personally, I think the lack of a fur hat is a big shortcoming of the game in general. Frostbite is rough.

@mattyboiMy biggest problem with the map is the wolf respawn rate and placement.  Other maps if you're clever you can generally avoid the furballs, in FM its much harder to do that and they come back very quickly.  The last time I spent a day or 10 in FM I ended up with another fur coat plus spares galore.  Since my cooking was at 5 at least the meat didn't go to waste.

@Jolan That's actually one of the things I found easy about it. You can live at Poacher's and hunt from that dead tree with near impunity. The footpaths of the wolves go virtually under that tree; you don't even have to lure them in. And every so often you get a bear as well. Really, the only problem is just trying to get enough sticks to cook the meat.

1 hour ago, mattyboi said:

@Jolan That's actually one of the things I found easy about it. You can live at Poacher's and hunt from that dead tree with near impunity. The footpaths of the wolves go virtually under that tree; you don't even have to lure them in. And every so often you get a bear as well. Really, the only problem is just trying to get enough sticks to cook the meat.

that tree is handy :) , but I'd rather hunt deer up on the ledge or over in the bowl by the overlook...all in all its a map that holds my interest for a handful of days usually not more than 10 or so and I'm off to another map.  

I believe once moose are implemented the maps allure will change drastically, (deer will probably be rare, wolves and bear might drop in frequency as well) as for now, the map is simply a place i go to in late game when you're trying to gather supplies to maintain an established base (and forge) Early game i get off that map as soon as i possibly can.

15 hours ago, MarrowStone said:

I believe once moose are implemented the maps allure will change drastically, (deer will probably be rare, wolves and bear might drop in frequency as well) as for now, the map is simply a place i go to in late game when you're trying to gather supplies to maintain an established base (and forge) Early game i get off that map as soon as i possibly can.

Interesting; have the devs hinted that this may happen? I have a hard time believing they'd reduce predator frequently anywhere, especially in Stalker/Interloper.

I've made quick trips into Muskeg in some early game to try to find loot at Poacher's. It's otherwise too brutal to try long term if you don't have enough clothes/equipment.

59 minutes ago, mattyboi said:

Interesting; have the devs hinted that this may happen? I have a hard time believing they'd reduce predator frequently anywhere, especially in Stalker/Interloper.

I've made quick trips into Muskeg in some early game to try to find loot at Poacher's. It's otherwise too brutal to try long term if you don't have enough clothes/equipment.

No they havent hinted, but since moose will no doubt be a dangerous animal to encounter, the bear and wolves in some certain areas may just be placeholders for when they do arrive.

I think FM is one of the best maps. However, I think that you should start somewhere else (I prefer Desolation Point) then gradually migrate to FM when you have enough supplies.

I'm on a run there now thats lasted over 14 days easily, but thats after I walked there with a gun, bow, cloth, tools, some food, and warm clothes. The best strategy for me is to cut wood during the day, eat whatever food I have rationed at night before sleeping, then during the night (I also stay at the homestead) I pass the time for a few hours to make sure its warm enough for me to sleep. Once I got frostbite while sleeping in the homestead, later I realized it was because I walked around during the day, got my gloves wet and didn't take the time to dry them before trying to sleep...It permanently dropped my condition to 70. Be careful and watch how wet your clothes are getting when you're walking around.

Occasionally, I like to walk to the indoor cave and stay a day or so. I pretty much starve myself during the day, mainly because I want to ration the supplies and meat I have to stay at FM as long as I can.

My favorite aspect of the map is that you can be in the homestead, warm and cozy, while watching a blizzard rage right next to you. Its also great for hunting because you can just set your meat on the snowy floor and it will last a long time.

On 5/3/2017 at 10:30 AM, Salty Crackers said:

Am I the only one who usually camps at the Spence Homestead?

No, you're not. If you have a long fire going in the forge, that bed stays nice and warm all night, whatever the weather.

Archived