A lumberjacks dream, CABIN BUILDING!

Docterrok

I've always had the thought of finding research books on say basic woodworking/carpentry, and being able to make basic bits of furniture, shelters etc. Finding like a saw, or even a woodworking station you could use would be unreal.

Even if you had to spend days and days building something, it could be a really neat feature. Not sure if that would completely break the game though, i.e. building a lot of them as halfway houses between locations.

The only way I could see it working is if it were essentially an advanced Snow Shelter.  Low, squat, unobtrusive; like a very crude fishing hut with stiff requirements for placement.  I would imagine it lasting longer than a snow shelter and perhaps providing protection from animal attacks, but the warmth bonus would probably be around the same. 

Our survivor just does not have the tools, materials or expertise to build another Trapper's Homestead.

If we're feeling fancy, maybe give it some small amount of storage.  I would imagine it requiring a hatchet, quality tools, and a whole lot of Fir firewood and cloth.  To avoid a silly situation like "rapidly building a log cabin to avoid an oncoming bear", maybe have it require multiple lengthy phases.  Step 1 is the Frame, and this is where the humble outhouse-like structure is positioned.  The frame can then be interacted with like a carcass, where you can now build walls and roof.  Only when that is complete does "interacting" enter the structure. Or at least, that's how I think I'd do it.

3 minutes ago, ArmagedDan said:

The only way I could see it working is if it were essentially an advanced Snow Shelter.

I agree - there are already plenty of buildings around. 

However, I wouldn't mind seeing the capability to build simple structures.  Such as a hunting blind or elevated food storage unit (would only be relevant if the predators were able to sense the food left outside).

7 minutes ago, Timber Wolf said:

I agree - there are already plenty of buildings around. 

However, I wouldn't mind seeing the capability to build simple structures.  Such as a hunting blind or elevated food storage unit (would only be relevant if the predators were able to sense the food left outside).

Blinds, tree stands, and elevated food caches would all be nice.

As far as shelters go... I'd be happy be able to build a simple lean-to from boughs. Unfortunately, the only difference between a lean-to and the snow cave would be the use of boughs instead of cloth so I don't see it happening anytime soon.

There are plenty of main buildings to enter and maybe alter in the near future. 

If anything for extra building options, maybe some sort of hunting /viewing small wooden building? bit like the current hunters hides? I.E. it would be a small one space area/floor area. One would have to collect and prepare all logs etc to build it. how long to build? 

hunting-watchtower.jpg

4 hours ago, nicko said:

There are plenty of main buildings to enter and maybe alter in the near future. 

If anything for extra building options, maybe some sort of hunting /viewing small wooden building? bit like the current hunters hides? I.E. it would be a small one space area/floor area. One would have to collect and prepare all logs etc to build it. how long to build? 

hunting-watchtower.jpg

With power tools an afternoon. With hand tools... you're looking at a lot of work

I was going to make my own topic with wishes, but since it's similar I figured I might aswell throw it in here ;)

I'd like to see more crafting options in general, mainly things like shelves and containers. Instead of being able to make your own shelter, I'd much prefer the option to fix places like the mountaineers hut in Timberwolf mountain (I just want to fix that hole in the roof) or the half-destroyed houses that are pretty much everywhere. Could give us the option to use (large amounts of) wood, reclaimed, cedar or fir, to close up the holes, using scrap metal (maybe crafted into nails first) or rope/gut to keep it all together. Add a makeshift door and boom: shelter. You'd be sheltered from the wind and gain a slight warmth bonus when it's fully enclosed, just like the mountaineers hut. The snow could melt by itself once the structure was fully enclosed or there could be an option to scoop, sweep or otherwise get it out.

Also I just want to be able to close and open the windows in that mountaineers hut, grown to love that place. That's also the reason I'd like craftable shelves, there's so little storage space and I like having all my stuff sorted!

12 hours ago, ArmagedDan said:

Our survivor just does not have the tools, materials or expertise to build another Trapper's Homestead.

Obviously, she would need to find a book: "How to Build your Comfy Log Cabin" by Popular Logger. 9_9

A larger axe and possibly a bark peeler/draw bar and a cross cut saw would be the required tools.

I have no idea of implementation costs for a log cabin. I suppose the interior would be a standard cabin template but it would also be nice to be able to look outside as some of the exterior location shelters do. Hopefully that would reduce complexity.

21 minutes ago, Renn said:

I was going to make my own topic with wishes, but since it's similar I figured I might aswell throw it in here ;)

I'd like to see more crafting options in general, mainly things like shelves and containers. Instead of being able to make your own shelter, I'd much prefer the option to fix places like the mountaineers hut in Timberwolf mountain (I just want to fix that hole in the roof) or the half-destroyed houses that are pretty much everywhere. Could give us the option to use (large amounts of) wood, reclaimed, cedar or fir, to close up the holes, using scrap metal (maybe crafted into nails first) or rope/gut to keep it all together. Add a makeshift door and boom: shelter. You'd be sheltered from the wind and gain a slight warmth bonus when it's fully enclosed, just like the mountaineers hut. The snow could melt by itself once the structure was fully enclosed or there could be an option to scoop, sweep or otherwise get it out.

Also I just want to be able to close and open the windows in that mountaineers hut, grown to love that place. That's also the reason I'd like craftable shelves, there's so little storage space and I like having all my stuff sorted!

Exactly my thoughts. I'd also add the option to improve doors and windows for better isolation, cover them with cloths or pelts, etc. Did I say isolation? Well... maybe this could also introduce that feature in houses/places, the more isolation, the faster it'll warm and slower it'll lose temperature from fires. Am I saying house temperatures wouldn't be that warm but could maintain their heat with fires? Well... yeah! There could also be other crafting options like stoves with plant pots and candles. Omg, did I say candles?... ok, I'll stop.

54 minutes ago, Kyopaxa said:

Exactly my thoughts. I'd also add the option to improve doors and windows for better isolation, cover them with cloths or pelts, etc. Did I say isolation? Well... maybe this could also introduce that feature in houses/places, the more isolation, the faster it'll warm and slower it'll lose temperature from fires. Am I saying house temperatures wouldn't be that warm but could maintain their heat with fires? Well... yeah! There could also be other crafting options like stoves with plant pots and candles. Omg, did I say candles?... ok, I'll stop.

I feel that decoration like posters, bobbleheads, and snow globes would be a welcome addition.

I was perusing the steam reviews for a different survival game, Stranded Deep. A prevailing theme for the most recent reviews were that the Devs of that game had lost their way, according to the reviewers. Their main complaint was that in recent updates, the Stranded Deep Devs had put so much time and effort into upgrading and adding new crafting and building options that the game had begun to lose the things about it that made it great to begin with. One post in particular described an early playthrough where they thought they were good with their journey, but it quickly went south and they almost died. (Sound familiar?). But since then, there had been too much focus on making more crap to build and too little focus on making it feel like a true risk vs. reward survival game. 

For one, that is what I love most about TLD. Ever since I started playing, I've loved the genuine emotions that this game forces me to experience by playing. I'm not saying that I'm against more craftable items. But I don't want the spirit of what makes TLD so great to be lost in the effort. Would it be neat to build a cabin wherever I want? Maybe. But that's not what TLD is about IMHO. There are plenty of habitable structures scattered throughout the game. Sure they might not always have all the storage I would want, or they might be located at a somewhat inconvenient spot on the map. But part of choosing to bed down in them is accepting the 'Risk vs. Reward' aspect of staying there. And the decisions I have to make in order to stay there. I love that anytime i walk outside in this game, there's a very real chance that I won't be coming back home at night. That raw realness is one of the biggest reason TLD is such a great game. And I'd hate to lose that because the focus shifted from making a great survival game to making a great living in the woods game.

I'm sure TLD team are focused and won't go adding crafting options or any new additions willy nilly.

Also my suggestion I was thinking the small hunting post might be an optional feature in near future, that is up to you to build or not and has no negative effects if you build it or not. You would get bonus effect of course such as shelter/warmth etc.

On 4/20/2017 at 1:29 PM, MrNicoras said:

I was perusing the steam reviews for a different survival game, Stranded Deep. A prevailing theme for the most recent reviews were that the Devs of that game had lost their way, according to the reviewers.

I bought Stranded Deep the day it came out in early access (Australian development team) and i'm petrified of deep water, so figured i'd give it a go and completely s**t my pants (which I did.) But that's the reason I stopped playing, literally. It ruined the game as it just wasn't what I EXPECTED it to become. I haven't played in a while, so I have no idea what it's like these days, but at the time I stopped I could see it only going further and further away from the initial idea of the game; survival.

I do have reservations about how much crafting SHOULD be in a survival game. As pointed out by a few people in this thread, the ability to construct like a full on log cabin equipped with all these homely features would just completely disengage me from the game. Currently, I like the thought of having pre-determined structures, it means you have to plan a lot more (so you don't get caught completely in a blizzard), and strategically map out where you want to head to next. 

As I said earlier though, I would still like the ability to be able to craft more 'survival' type structures; an improved snow shelter for instance (even if it takes days to make), a small hunting blind, or even simple things like a basic pair of snow shoes. With things like research now a part of the game, I feel this would be such a seamless transition; finding books to research new crafting recipes, increase crafting skill etc, and simultaneously forcing the player to battle the elements in order to find them.

Survival shouldn't necessarily be a complete acceptance of hopelessness, and if I was to put myself in a potential position of 'surviving' myself, I feel that even faced with death at every corner, i'd still spend time looking to better my last moments alive.

Just my two cents with it all, but completely agree with @MrNicoras; don't go overboard and completely break the game, and turn it into a building simulator.

Archived